Rain Gear

For bullet proof rain gear Id recommend Helly Hansens Armour jacket and bib pants. They aren't fancy with pockets and hand warmers but they are very durable.

As mentioned Gage (Grundens) is another good option.

This is more workwear than high end raingear. So it depends what you're after but I've definitely put the HH and gage gear to the test and will re buy when necessary.

HH --- enough said.

^^^^^ this!

The real test is day after day after day wet weather. High end "breathable" crashes and burns after a few days, and becomes a lumpen soggy mess.

HH is like the Ever-ready Bunny~~ dries in minutes and keeps on shedding.

I tried a very expensive Goretex jacket on a 6 day river trip up in Alaska where the word rain is just part of the vocabulary-- big mistake. Almost ruined the trip

^^^^^ this!

The real test is day after day after day wet weather. High end "breathable" crashes and burns after a few days, and becomes a lumpen soggy mess.

HH is like the Ever-ready Bunny~~ dries in minutes and keeps on shedding.

Have been wearing the Simms Pro Dry pants in torrential rains locally as well as off Kyuquot and Tofino the past couple years....day in and day out. Stayed nice and dry, comfortable....and no sweaty balls like when wearing rubber. :p

You wanna be comfortable, dry (inside and out).....don't judge the new Simms stuff til you've tried. ;)

I agree with pipps.
my kids literally hosed me down when I got my pro dry bibs and jacket, and I walked away bone dry, I wanted to see how well the could withstand water with some pressure behind it
and they did it very well,
I wear them in torrential rain all the time, dry, warm and very light, no sweaty feel from rubber suits, quite often all I have on under the jacket is a tee shirt, the gortex keeps me that warm
not putting the other guys down, just stating my experience with the Simms proDry
keep an eye on tackledirect.com for 50% off sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
My HH was great but the zippers would always oxidize and seize. After throwing two perfectly good jackets away I finally switched to gage which has buttons and neoprene cuffs. Buttons are a pain but at least they should last.

I find any goretex gear I've owned is great for a season or 2 then looses its water resistance and is useless. Mind you I haven't dropped $600 on a sims jacket.

My HH was great but the zippers would always oxidize and seize. After throwing two perfectly good jackets away I finally switched to gage which has buttons and neoprene cuffs. Buttons are a pain but at least they should last.

I find any goretex gear I've owned is great for a season or 2 then looses its water resistance and is useless. Mind you I haven't dropped $600 on a sims jacket.

Try waxing the zippers. We used to do this on our drysuits back in my windsurfing days. It really helps them last :).

Kelly.....if you find you are losing the waterproofing in ANY Gore product it is recommended to wash it and then dry it in the dryer; I was unaware of that. After a trek in Tofino last year with numerous fishing days my pants were covered in blood, slime etc and certainly weren't something my gal was going to let me just hang in a closet when we got home. :p

Got in touch with Simms about cleaning and along with the mentioning of it being safe to machine wash the gal told me all about the dryer and how it restores "gore" should one ever find an issue with it losing it's proofing capabilities.

Kelly.....if you find you are using the resistance in ANY Gore product it is recommended to wash it and then dry it in the dryer; I was unaware of that. After a trek in Tofino last year with numerous fishing days my pants were covered in blood, slime etc and certainly weren't something my gal was going to let me just hang in a closet when we got home. :p Got in touch with Simms about cleaning and along with the mentioned of being safe to machine wash the gal told me all about the dryer and how it restores "gore" should one ever find an issue with it losing it's proofing capabilities.

Bang on. I learned this with my first Taiga jacket I bought at the factory in Vancouver when I was a teenager. That jacket was unreal for workmanship and quality.

Anyone have any warranty dealings with Simms? I run Klim GoreTex gear for sledding and love the gear and material, what's better is the no-questions-asked warranty service. If you are going to spend $500 on a jacket, its good to know you can send it back if theres an issue. I would like to get some simms gear for fishing this year

harper.....good question! The mention of coverage on their site seems to be more wader focussed.

I have had some correspondence back and forth with someone there while trying to figure out what jacket I was going to purchase. Was looking at a couple of them but one I couldn't find anywhere locally to try on.

Anyhow....fired an email off to ask.

***EDIT

Well that came back quickly!! Not surprised to hear that it sounds to be pretty good as I know I have heard their wader coverage is quite good.

At Simms we stand behind everythingwe make. If your Simms product fails due to workmanship or materialdefect during the life of the product, please return it to us for repair orreplacement. This warranty does not cover damages caused by impropercare, accidents, or the natural breakdown of materials over extended use oftime. All defective or damaged products should be returned to Simms forevaluation and will be repaired or replaced at the discretion of Simms.<o:p></o
This is ablanket statement for all products.

Anyone have any warranty dealings with Simms? I run Klim GoreTex gear for sledding and love the gear and material, what's better is the no-questions-asked warranty service. If you are going to spend $500 on a jacket, its good to know you can send it back if theres an issue. I would like to get some simms gear for fishing this year

Yeah, I've had one warranty issue with them. I bought a Simms wading staff that was on clearance once. I worked it hard for one season. The next year, the little connector that holds the pieces together with stainless wire slipped inside the staff and the staff because all loose and would not go together without coming apart easily. I took the staff, and laid it on a piece of cardboard. With a Sharpie marker, I then wrote on the inside of the cardboard the following message: "THIS BROKE". I tossed in my business card, wrapped the thing up with packing tape, and tossed it in our outbound courier. in a week, they called me to apologize that my new one would be a few more weeks as they had redesigned the staff and wanted to make sure I got the most current model as it addressed this particular flaw. Sure enough 3 weeks later, the new staff arrived at my desk with a nice letter thanking me for my patience, a nice Simms hat, and a stack of Simms stickers.

I have 2 pairs of Simms Gore-Tex waders, a Guide Jacket, a hoodie, a light jacket, and insulated jacket, and a couple pair of their fleece pants to wear inside waders. I have never had a single issue with their clothing and it's all got 5 or more seasons on it.

F

I have used the new Rapala Interface Rain Suit for last guiding season, stuff is bullet proof and good price. You can get both the bib pants and jacket. The pants fit 1 size larger than you normally take. I usually get an XXL, but for the suit I got an XXL jacket and an XL bib.

http://rapala.ca/products/interface-rain-jacket

Are the terrace bibs insulated? I can only find the insulated version online.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Check out Zephron rain gear; really durable and waterproof gear that will last for years.

Back