2015 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

fishin remains incredible on the wall from Bradys down to Yankee Bay
released 2 fish over 30 this am ,kept 3 perfect bullets at 77 cm on the button , cookie cutters ,
all on achovy's at 58-88 feet , back at dock by 10 am ,
please respect that there is a under 77 cm only right now on Chinook in all of area 23 ,
this applies to all of us !! seen a few shinanaigans today , observe and report guys..

get out there and enjoy , other than one of my motors exploding in the marina yesterday on start up ,
we had a great trip , no one got hurt , thx to the efforts of a few pretty solid guys getting the fire out ,
thx again , coulda been alot worse !!

later

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Stayed at the Nook Fri, Sat and sunday. Caught over 2 dozen shakers at the Wall. We managed 2 springs (15, 18) and 2 coho (8-ish) That is it. It sure wasn't the usual July fishing. Anchovies, purple haze and the turd hootchies at 50-100 ft range.

Question ? with those turd hootchies being a wee bit larger and shaped almost differently , what would be the leader length for a turd ? i tried them last year with no success at all so i'm curious , thanks for sharing .

also , i will be in Bamfield on the 15th , anyone know the price of fuel there ?

Fished out of Bammer this pat weekend and had good results fishing mostly in Yankee Bay area.Highest percentage were caught on anchovy teaser head green UV.Good quality Chinook and a few ho's mixed in.60-90 feet down.Before and after the tide change was the best time.The Wall was producing too

Fished Wed and Thurs this week offshore out of Bamfield. Got our limit of Springs (mostly 10-12 lbers), 4 coho, 3 pinks and 2 halibut. Fished 26 mile reef on Wed, that's where we got the halibut (35lb and 15lb, trolling the bottom). Next day out about 15 miles but not much happening so we went in fished the flats off Bourdelais and picked up some springs to finish our limit out. Water was like glass with a high slow rollers.

Heading to the nook Monday morning for 4 days staying in the bunkhouse. Hopefully fishing inside co-operates. Any recent reports are appriciated

Kirby was holding fish at 69' on chovie.
Danvers produces a couple of bites as well.
Aome secent schools of anchovie around.

When we were there 10 days ago it was the clear green UV Rhys Davis Anchovy Teaser head that out fished everything else

we are also heading to Bamfield [on sat] and we are also wondering what's going on , reports are kinda skimpy guy's ! we will take any report ! . from other threads it seems like everything is much deeper than normal ?? or am i wrong ??

Bait is the ticket right now...or was for us anyways. consistent fish from 47 to 77 on the tides and first light. Usual haunts held fish inside, find the bait, have a good role to your meat and it should be all good. There are some big boys in the mix that are easily over 77cm although...
UV heads and purple flashers as well as a Betsy worked well.

Could I get a hand interpreting the regs on what the coho possession limit is around Bamfield? On the government website I see the daily limit as 4 in area 23, but it doesn't specify the possession limit. I feel like I'm missing something obvious--is the possession limit always double the daily limit?

I've unfortunately had a combo of motor and trailer issues, so I haven't really gotten out around home this year. Thinking about just saying screw it and renting a boat out of Seabeam at the start of September. Have never fished Barkley Sound then, but I hear there are Coho to be had along with affordable rental boats that work (unlike my own)...

James57, it is a 2 day limit, so 4 coho per day, means you can have 8 in possession per person, remember though that if you have caught some springs your limit is still 8 salmon per person of which only 2 springs per day or 4 on possession apply means you could only have 4 coho.

Back