2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Hi FOJ & others. Enjoy these posts. Was curious when looking at Wind Wave & Weather what one considers good offshore vs poor offshore conditions for Bajo Reef. I'll be up in that area in August for a couple weeks. 18.5 foot Campion 542. Previous experience has me saying 15knts is about all I can handle in my boat but what about wind direction, wave height and wave direction for this area. Some pointers on what too be looking out for is appreciated.
I have a lot of experience at WH and Nootka and I am always leery of a SE or SW wind no matter how light cause invariably it is always a little stronger than forecast.It really kicks things up. NW is far more predictable.

Just driving home after 6 days of fishing out of zeballos. Split our time between inshore and offshore. Offshore was best at the T for us. Fish were tight to bottom. Had to fish a minimum of 260 on the DR counter to get hits. Pinicles was dead for salmon but good for Hali's. Picked up 3 real quick and had a barn door on that bent 2 barbs on a treble. I have pulled in some pretty big ones in my day but nothing ever almost pulled me over like this one did. Ferrer point was steady but our best spot was around catella. One little 2 minute troll pass area that had fish up to 30 pounds stacked for 2 days straight. To top it off I hooked this big one too.

dd5b0f1f84e70546826be8dd71412414.jpg

Going to get it cut out this afternoon. Wishing I had pinched the Barb prior to tiring the rig now.

I noticed they changed the coho retention to four coho per day, no need to check for clipped, at least along the coast, and inside waters.
When the Government makes changes such as allowing 4 fish per day, does it change the possession limit, also? Or if you catch four salmon in a day, are you pretty much done for the entire trip?

When the Government makes changes such as allowing 4 fish per day, does it change the possession limit, also? Or if you catch four salmon in a day, are you pretty much done for the entire trip?
No!!! 4 a day total salmon-2 days possession. So-- 4 springs and 4 coho is a 2 day or trip possession limit OR if you are allowed 4 coho a day then you could have 8 coho as your 2 day or trip possession limit-BUT that's it-no Springs if you choose to do it-no matter which way you cut it you cannot have a trip total for 1 person of more than 8 salmon.

Just driving home after 6 days of fishing out of zeballos. Split our time between inshore and offshore. Offshore was best at the T for us. Fish were tight to bottom. Had to fish a minimum of 260 on the DR counter to get hits. Pinicles was dead for salmon but good for Hali's. Picked up 3 real quick and had a barn door on that bent 2 barbs on a treble. I have pulled in some pretty big ones in my day but nothing ever almost pulled me over like this one did. Ferrer point was steady but our best spot was around catella. One little 2 minute troll pass area that had fish up to 30 pounds stacked for 2 days straight. To top it off I hooked this big one too.

dd5b0f1f84e70546826be8dd71412414.jpg

Going to get it cut out this afternoon. Wishing I had pinched the Barb prior to tiring the rig now.
I hope you'd put a tourniquet at the base of that finger and waited about 5 minutes for it to go numb. Then you can do pretty much anything you'd need to do to get the hook out. Of course, it will hurt & bleed once the tourniquet is released. Do wash the wound well and apply antibiotic ointment, fish mouth is full of bacteria........

I hope you'd put a tourniquet at the base of that finger and waited about 5 minutes for it to go numb. Then you can do pretty much anything you'd need to do to get the hook out. Of course, it will hurt & bleed once the tourniquet is released. Do wash the wound well and apply antibiotic ointment, fish mouth is full of bacteria........

Trust what Tailwalker said - he's in an OR all day, every day!

When I posted that, I was looking at the coloured at on the dfo website. There is added retention info in the sub-area. I was so annoyed I decided to keep the post up. Now I think I'll delete it. Four salmon per day cap. Two day possession.

Hi Folks
Been Crazy GOOD busy for the past wk. Spring Fever is right on as it relates to winds in Esperanza/Nootka. The northerly winds pushed back in here right after the reg. changes on July 15th. No reasonable hwy. fishing until early next wk. winds are predicted to lay down late today. So Tues. should be fishable at the "T". Lots of Chinook & Coho inside. Rosa area is HOT along with Twin islands on the other side of Esperanza. Saltery Bay at Steamer PT. has produced several 25+lb Springs & lots of Coho. Down in Nootka Coopte Pt, Camel Rk & San Carlos have all lite up.

About those double hooks on the Coyote Spoons. Yep lots of teeth marks on the green one because they BOTH work well. The blue one was so tore up we tied a new one on for the picture. We remove the factor hook & replace with two 6/0 Gamakatsu siwash open eye hooks on 6in spoon. Smaller hooks on Smaller size spoons. The spoon has a silver metal tail, place both hooks on the side of the tail facing in opposite directions
(pinch barbs). You will like how this setup retains the fish & because they are barbless easy to release.
Stop by the tackle shop if you need GPS spots for hooking up Halibut inside & outside waters or if you just want to have a coffee & talk FISHING!
FOJ

I give up!! Can't get good weather off Winter Harbour so the Spring Fever II travelling Gong show and circus will be in Nootka Mon Pm thru WEd morning-listen on 6-I share info if asked.

I give up!! Can't get good weather off Winter Harbour so the Spring Fever II travelling Gong show and circus will be in Nootka Mon Pm thru WEd morning-listen on 6-I share info if asked.

Just got back.Fishing was very good.Lighthouse,Wash rock very productive.Seems to be a lot of fish around.Anchovies,white & green glow hootch worked real good.Ho's and springs.I think fishing inside has started to turn on too.Springs 18 to mid 20's

Help needed!!!
ill be going up at the early/mid part of Aug and im wondering if im misunderstanding the regulation or just have no clue here.
i seen an other tread saying a 77cm fish is only about mid teen. when i read http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/25-ch-nootka-eng.pdf and fishing being taken (assuming home when they say limited out ect..) 20-30 lbers from light house to maquinna Pt, i under stand it as i can only keep a fish 77cm or under. then again my mild dyslexia may be to blame here...

havent looked at the regs recently but I thought that reg (under 77) kicked in, in that zone, on july 15th...

Help needed!!!
ill be going up at the early/mid part of Aug and im wondering if im misunderstanding the regulation or just have no clue here.
i seen an other tread saying a 77cm fish is only about mid teen. when i read http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/25-ch-nootka-eng.pdf and fishing being taken (assuming home when they say limited out ect..) 20-30 lbers from light house to maquinna Pt, i under stand it as i can only keep a fish 77cm or under. then again my mild dyslexia may be to blame here...
Those dates should allow you to fish the 2 over zone from Camel rock in-if it's flat go out to Bajo-those dates give you good flex-you can move where you need to stay legal

Back