Brand new guy looking to purchase

Pearl dog

Hi all,
I've been lurking here and clearly there is allot of experience and knowledge to draw on. I'm switching boating "modes" from cruising to fishing. Looking for a 20 foot trophy/campion/double eagle fishing machine. There's a few around but my question is....
How much of a premium will I pay buying in June? It seems like a bad idea but how bad? I wanna get out there so that's worth something I guess. Wasn't looking in December so don't know how the market swings. Appreciate any comments.
Cheers

my friend was checking out that size boat in feb /mar, this year. At Parksville boathouse, they did not stay on the lot more than a short period. Manager had said, these are popular and moving, saw same thing in Victoria, saw and answered other ads in Vancouver, only to find the boat sold quickly, or was gone already.. We did not see any winter discount..

if that helps..

Pearl dog. I was in the same spot last year. I looked around and decided to wait till winter. I bought a new to me campion explorer 542 in Calgary in January. Nice clean boat, all fresh water use and low hours on the outboard. Price was really good. Had to fly out there and store it till april. Hauled it back and still came out $8 - $9k less.

whats your budget

as boats can go for as little as 2K- 25K+

i know of a 20' kellahan set up for fishing for 25K with trailer

I purchased my boat this time of year, and I had trouble getting to see boats before they were snatched up. If a boat is priced right ,it will be gone! I don't thing the asking price will go up that much, but with so many more people looking for boats this time of year, there is a lot less room to haggle with the seller.

Also less time for newbies like me to arrange a pre-purchase inspection at this time of year. On the other hand, good luck getting a sea trial in Calgary in January :)

Boats are where you find them-and when!! This is not an ordered market-you have to access your needs-sort out your budget and decide what type of boat you want. Boats come on the market for many reasons-some to do with the time of year and some to do with personal reasons such as age and inability to use the boat anymore. Every boat has a story-you just have to listen and see if that story fits you. The reason I speak like that is that I have turned 68, I have a gorgeous Skagit Orca with a brand new 300 hp Yamaha on it-at some point in time I will have to let it go-it will be an emotional decision-not driven by time of year but by health or other factor. What I'm getting at is get yourself ready-know what you need, the right boat could come up at any time, for any number of reasons and you should be ready to get it. Don't wait for a specific time or another season will pass you by. My 2 cents

What i did was i saw a boat i liked and i went and asked the guy if he would sell it or was thinking about ever selling it… Long story short he did want to sell and we made a deal.. Don't be afraid to ask someone if they want to sell there boat.. A lot of times people want to go smaller-bigger or want out all together.. Just a thought..

Boats are where you find them-and when!! This is not an ordered market-you have to access your needs-sort out your budget and decide what type of boat you want. Boats come on the market for many reasons-some to do with the time of year and some to do with personal reasons such as age and inability to use the boat anymore. Every boat has a story-you just have to listen and see if that story fits you. The reason I speak like that is that I have turned 68, I have a gorgeous Skagit Orca with a brand new 300 hp Yamaha on it-at some point in time I will have to let it go-it will be an emotional decision-not driven by time of year but by health or other factor. What I'm getting at is get yourself ready-know what you need, the right boat could come up at any time, for any number of reasons and you should be ready to get it. Don't wait for a specific time or another season will pass you by. My 2 cents

Know what you want, do a lot or research and take your time. A boat can be bought quickly, but selling a dud is another story.

It might be worth your while to check Seattle CL for an Arima. Excellent crafted boats specifically designed for west coast fishing. How do I know? I'm on my second one..upgraded to the 19 hart top and haven't looked back. Good luck with your search!

I am contemplating selling my Explorer 552 let me know if it interests you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cf580602119b88044873574077e2fe3a.jpg
a1f42b0fff3622f22d4d0efee5a45e63.jpg
fe0c1e4851d22465efbbeda94b51aea8.jpg
34d173fd836b30fc56174a1a5409076b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I replied to a couple private messages (i think/hope). Appreciate the thoughts on your boats. I know this isnt the buy and sell thread but I will just mention that with the wife involved and coming from a "classic" cruiser she has a couple demands.... A head, a clean cuddy and a modern look 2000+. Am I eliminating some quality boats with this?.....perhaps. Am I going to argue with a woman who wants a boat?.....no
Cheers

Thanks guys. I replied to a couple private messages (i think/hope). Appreciate the thoughts on your boats. I know this isnt the buy and sell thread but I will just mention that with the wife involved and coming from a "classic" cruiser she has a couple demands.... A head, a clean cuddy and a modern look 2000+. Am I eliminating some quality boats with this?.....perhaps. Am I going to argue with a woman who wants a boat?.....no
Cheers
Absolutely correct attitude! Never argue with a woman who is "on board" with you having a boat!! LOL Involve her in the process-you'll wind up with a lot better boat-believe me!! Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back