Cattle Point Launch Dock?

It is still unbelievable the shortage of boat launches here. Maybe with the election we can pester the candidates on this. The federal government has the power for approval and out in Pat Bay they own a huge chunk of it but won't let the public have access. The safest place to put a launch. Maybe should start another thread about that.

....funniest thing I saw there was years ago--a guy in a small boat must have come in late the night before and tied up to the south ramp for the night. And of course was left high and dry the next morning when everyone showed up to launch for the day. The guy was still sleeping it off in his boat as everyone had to launch around him...jeeeez!!

A local option is to join the RVYC down the street. It has a decent ramp -- super well protected and suitable for boats roughly up to about 24ft (a second larger ramp going in next year). Free parking. Great/cheap pub. New cleaning station. Free sailboats, paddleboards and kayaks to use. Boat lifts, tools and options for summer moorage via sublet, or permanent moorage. Best docks in the PNW all new in 2014/5. Cost runs about $90/mo plus initiation (based on age). It's a cool place -- been a member since 2007.

Yes, it's hard to beat free :) We're lucky locally to have Cattle Point and not have to pay for either a launch or parking. Tulista Park in Sidney is $10/launch which includes parking if there is a free spot -- otherwise, parking at the lot down the street is $6 for the car, and $6 for the trailer per 24 hours.

The Tour de Victoria cycle race is this Saturday August 18
beach drive will be closed from 10:00 till approx 3:00 pm
(ramp will not be accessible)

A dock will never happen in that area. Too windy in the winter and its not sheltered enough in the summer. What they need to do, our should have done years ago is have an accessible ramp at Oak Bay Marina as it is sheltered and has a break wall. They do have a launch there but it is for Oak bay Marina only and its terrible as you can only use it on high tides. That is the best solution as they have a huge parking lot and it would bring a lot of customers into Oak Bay Marina cafe and shop. Not sure why they have never done this. Even if it was a pay launch it would get used a lot. Anyway that is the best solution for Oak Bay is Oak Bay Marina needs to step up. They surely can afford to put a ramp in with the price of marked Gas they charge $1.62 for marked gas really. Disappointing for sure!

Last edited:
Oak Bay Marina area seems like a logical additional launch site. Their parking lot is huge and always empty. And that area already has a breakwater. Not even sure what they have for a launch atm. They must have something, but I don't believe it's publically available. I'm sure anything that went in here would have a cost tho.....

Oak Bay Marina area seems like a logical additional launch site. Their parking lot is huge and always empty. And that area already has a breakwater. Not even sure what they have for a launch atm. They must have something, but I don't believe it's publically available. I'm sure anything that went in here would have a cost tho.....

Yes Oak Bay Marina has a launch but its only for Oak Bay Marina Moored customers. But it can only be used at higher tides as it is very very shallow where the launch is. They could easily put a new launch in but it would cost money and they don't want to spend money. Not sure why. Pedder Bay Marina has a incredible Launch. It doesn't make sense that Oak Bay Marina does not have a proper launch it would bring in more traffic to the Marina. Even if they helped out and gave funds to Oak Bay Municipality to help rebuild the launch at Cattle Point. Both would benefit from the situation. Oak Bay is a great launching point for many islands, fishing, sight seeing etc. Not sure why there has never been a satisfactory launch in and around the area. Its crazy.

Back