First Nations, Union Agree Herring Fishery Should Stay Shut

Doesn't look good for Strait of Georgia either. 30,000 ton quota this year. Almost double last year's

The more they allow fishing herring the less salmon we will have. It is a clear case of DFO giving into short term, short sighted corporate greed against the attempts to increase wild salmon numbers over time. :mad:

The more they allow fishing herring the less salmon we will have. It is a clear case of DFO giving into short term, short sighted corporate greed against the attempts to increase wild salmon numbers over time. :mad:

Agree. Don't understand the short sighted herring harvest. Getting good numbers again so lets net more.

I just can't understand what the federal idiots are doing. They say they want to bring the Gulf Salmon back and then they want to increase the removal of they're main food supply. 30,0000 TON, think about that figure, all for two little roe sacks, the rest of the female and all the of males are ground up for god knows what. If it is just about the money don't they think an increased salmon fishery would be so much more valuable to everybody in the economic chain, campgrounds, guides, tackle shops, restaurants and on and on. Can someone please explain to me why this barbaric insanity goes on year after year. End of rant.

because a guy with lots of money owns the herring fleet and guys with lots of money only want one thing... more money.

There is plenty of salmon from farms for resteraunts and other consumers. If you believe the grocery stores farmed salmon is worth more then a wild fish anyways.

As for the economy - from a federal standpoint - the commercial sector lines politicians pockets the rec sector just helps retailers and a few hospitality jobs none of which are in ontario. So from their perspective the commercial sector gives them far more value.

Nothing will change until fisheries decisions are made with BC's interests in mind instead of "all canadians". This was the green platform.

Does the closure also include the harvesting of eggs? Might also aid the replenishment of the stock?

Just looked it up and its called the "spawn on kelp fishery".

Last edited by a moderator:
30,000 ton quota this year. Almost double last year's

This decision makes sense. As long as you got a high score on the delusional idiot test.

Does the closure also include the harvesting of eggs? Might also aid the replenishment of the stock?

Just looked it up and its called the "spawn on kelp fishery".
Nope, that quota is for Herring only. Spawn on kelp is a different fishery and has its own quota when they allow it.

There will be very few commercial guys fishing herring in 2015. Companies still have product unsold from last year and guys are not going to work for free.

I've been on both sides of the fence with this one, I try my best to stay out of the politics. I've been herring fishing for 11 seasons now and have seen some highs and lows for sure. The last 3/4 years have been very good in terms of # of fish. However, what I have heard about this coming season is the same aas Swiggy said, lots of guys not fishing, still unsure if im fishing or not the captains and license holders are all crunching the numbers still to figure out if theres any money to be made for the fishermen with the price set to be very low this year. for me personally its not the end of the world if we were to not fish(leaves me some extra days in march to fish steelies), but for a lot of guys, they rely on this extra couple grand of income each year, so this hurts the average fisherman, who by the way, is not the bad guy here.

I've been on both sides of the fence with this one, I try my best to stay out of the politics. I've been herring fishing for 11 seasons now and have seen some highs and lows for sure. The last 3/4 years have been very good in terms of # of fish. However, what I have heard about this coming season is the same aas Swiggy said, lots of guys not fishing, still unsure if im fishing or not the captains and license holders are all crunching the numbers still to figure out if theres any money to be made for the fishermen with the price set to be very low this year. for me personally its not the end of the world if we were to not fish(leaves me some extra days in march to fish steelies), but for a lot of guys, they rely on this extra couple grand of income each year, so this hurts the average fisherman, who by the way, is not the bad guy here.

Thanks for the info. Speaking for myself but I believe others would agree that the fisherman are not the bad guys at all. It is those in charge of managing the resources I have an issue with. People having a job and a living wage are very important. I want to see plenty of fish so there can be a well managed commercial season and lots of fish for sport fishermen to target and spend money in small local communities that rely on that money.

Hey Chevy,
How much are the guys getting per ton for the fish? Do you have any idea? What they are expected to get this year vs. the last 3 /4 years? Also, I think most people who apply some simple logic would agree that there would be a lot more money in wild salmon fishing than herring. It would take just a tiny bit of foresight to think if the herring fishery was put to bed, the numbers of salmon would increase. The herring fishers would be replaced by a troll caught fleet (and would make more $$$), and everyone would be better off. I am not sure if it as simple as this, but would make sense, no?

I'm still very curious about whether the industry is just shifting to a Spawn on Kelp Industry from roe fishery? If so I hope there are some restrictions on that harvest as well. Otherwise its just a shell game.

Thanks for the info. Dumb question, but who buys the herring? Is it roe for Japanese and the herring itself for fish fertilizer?

The buyers of roe (Japanese) are only interested in medium size herring roe currently. Which means most of the fish caught would be caught for nothing. The guys who catch the fish make a varied sum from year to year. Some years are ok while other they work for very little. On the other hand guys like Pattison make the same big money each year while the ones who catch the product suffer. License owners make some money leasing to the crews. Basically they buy the licences and their crews pay each year to lease the license from them. Bit if a sham for sure.

Great article from the herring fishery in Alaska:

http://www.sitnews.us/1214Viewpoints/120114_jeff_feldpausch.html

" Traditionally, the commercial value of the fishery has been in the roe, which makes up about 12 percent of the harvest by weight. The remaining 88 percent (whole males and females with roe extracted) is considered bycatch and is being turned into fishmeal which supports farmed fish operations."

"..forage fish, such as herring, are worth twice as much left in the water as prey for other commercially valuable fish as they are in direct fisheries."

Back