Scotty Orca rod holders?

DONT USE EM. Ive personally witnessed multiple rods go flying overboard off other guide boats when those stupid things pop open by themselves.

Another vote for strikers for hali sit and wait fishin..has a little auto jig effect off the spring.

Not trusting enough for the orcas..plus how fast do you need that rod in your hands?
Maybe motor mooching when you can notice the smallest of hits and you want to strip out line,to simulate a stunned herring.but that can be done with the rod in the holder.

what advantages have people had with the orcas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of a few rods that went bye-bye with the Orcas, The ones from Cabelas are nice but if you have to make a quick sharp turn the rod holder may want to flip up and over, and the rod might shoot out like a torpedo, i had one on one side of my boat and was watching it on a turn and was thinking that could happen. I don't think they have locks on them to prevent that. They do click in when you set them if i remember but if you get some upward pressure as you do on a sharp turn you never know. I just stick with the holders on the downrigger boom's, and yes i agree the Scotty Striker's are my preference for Hali also.

Thanks guys-I really appreciate it-newer ain't always better-I 've never lost a rig to the standard holder-guess it comes down to "if it ain't broke don't mess with it"=enough guys have reported problems to make me rethink!!

Here the premo Rod holder is a Linninger. I think now called Haward fishing Rod holder. Expensive. But dipped bronze. What most of the party boats use. You can see them on the Outdoor Pro Shop in coati website.

There's a lock switch under the orca rod holder so it cant open by mistake. http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/orca-rodholder.htm
We use the Orca for Halibut fishing and have never lost a rod. Always make sure your drag is not over tight and you will be fine. Enjoy the Orca, a great rod holder.

yes but that is meant for use while travelling. what would be the point of a quick release rod holder if you had to unlock it first? 50% of people I know that use those have lost at least one rod overboard, possibly due to wear and tear maybe the latch mechanism wears out after time im not sure.

I got them cause I like the new cool gear, I mostly troll deep and this puts too much stress on them so you have to use the lock, even this comes open. Haven't lost any gear but light duty only holders. Gone back to striker style.

I've got a friend who has the Orcas on his boat. He's never had a problem with them opening up. I have 3 Folbes on my boat and have had them for 4 seasons. Very smooth, smoother than the Orca IMO. Never had an issue with opening on it's own or even close. I love them.

I know a few guys down south here that use them without issue as well, but what im saying is for every person I know that hasn't had a problem there are 2 people that have had problems. one thing I do know is that 100% of the time a stryker will not throw your rod overboard for you. to each their own, I do like "the idea" of the orcas but would not trust them with a personal 700$ rod and reel setup.

The first edition of Orcas worked well for about 4 months of use and then they became useless, loose and then they started open way to easy. Then Scotty came out with the second edition Orca rod holder last year which are a lot harder to open and have yet to loosen up like the 1st edition rod holders.

Make sure you buy second edition Orcas

They are great for salmon fishing and not so trust worthy for hali fish. If you are using them for hali fishing you better connect your rod and reel to the cleat on the boat..

The problem I find while using them for hali fishing is when the hali hits and the pull direction is downwards and could pop the rod holder open, whereas while trolling the hit pull direction is backwards and not as hard of hit because I’m using fishing line that stretches and gives for salmon fishing and braided (no stretch) for hali fishing.

What has this world come to? Guys want to fish with reels that creep, as its ok cause you can use lanyards with release clips. Then there's rod holders that pop open so you use another lanyard for that.

What happens if your using a creeping reel in a Orca?

Maybe Scotty and Islander could release a dual use lanyard with a release clip attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with those...on my buddy's boat his snapped in half at the pedestal when we were trolling deep...for no reason, just snapped.

My issue was a bit of user error, but kind of an easy mistake to make. We put the rod holders in the 'up position' to run. In a bit of a rush, so i am guessing I didn't get the 'gears' to lock properly in the upright position. Anyhow, we were running in rough seas, heard something, turned around and the holder had completely slipped and was pointing straight down into the drink. Over went to the inherited MR2 and HMX, never to be seen again...I am assuming thats what happened anyway.

No lanyards, no reel creep and touch wood never lost an outfit. Old scotty sidewinders and newer strikers. What are people talking about??

HM

I've used the Orcas on several charter trips in the past few years, I like the quick release and haven't seen a rod pop out. But the guides switch them out for bottom fishing though.

Back