Island Timberlands access changes?

one_gun

Went by Shawnigan access yesterday. Gate minder passed on he's been laid off, no one is replacing him. He doesn't know if the gates will be open after the end of this month. So what does this mean? Access to one of the best lakes on the island (Lois) is about to disappear? Not to mention several others back in those hills.

Went by Shawnigan access yesterday. Gate minder passed on he's been laid off, no one is replacing him. He doesn't know if the gates will be open after the end of this month. So what does this mean? Access to one of the best lakes on the island (Lois) is about to disappear? Not to mention several others back in those hills.

Well that really sucks. I hope they work something out. Not suprising though, the south island is so restricted in back country access. Are there any other gates that allow access? I know you can get in on weekends near parksville, but that would be a long trip to lois.

I too was by the gate recently and heard the same story really unfortunate what is happening. That is a busy road not just from fishing but if it is closed there will be a lot of people who will lose a great outdoor space for all sorts of activities.

I too was by the gate recently and heard the same story really unfortunate what is happening. That is a busy road not just from fishing but if it is closed there will be a lot of people who will lose a great outdoor space for all sorts of activities.

There are other ways in. I don't know them, but others do. A lake I fished on Saturday had a party of 6 between 2 trucks, camping. Nice folk, offered me some fresh cooked game from their BBQ. Island Timberlands doesn't allow camping, or overnighting of any kind. I should have asked them how they got in.

There are other ways in. I don't know them, but others do. A lake I fished on Saturday had a party of 6 between 2 trucks, camping. Nice folk, offered me some fresh cooked game from their BBQ. Island Timberlands doesn't allow camping, or overnighting of any kind. I should have asked them how they got in.

Back Routes onto the private lands is not the solution and will result in more problems with people abusing the land, vandalizing equipment, poaching fish, leaving garbage and just making a general mess not to mention the chance of forest fire during the dry season, people cannot be trusted anymore with that responsibility in the south island. If anything people currently tresspassing regardless if they mean well are part of the problem, certainly there is lots of people who respect the area but it only takes one stupid idiot to ruin it for the rest of us. In my opinion a security gate is the only way for these areas to be accessed on the south island anymore.

The security gate worked well when there was a problem with people poaching or someone doing something stupid it just needed to be reported to the attendant and all the license plates and info about the users is in place to document and punish the violators, it is/was the best system. I for one would be willing to pay an admission fee to keep the security guard and weekend access but there is very little information as to why the changes are occurring.

"Other ways in". That would explain why I recently came across a freshly stripped and dumped camper and several truck loads of garbage behind what I thought was locked gates. This was on Timber West land. They need to really crucify a few of these pigs to set an example.

I live up here.... In our community it irritates beyond belief how some of out of towners come here and screw everything up.. Don't worry on access... Even the forestry understands that our community is vulnerable if any emergency happens such as earthquakes etc...We are very rural and some of these roads are open for that reason... It will get figured out I am sure...

I live up here.... In our community it irritates beyond belief how some of out of towners come here and screw everything up.. Don't worry on access... Even the forestry understands that our community is vulnerable if any emergency happens such as earthquakes etc...We are very rural and some of these roads are open for that reason... It will get figured out I am sure...

I also live up here and spend a lot of time in the bush all across the island but I would not go as far to label people who are out of towners as the people who screw everything up locals can be as much to blame. The vandalism and lack of respect is a problem island wide it only increases when you have a greater population density in the area.

Well you can call me an out of towner as I hunt up there alot my dad first took me up there 40 years ago remember when they first did the gate thing with old Bill kletcie doing the gate and 120 to 150 trucks used to go in there everyone is to blame here there is no respect people shooting up stuff dumping garbage its wide spread I dont think an out of towner will drive all that way to dump ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I have a really sore spot with the garbage/toxic soil we already have coming up here from Victoria and surrounding areas in island.... Its just hard as our lake and surrounding area are just turning into a dumping ground. Its pretty sickening.. Not singling anyone out and so rephrase " the stupid people local /out of town ruining for the locals up here"

Just a little bitter about it truthfully.

But anyways I hope the gate can open again...

Island Timberlands is looking at a revised approach to the security measures we have in place across our private managed forest lands. This does include a change in priorities for security personnel such as gate attendants but does not necessarily include imminent and widespread gate closures. Many of the bloggers here recognize our serious concern of vandalism, theft and liability related to personal safety and environmental risks. Island Timberlands will continue to provide for recreational opportunities across the Island. Please refer to our blog - blog.islandtimberlands.com, for more information as the year carries on.

Back