Halibut Spots around the Gulf Islands

FisherTim

Hey,

I've spent my last 3 Hali fishing days at the same spot, Anchored off the south point of Moresby Island(SGI), picked up a couple dogs and a big octopus, but no slabs.

Anybody have a good Halibut spot within about 10NM of Pender Island? I was hoping for a little change in luck, maybe up to 180' deep, my 250' Rode can't really handle any more...

Suggestions appreciated.

FT

I couldn't get the damn thing in the boat, I had forgotten my gaff, otherwise it would be cleaned and in the freezer by now...

I would look at running to zero rock....Its a little farther I think 11-12NM depending on where you leave from pender...But that's a good area.

Well I had to ask, just the kind of guy that I am! I agree with SV, also What about around either end of Poulier pass, or the SE side of the reef at the end Halibut Island also either end of Mandarte. Maybe behind The reef at Hambley

Hey,

I've spent my last 3 Hali fishing days at the same spot, Anchored off the south point of Moresby Island(SGI), picked up a couple dogs and a big octopus, but no slabs.

Anybody have a good Halibut spot within about 10NM of Pender Island? I was hoping for a little change in luck, maybe up to 180' deep, my 250' Rode can't really handle any more...

Suggestions appreciated.

FT

Try these spots.

48.776493, -123.275470
48.803437, -123.276142

Try the area between the southern end of Sidney Island and the northern tip of Darcy Island. I have caught some decent halibut there. Don't remember the exact depth through there but around 150 - 200' as I recall. Good luck.

An old commercial longliner friend of mine wayy back said he ran into them in Plumper Channel, and on a regular basis off South Pender on the shelf there. Needless to say, carefull checking of the current tables would be in order. However, I would say x2 head to D'Arcy or farther south. The Georgia Basin is not know for hot halibut fishing, but the odd straggler shows up.

Back