2015 Tuna Adventures

Just Woke up from the day after. lol. The day after is a day where you have hopefully recovered from the tuna trip the day and one half before where I woke up at 230 am and went fishing.
This trip we broke a lot of personal records for a tuna trip and we learned a lot about how we like to fish'em.
The day started off with crappy seas. I broke my 20 kn running rule and that lead to a 5 hour run of which we did about 15 kns. We though we would be able to step up the speed once it got light but we could not so it was a long long run. Luckily it was very fishable and the surface just became softer as the day went on. In fact for the most part it was perfect for it was glassy and we could watch the fish take our chum and bait on hooks which was the an all time thrill.
I took all my camera gear in hopes of getting some good video but the time is so compact with chores and jobs that I could not. I kick myself now for I could have easily videoed the takes and schools under the boat no problem. At times you could see 30 fish all at once down below the boat.
Chores and jobs? This was my first full jigging and baiting trip. We committed the day to doing this and I for some reason thought it would be easier but it was no less work than trolling, it probably was more for when your not on fish you have to work to find them. One guy drives and the other searches and the third guy does what ever else has to be done which was tying new gear and shuffling fish in slush and totes or cleaning. A 4th guy would have helped but space is limited in my boat. I think it was also so busy for we had such a late start due to the travel. We did a bit of trolling to search but we also just ran and searched for jumpers.
Along with having a slow rough ride out by the time we had traveled 40 miles the water had reached an all time time low of 12C which was tough to handle emotionally in all honesty, I was breaking at this point. Within the next 5 miles we found 14 C in clear enough green water and we saw jumpers so we stopped and started Jigging.
The three of us dropped down a jig each and all hooked up right away around 20 to 30 feet under the boat and the fish were all around 30 lbs. This is the good thing about the cooler green water the fish are large. After that we couldn't get them. I threw a couple choves in the water while we jigged. After those choves made it down about 6 feet and away from the boat something cool happened. To my absolute delight, just like the tv shows some LARGE tunas(for our coast) cruised by and took the bait. We didn't have any rods rigged with bait hooks so I quickly tied one up and got it in the water and right away a large tuna swam up and inhaled it only 15 feet from the boat. For me and my crew this was like getting the winning goal in a hockey game. We were all freaking out in celebration for this was exactly what we had set out to do on this trip.
My back is very sore from being bent over holding on to fish doing it's long hard fast runs. A couple of us also received some nasty cuts on our fingers from setting the hooks with the open faced reels. These are NOT appropriate reels for this type of fishing but its all I had for this trip. I would like to have 2 rods/person or more for this type of fishing.

I keep having in some way or another the best day of fishing in my life participating in this fishery. It just keeps happening. It was nice to hear from Sculpin out there on this day.

This fish is my best one yet. Im not sure what to call it but its certainly a tyee in tuna land. Maybe a toonee is an appropriate word for it is over 30. I'm calling it an "end to ender" for it touches each end of my large cooler that I purchased at costco. We also could only fit 4 of these big guys into!
FYI: Thats not me in the photo. That just some tuna addict who's totally messed up on tuna fishing. I don't think he has a hope in hell of quitting this fishing anytime soon. What a bloody mess!!LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow great job Birdsnest. Impressive efforts and results!

Firelight,

Thinking it must have been that "Wicked" hat you are wearing in the picture that helped load the boat!

LOL!

Not sure if I will be able to get out and chase those bad boys this year. This TV gig has thrown a wrench in our Winter Harbour plans. Fingers crossed I get a window to get out. Will have to live through you guys in the mean time.

Best of luck at the Shoot Out!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest re-rigging those jigs so that the hook is on a swivel and connected directly with the main line. Place the hook about half way up the jig for vertical jigging. I rigged all my jigs with barbed Doup hooks this way. I agree though, tossing big jigs out far hasn't seemed to yield any results. I use the swimbaits for casting and iron for vertical jigging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI: the butterfly rigs/assist hooks on the jigs worked very well for a few reasons. Just saying. Thanks for that 44.

Man, you guys nailed it! Beautiful conditions and day out there. and beauty slabs to go with it!

FYI: the butterfly rigs/assist hooks on the jigs worked very well for a few reasons. Just saying. Thanks for that 44.

Right on. You guys killed it! Brought this fishery to a new level. Hope to see a few boats working the iron during the Shootout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the pro's to not trolling are :
Its quiet and I like that.
I reduced my travel by about 50 miles which saves gas.
I know this is a complete turn around from where I came from (liking the hand lines and all) but when you hook up its just you your gear and that fish and its a battle!!!!
You get to see and watch fish in their natural state and its amazing and beautiful.
When the blue sharks show up its a disappointment but they are magnificent and you can lean over and touch them when they are beside the boat. But you can't fish bait around them they will take it but they do it slowly so its not hard to pull it away from them.
Since you don't have a huge spread out you can stop and watch things. I never really stopped and watched a school of tuna taking bait of the surface it is very entertaining with all the cart wheeling and jumping they do and the bait flying in the air. Its neat to watch.

I must give credit to this forum and some of the members here for all the information that they have shared with me. This one day of fishing would have never happened if I did not get help from others. Thanks you guys. Its simple little things like assist hooks, rubber swim baits, baiting and how to bait that i would have never tried without help from others around here. It sure came paid off and I can't wait to try more stuff out there.

Nice job birdsnest , I hope I could do the same on Tuesday , defenattaly I will try it out.
I am heading out Tuesday morning from Bamfield if anybody head out welcome as body boat, I will have ch 73 on

Birdsnest, we have weekly charter reports with photo's down here in WA & that fish is by far the nicest i have ever seen caught in the NW. FYI, Morro Bay in CA is known for 40's (Albacore) sometime in October. Sometimes the 2 day trips outta San Diego get into 80 - 120lb Big Eye Tuna. These trips run around $500 US. i went in the year 2000 & came back with 28 fish; mostly 15-20lb Yellowfin & a few Dorado.

Awesome report BS, you really are fueling the fire, cant wait for the shootout and hope the weather and water cooperates for all involved!

Great stuff!!

HARPER are we good to go????

Cheers

Awesome report BS, you really are fueling the fire, cant wait for the shootout and hope the weather and water cooperates for all involved!

Great stuff!!

HARPER are we good to go????

Cheers

We will be.. just a little fine tuning to do. Don't be such a Company man and come down a little earlier!

Awesome stuff Birdsnest, thx for sharing.
What swim baits and jigs were you using??? I'm headed down to Westport in a month so need to pick up some gear.

Awesome stuff Birdsnest, thx for sharing.
What swim baits and jigs were you using??? I'm headed down to Westport in a month so need to pick up some gear.

I only have one that a guy, I forget who but want to thank graciously for it, from this forum gave me last year. I am getting some of the Storm wild eye Shad patterns in 5 inch but I think what you really want, if your in the states, is the BIG Hammer swim baits and heads. I have some of those coming too. They come in lots of sizes but I think you want at least 1.5 OZ heads on them. I am getting 1 and 1.5 oz heads for min with 5 inch tails.

This is a picture of what a guy here gave me last year. I added a stinger to it, can't help myself. Caught them trolling with this and jigging. The thing was skipping on the water when trolling.

I don't want to talk about the squid thing much but here is a photo. Should be a 1000 words in there somewhere.lol.

Back