Leaking Bung Hole

drmadcow

I've got an early 1950s Crestliner Aluminum boat which has a lot of sentimental value (first boat I fished out of), however the bung leaks regardless of bung. I've contacted the manufacturer to get the bung thread size but the new bung still leaks, to reduce the leak I've wrapped the bung in a plastic bag before inserting it but there is still some leaking. The bilge can take care of the remaining leak but I'd like to fix this issue. Does anyone know of a Southern Vancouver Island company that can re-drill the bung for a larger bung, or offer some other solution?

sounds painful, go see the doctor.

build up plug with teflon tape, dry the hole and use liquid teflon on it. install.

build up plug with teflon tape, dry the hole and use liquid teflon on it. install.

That sounds like a bit of a permanent solution, but I will keep it in mind. The bung is awfully handy to get all the water out of the boat after a trip, or in the winter when it rains.

Like Dave S has in his bottom pic the inserts come in bronze, alum, and sst. There is a tool from I think sea dog to flair both ends and fit a new plug. Just make sure what metal you are using with alum, don't want to start the dreaded pitting.

I've seen those in Capital Iron. I'm sure Westmarine and Trotac would stock them as well. There are a few different sizes.

teflon is not permanent at all,,, a simple fix.

If the threads are worn down, why not just try a replacement expandible rubber drain plug? Odds are if you crank on it hard enough the soft rubber will fill up the grooves and seal. OR run thick axle grease in the threads first, then put in the new rubber plug???

Drewski

Back