New places to fish.

Mighty Sylvan

Every year a group of my friends start the season off with a fishing trip together. We are always looking for new places and lodges.
We are a group of around ten with 4-5 boats. Places that are out because we have fished there are:
Barkley Sound
Winter Harbour
Nanaimo
Port Alberni

We need:
Bring your own boat
Meals
moorage
ice

Areas of Interest are:
Vancouver
Victoria
Campbell River
Gulf Islands
Port Hardy
Port McNeil

Mid June is the time.
Your suggestions will be appreciated.

MS

We fished Campbell river and area for the first time last year. Pretty easy to fish lots of amenities very close to the dock. Was meant to be hot fishing but we just missed it I guess, didn't get a spring there just lots of coho. Still a great time. We fished grants reef on the way back and it was unreal fishing there. Epsom pt sounds like it's been fishing very well all season so far. I assume you have fished out of silva bay on gabriola, typically this is good fishing in june. I think hardy would be a sweet option, stories of big springs, halibut and yellow eye. Not sure if mid June is early for there though.

Sooke Has some great fishing West of Victoria. I usually book at the Sooke Harbour resort which has a nice marina. Not sure you can stay on your boat though, but they have nice large townhouses that accommodate 10 plus people. Close to the grounds. Another option would be Nootka Sound. Lots of spots to anchor up on the pick or moor overnight like Critter Cove. Nootka has great protected inshore fishing or offshore if you are a bit more adventurous. It's a great place for a large group.

Sooke - Sunny Shores if you want to camp.
Gold River/ Nootka Sound. Beautiful area and the fishing has always been good to me.

It was my first time to the sunshine Coast a few weeks back. Fishing has been quite good. You can fish live bait. And places like Pender Harbor will have all you need. Worth a look.

I know it's not on your list but what about somewhere like Flynn's Cove which is on Nootka Island kind of at the head of Esperanza side to the north side of the Island? Could drive into Gold River and run around or launch at Cougar Creek or in Tahsis?

http://www.nootka.ca/

I know it's not on your list but what about somewhere like Flynn's Cove which is on Nootka Island kind of at the head of Esperanza side to the north side of the Island? Could drive into Gold River and run around or launch at Cougar Creek or in Tahsis?

http://www.nootka.ca/
Launch in Gold river, yes, but any boats on trailer and larger than 20 feet, I would not recommend trailering all the way into Cougar Creek. Gravel Road base is ok (not great, but ok) but the hills are extreme. I certainly would not want to take a 24 foot Boston whaler in there by Trailer.

I hear Ya finner.....was picked up in there about 5 years ago and it was rough enough in the truck.

Have never been all the way to Tahsis but I guess that could be an option. I guess Zeballos could be an option too.

Launch in Gold river, yes, but any boats on trailer and larger than 20 feet, I would not recommend trailering all the way into Cougar Creek. Gravel Road base is ok (not great, but ok) but the hills are extreme. I certainly would not want to take a 24 foot Boston whaler in there by Trailer.

I totally agree. I pulled my tin boat there years ago and I'm sure I left some rivets on the road.

Try Powell River
Beach Gardens Resort has a marina.
Multiple spots around the local area to try from Scotch Fir to the Raggeds at Lund and many spots in between.
Tired of salt fishing drop in Powell Lake and go trout. 15 minutes away

I was in Powell River in March. There was guys coming in with fish back then. I will short list PR. Has anyone been to Duval Point Lodge in Port Hardy?

I haven't been to Duvall Point of Port Hardy, but would definitely be interested to hear from more who have. I heard it was pretty good up there last year with the strange warm water off WCVI...maybe similar this summer?

Back