fishing Tunkwa lake on August long weekend

sako79

well I got a family camping trip planned for Tunkwa Lake on August long weekend. I have never been there and I will be taking my 12 foot aluminum and my 9.9 Merc. I'm just wondering if somebody can give me some pointers and info of what type of fishing is best for there. I have a Scotty lake downrigger,but it doesn't look the lake the lake is deep so I'm wondering if it's not worth taking I'm not much of a fly fisherman yet I can dragonfly behind the boat..

well I got a family camping trip planned for Tunkwa Lake on August long weekend. I have never been there and I will be taking my 12 foot aluminum and my 9.9 Merc. I'm just wondering if somebody can give me some pointers and info of what type of fishing is best for there. I have a Scotty lake downrigger,but it doesn't look the lake the lake is deep so I'm wondering if it's not worth taking I'm not much of a fly fisherman yet I can dragonfly behind the boat..

Fly fishing is the norm there, in August the hatch can be varied. The lodge owners will let you know which flies to use at the time. Tough time of year to fish the usual patterns.

Leave the downrigger at home, you sure won't need it here. The biggest issue is wind, I have yet to be there on a calm day and a small boat is hard to control. We gave up and cast from the north shore, a spinner or spoon really carried. We caught a few small ones before retreating to a sheltered fire.

I camped and fished there 2 summers back. fishing s tough and slow in very hot days. The entire lake is very shallow but great flyfishing lake thou.
A few gear or flyfishers bought in some big fish around 20" that I witnessed at crack of dawn or very late sunset that where best bites were. Great scenery and wildlife!! Have a good time.

Back