Re-powering options 90/115hp

sniperren

I will be re powering my 17.5 Malibu Tyee. I am running a 1993 Evenrude 90hp. Im curious to know what are the best dealerships on the South Island. I live between Nanaimo and Victoria.

I have alway been interested in the Evenrude E-tec. They sure look good on paper but anyone had the 3 cylinder 90hp etec? I believe they are offering a 7 year warranty. Im also considing Merc, Yamaha, and Suzuki. It's a lot of $ to drop and I just want to try to get as much info as possible before pulling the trigger.

I'm also trying to decide between a 90hp and 115hp.

All comments/experiences welcome.

Cheers

Sniperren

i just bought a new 115 etec for my 17 1/2 ' center console, only been out a coupla times but pretty damned happy with it. can't go wrong with a zuke either but suzuki seems to e scaling back a bit in canada. previously had a 90 zuke on it and it was great, just wanted a bit more power and i know the evinrude dealer and they are close. you have the right idea by asking about the best dealerships for sure. all the new motors are good imho. nice to be close to your dealer if you have any issues and you can muck with the props till ya get it right without havin to buy new ones. i'm on the mainland so can't help ya with the dealers.

cheers and gl

I just bought a Mercury 115CT, great motor. I got a seven year platimun warranty that covers me for parts and labour. Personlly I think Mercury has finally stepped up thier game and become the best outboard motor on the market.

Repowered with a mecury 200 HP verado last fall. Very pleased with performance (power/gas miledge), quietness of engine and warranty available as fishin assassin mentioned.

the etec came with a 7 yr warranty, everything 1st 3 yrs, after that you pay the 1st $50. the merc at the boat show had a 3 yr wty + a 3 add on but if you wanted complete you had to pay some where around another $1800 can't remember the exact number. that may be more dealer specific though. the new merc hasn't been out long enough for me to buy one. the 1st batch had a few blow up at the lodges last season, they have corrected that problem though.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. That new 115hp Merc sure looks like a sweet motor!

Not to mention the lightest as well, 115 wight in at 350lbs compared to the 400lbs last years model. Be very similar weight to your 90 2 stroke.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. That new 115hp Merc sure looks like a sweet motor!

Not to mention the lightest as well, 115 wight in at 350lbs compared to the 400lbs last years model. Be very similar weight to your 90 2 stroke.

the new merc 75 90 and 115 are all the same weight, 359, they are an inline 4 where as some of the other motors are v4's

The Merc is 360 lbs. A 90 E-tec is 320 lbs. My buddy has a 90 E-tec on a 17.5 Double Eagle and it is a perfect match. The hole shot from the two stroke is unreal.

Back