2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

early morning is best-depends on the size of your boat-21 + will almost never be stopped-maybe slow but usually doable-less than 21 I would say avoid 11am onward. Been doing it for 20+years

X10. I run a 24' hull and it's not a problem in the afternoon. My previous boat was a 20' and the afternoon meant slow going with too much pounding. If you do launch at Gold River be patient as it can be crowded and if the tide is out pretty tight maneuvering. A sense of humor helps!

Reports from down in Nootka Are NOT Good. Fishing/Catching has taken a nose dive since the Commercial Gill netters moved in last wk.
They fished last Tues. & Wed. This Wk Tues. Wed & tonight. Next wk should be the last of it Tues. & Wed.
Fishing/Catching remains strong on the mixed Chinook & Coho Stocks in Esperanza. Limits are still the norm. Not many Tyees
BUT Lots of fish.
Yes we still have Anchovies. See You Soon. FOJ

Planning a trip for early - mid September to Nootka Sound. Was wondering what to expect? Given the proximity I'm guessing that the Coho should be very strong. Based upon previous years, how should the Spring fishing be. Also, can't seem to find the link to the 2014 thread for the area? Would appreciate the link if someone can send me. Thanks.

same for us, fished Nootka Friday and Saturday morning all we got were 5 cohos, moved up to Esperanza Sat afternoon and fished Garden Point and Roza couple of small springs and 2 cohos, white hootchie with a green stripe down both sides caught the most fish at 90 feet

Fished last three days, "slow" would be an understatement. Poor fishing would be more appropriate. Not many springs being caught at all. Lockjaw has set in for the Conuma fish. It was so bad I figured we would motor to Esperanza and spend the day there based on a recent report; waste of fuel. Didn't see anything netted that looked to be more than a Coho.

The gill netters are fishing in Moutcha Bay. They aren't really effecting the sporties unless you are fishing the river mouth. Their living; our sport. Fish just weren't biting. Marked stacks of fish in Tahsis Inlet. Threw everything at them and couldn't get a take. Fished Burdwood, inside Friendly/Saveedras, Tahsis Inlet, Coopte, Hoiss, San Carlos, Camel Rock, Princess Royal, the Slide, the Bluff and the Rivermouth; all depths.

I got there on Friday, and was told the switch turned off the previous Tuesday. Was a great year up there hope there is a final bite for those still there/arriving. I was due for a bad trip fish wise. Still my favourite place to fish on the planet.

Plus sides...weather was perfect (inside, windy offshore), company was great. Spent an afternoon on Meares Beach, felt like we were in Hawaii. Humpbacks were in, sea otters are making a fantastic comeback and got to watch a group of sea lions chase the fish I was marking that wouldn't take. Pretty impressive teamwork displayed by the sea lions. A dose of perspective when I realized I don't really need the fish to survive, but they sure do. Their home, I am just a tourist.

P.S. A special thanks to the Land of Maquinna Cultural Society. Yuquot definitely deserves UNESCO World Heritage Site status.

Last edited by a moderator:
did they get a bunch of rain up there the last week or so?

Xavier, agree on the Unesco status for Yuquot. It has rich cultural heritage. You get an amazing feeling walking around that place.

Heading up for a week this Saturday with kids probably stay on the hook for a couple days and hopefully bang a few coho and a spring or 2. Nootka has been hit hard by gill netters from what I just read... do they gill net esperenza too? Just trying to figure out which place to head too for best odds of still catching.

thanks CC

Gill Netting only occurs in Nootka not Esperanza.
Fishing/Catching still Very Good in Saltery Bay to Rosa Harbour for Chinook & Coho in Esperanza Inlet.
Westview Salmon Enhancement Fishing Derby this weekend. Friday & Saturday. Lots of Fun, Prizes & Cash.
Come join the FUN.
"IT"S ALL ABOUT THE FISH" FOJ

Just got back from 4 days at Critter Cove. Same result as Sangstercraft. 5 salmon and no groundfish. Good time though.

An announcement from the DFO today: Moutcha Bay and Head Bay (including the Conuma River) have been closed to all fishing until further notice.
Fishing is still permitted around the corner outside of Perpendicular Bluff and the rest of Nootka Sound.

Anyone done any tuna runs out of Esperanza recently? I could maybe get up next week for a run.

YES!!!
To: Info@westviewmarina.com
Subject: Thorpe's Tuna Trip

John and Cathy, there are no words for how much fun our family had this week. Your staff and hospitality was without doubt fantastic , friendly and very helpful. Although you have created a monster in Greg as he want to buy a bigger boat and continue to tuna fish. We will definitely recommend your Marina for charters and will probably partake in another one our selves.. Thank you to you both for the wonderful experience for my family, the boys can’t stop talking about it ( all three ) We ate our first loin ( 2 1/2 lbs ) tonight and the boys devoured it and said it was their most favorite fish. All the best to you and your family and staff, we look forward in spending some time up there again next year for sure. Fantastic way to end Summer Vacation.

Donna-Lynn , Greg , Ryan and Dylan Thorpe August 27th , 2015

summer 2015 and tuna fishing 347.jpgsummer 2015 and tuna fishing 341.jpgsummer 2015 and tuna fishing 331.jpg

stopped by Westview Marina last week for a few supplies, if you have never stopped by, do yourself a favour and make it happen, great people, good supply of almost anything you need for fishing, and a good supply of breakfast options. Oh yea this is a fishing report site so fishing was slow for us but we did get a few coho and a small spring out by Rosa

Speaking of good places to see -- if the fishing is slow, I'd recommend going ashore at Burdwood Bay and walking along the rough trail into the forest. Untouched old growth forest, a small waterfall, it's really spectacular. In my eyes, way more interesting than Cathedral Grove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of good places to see -- if the fishing is slow, I'd recommend going ashore at Burdwood Bay and walking along the rough trail into the forest. Untouched old growth forest, a small waterfall, it's really spectacular. In my eyes, way more interesting than Cathedral Grove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds really interesting. I don't recall seeing a dock there. Are you just pulling the boat up on shore?

Back