2015 Tuna Adventures

May I ask what about Zingers or Buzz Bombs? The hook slides free of the lure.

If you are referring to my post earlier on rigging jigs, I don't use those particular types. Mainly because I find chafe the leader. However, they affectively accomplish the same thing by making a direct connection from the main line to the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use heavy mono on the leader and usually don't see a chafing problem. Laws of inertia go against your hook up as the fighting hooked fish will have your lure hammering and tearing the hook out. Plus does your hooks get tangled on the mainline when you jig?

Heavy mono leaders would do the trick to reduce the effect of chaffing. Not sure I follow your laws of enertia statement but I doubt a couple ounces of free floating lead is going to beat a barbed hook out of a tunas mouth. The main goal of rigging a jig like this is just to pull on the hook, not the jig, same reason buzz bombs are line-through rigged. Problem with the buzz bomb is you can't place the hook anywhere but hanging off the bottom. Doesn't seem to get tangled any more than other rigging in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to tuna adventures.
a7f0b0f09b94a80c875bbef29b50a78b.jpg

There are some near this location.

6c1760abf8d40d1299e9fe055e29a8e1.jpg

Oh ya, there are 21 less fish in that school now :D. Full report here.....

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?28245-Winter-Harbour-Report/page15

Now that's a fishing report, thanks Sculpin! I am headed to Bamfield Thursday afternoon and though the weather looks grim, it does look like their may be a tuna window on Saturday. Will be monitoring the wind and water temps over the next few days. If there are other boats considering a Saturday run, let me know.

Dak

Now that's a fishing report, thanks Sculpin! I am headed to Bamfield Thursday afternoon and though the weather looks grim, it does look like their may be a tuna window on Saturday. Will be monitoring the wind and water temps over the next few days. If there are other boats considering a Saturday run, let me know.

Dak

Hey dak,
I was trying for the 14,15 weekend but weather said no go. Sounds like it was a sound choice. I'm hoping to head from sooke up to the canyon Saturday morning (22), and fish the weekend. The long range forecast sounds good out there on Saturday.
I just spoke with a very reputable guide in renfrew and he said it's been spotty out on the fence in the Juan de Fuca canyon. I was hoping to troll my way through there but the last report was four fish for the whole day.

Let me know if you are in for the weekend as well.
Thanks, Quinn

Great Report Sculpin ... Hoped to go out of Ukee this last weekend but weather was an issue. Looked at the South Brooks buoy data and knew some lucky fishermen further north would be getting a shot at tuna. Thank you for sharing! Your reports are always amazing!

We are getting into prime time now with the exception of the fishing out of tofino where it has been exceptional. I only know of one skunked trip out of Tuff that was in the end of June. Other than that I think there have been about 10 (boat)trips from here now where the least fish caught was 17 so a great year so far. Its just need to get into that weather pattern we usually get during the last two weeks of august and the first two weeks of sept and we don't seem to be there yet. We keep having one day windows which makes it hard to expect perfection or easy to plan around. At least those days seem to have landed on the weekend.

Its never nice to have have the Hard NW blows and watch the water just slip further away. Oh well, Thats tuna fishing. Never the less we are just at the top of the prime season and I'm Pumped!!!

Great post Jay. I agree that we are just getting into the swing of things weather wise. I am hoping to get out and try the jigging thing and some other methods.

Just a reminder to all of those that want to try this fishery for the first time.

#1 - SAFETY FIRST. They are only fish and not worth risking your life or others over. A subscription to Buoyweather is a big help and you want a 2 day weather window so you don't get caught with your pants down out there.
You need a big enough boat with more than usual safety equipment and enough fuel to stay within the thirds rule.
I believe it is best to hop on a boat that has done it before to see what it is all about before taking your own boat out there.
Research, research, research.......There are numerous threads on this forum, ifish, and bloodydecks about this fishery and how to do it SAFELY. I researched it for about 2 years before finally being asked to go out. That trip ruined me for the rest of my life:p.

#3 -FINDING THEM. Get a subscription to Terrafin and learn how to use the information from the shots. Knowing a commercial tuna fisherman doesn't hurt either lol:D.

#4 - FISHING for them is easy once you find them. Lots of info out there on this and again research. Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville has everything you need tackle wise. This is the least important part of this fishery IMO.

#2 - CARE of the fish. A side from the SAFETY being number one with this fishery I think caring of the catch properly is the second most important part of this fishery. You need to bleed them well for 15 minutes min. then get them into a slush of 2/3 salt ice to 1/3 seawater right away and leave them in there for 45 minutes to an hour before packing carefully in salt ice with ice surrounding each and every fish. Don't pack them tight together. You need 10 lbs of ice per fish you keep and enough extra ice for your slush and replenishing your slush through out the day as it melts. If you are having them processed at St. Jeans or other they want them in the whole, guts in, and head on. You can brain spike them. They have ways to tell if you have taken care of them and if they are cold enough. Follow the above instructions and they won't turn you away.

Don't rush into it. Do your research and please be SAFE and CARE for the catch. The fun part just comes naturally :).

Cheers,
Sculpin

We'll I was able to crew on to Greg (total chaos) boat Sunday .. It was a funny forecast as it looked there was a window earlier in the week then it closed then open again..So Sat. afternoon it looked like we could get a shot out of Ukee to Louden..so off we went late sat. afternoon to set up.... Off the dock at 5:00 with Greg's Brother boat as the buddy boat Chris..... Forecast was blowing 9 dropping the light to variable......:)

Attachments

• 20150816_054317.jpg
    20150816_054317.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 675
  • 20150816_062829.jpg
    20150816_062829.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 674
  • 20150816_055815.jpg
    20150816_055815.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 675
As we started the run out, a sheet of glass but as we passed each shelf the ocean was not going to be very nice... :( We got to the edge of Louden and it was pretty sloppy and it was still building see so we decided to put he gear out but could not really get the temp. we were looking nothing higher them maybe 57. started to troll out and ended up putting about 4hrs in..we did find one of our long finned friends that wanted to play....

Attachments

• 20150816_084920.jpg
    20150816_084920.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 676
  • 20150816_085053.jpg
    20150816_085053.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 668
  • 20150816_100155.jpg
    20150816_100155.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 669
Around 11 :30 we figured that we could not get out further we would run back and try our hand at salmon fishing and thank u Pat for the intell we were able to pull a couple late day springs off the Turtle head... Another great Blue water adventure... got to love it out there..Thanks Tinnie and Yves for letting me join u for the day and break things...:)

Attachments

• 20150816_134332.jpg
    20150816_134332.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 657
  • 20150816_152234_resized_3.jpg
    20150816_152234_resized_3.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 657
Around 11 :30 we figured that we could not get out further we would run back and try our hand at salmon fishing and thank u Pat for the intell we were able to pull a couple late day springs off the Turtle head... Another great Blue water adventure... got to love it out there..Thanks Tinnie and Yves for letting me join u for the day and break things...:)

We should have known someone with a name like "Moose Knuckle" would break everything he touched and make a mess of the gear.

It was an adventure and a lesson learned, don't trust the weather or weather man on our coast as he will be wrong 98% of the time and it will change in minutes and miles. Skunk is off for the year and we now know what needs to be sorted out and repaired, you on board just keeps things interesting. Who knew someone could break so many things in such a short trip.

Hey dak,
I was trying for the 14,15 weekend but weather said no go. Sounds like it was a sound choice. I'm hoping to head from sooke up to the canyon Saturday morning (22), and fish the weekend. The long range forecast sounds good out there on Saturday.
I just spoke with a very reputable guide in renfrew and he said it's been spotty out on the fence in the Juan de Fuca canyon. I was hoping to troll my way through there but the last report was four fish for the whole day.

Let me know if you are in for the weekend as well.
Thanks, Quinn

Sent you a PM Quinn. Anyone else planning on going out Saturday? Never hurts to have a few boats out there to find the fish (and for safety).

We should have known someone with a name like "Moose Knuckle" would break everything he touched and make a mess of the gear.

It was an adventure and a lesson learned, don't trust the weather or weather man on our coast as he will be wrong 98% of the time and it will change in minutes and miles. Skunk is off for the year and we now know what needs to be sorted out and repaired, you on board just keeps things interesting. Who knew someone could break so many things in such a short trip.

Ahhh Tin man ..have a heart.. :) that is why I called you the total chaos.. lol thanks for letting me break everything....

There is a good possibility we will be heading out on Saturday. I'll let you know on Friday after the last weather and water check.

I plan to travel to the Island on friday and fish sat and/or sunday from Bamfield. Tuna is first choice IF there's a window

Back