2015 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Can someone tell me what channel sport fishing folk monitor in the Ucluelet area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishing continues to be stellar on the West Coast off Ucluelet whether inshore along the beach or offshore out at Big Bank, if you can get out there.
The last couple days we have been fishing on the beach as there have been pretty big seas offshore as well as afternoon wind. Looks like the same weather for the next few days as this extreme high pressure continues into next week.
Good numbers of Chinook up to the 20lbs, some days bigger average and other days smaller average but most all of the guides are getting their fish as well as guys with their own boats.
Coho are also starting to show up both offshore and inshore, Check the regs on DFO's website as they have changed from last year.
Hatchery coho only outside the surf line which is a mile from shore.

Good luck and be safe out there.

Nick
www.morningmagic.com info@morningmagic.com T: 250.726.3634

MM J27.jpg

MM J27 1.jpg

I saw your boat today. I bailed when the wind picked up. My boats name is TAKEELA. Got 2 springs a ling and a bunch of cod. Hope wind does bug us tomorrow. Tight lines

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435555658.950495.jpg

Fishing is hot right now! All the banks are producing lots of Chinook, Coho and Pinks although the pinks can drive one nuts having to shake them off non stop. Hoochies are number one right now exceeding the productivity of bait 4 to 1. Lots of halibut being caught with out much effort as well this season is looking excellent, the shoreline is good as well hooked several accidental Chinooks over the last couple of days while cod jigging. Boats still hanging in Florencia Bay how ever the bite times are crucial along the shoreline where offshore it doesn't matter so much. Good luck all I'm sure from here forward over the next couple of months everyone's going to have success stories the way things have been going.

Got a 17, a hali and a bunch of coho, small springs and pinks in 125 feet out a ways from Wya today. Big Swell, but not 30-40 winds as per the predictions. Big Bank is good. Close to harbor is pretty good. Shooting for South Bank tomorrow if the swell lays down, prediction is 3m.

Rex4deo the line share of intel sharing out of ukee is by cell phone not over the radio although you can tune into the Canadian Princess chatter, can't remember what channel it is off the top of my head.

South Bank was quiet Saturday, got one on the bottom over near the Yellow can (inside Lighthouse?).
Started at Great Bear today, no dice. There was a swell but no wind so I changed plans and pounded it out to Big Bank.
Fun times, got two decent Chinooks and a hali in short order. Played a bit of catch and release for several more. One line was on the bottom, and the other was at every fisherman's favourite depth. Didn't catch any at 90-150. Big herring in the bellies out there, which explains why the 7" plugs were working well. Hali came on a glow hootch. Few cohos and pinks where I was.
I was all alone, which is odd as the Rat's nose is 5 miles farther. My spot doesn't have a cool name I guess.
Back next week with the wives on a bigger boat. Hope the closer in fishing picks up.

I can echo the Big Bank action on Saturday afternoon for us. My son and I didn't leave the ramp till 1:00 p.m. And headed out there for the afternoon bite. Swell was a little confused but we averaged 20 mph on the way out. All teeners for us but we enjoyed the non stop action. You literally couldn't put the rod in the holder cause you'd have one on right after setting the gear. Lost a couple and let a couple swim. Went 4 for 8 in about 45 minutes. All the Springs were wild which seemed different as we are so used to hatch jobs out there. T-Rex hootchie was the hot lure for us at 160-180 on the riggers. Lots of bait balls which was nice to see. We tried bottom for a while but no chicken dinners for us.

We spent about an hour in the rock piles near shore and caught a nice blue ling, a couple of black bombers, and a really nice vermillion. Not bad for an quick afternoon fish:).

The water temp has been pretty warm near shore yesterday the temp in the harbor was 61 degrees so definitely something to keep an eye on. When ever the temps much above 56 degree I head offshore to find cooler water where the fish are and feeding as well. Glad to hear you guys had some great days out there.

Rex4deo the line share of intel sharing out of ukee is by cell phone not over the radio although you can tune into the Canadian Princess chatter, can't remember what channel it is off the top of my head.

Thanks for responding... I guess it didn't matter, I just got home from 5 days in Ukee. Limited out on a Salmon and Halibut! Mostly on the big bank at the rats nose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of pics from last weekend.

Heading up again this coming weekend. Love the summer time fishery on the WCVI :).

Shooting for tuna but you can't leave out all the regular species lol :D.

The place is so diverse it's not funny. I love being so close to Ukee and getting a crack at all the different fish etc. You have cheap salt ice, gas, and supportive companies in a great community. Salmon Beach is only a 10 minute boat ride to Ukee Harbour.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Great pics. Your flooring is a trade off: it looks great and makes your boat safer, but that stuff takes the scales off a fish so fast. I'm not sure what the answer is, net them into a fish box instead of onto the deck maybe. We'll be fishing Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

Fishing continues to be very good out at big bank with limits of both salmon and halibut being caught on a daily basis.
Chinooks averaging anywhere from 10 to 18lbs with a handful or so in the low 20's and only expecting it to get better.
Lots of bait out there as well as a few humpback whales feeding.
Weather conditions the last 3 days have been spectacular and looks like it will continue into next week, doesn't get any better when both the weather and fishing is in sync.
Fishing along the beach has slowed somewhat. Fisherman are still getting their Chinooks but are having to work for them and this should pick up as well as the next wave of Smilies rolls through.

Tight lines and be safe.

Nick

20150704_134320.jpg

MM July 7.jpg

Big Banks on fire 4 guests limited out on salmon ( All Species ) by 10:30 am then did some spreader bar work for halibut for the remainder of this 8 hr trip. Hoochies just killing it out there. Did some catch and release as well to fill in the day.
FullSizeRender (9).jpg

BGM the Bank has it's ups and downs but for the most part it's pretty steady Mid July through August. The rest of the year it's on and off, definitely enjoying it right now :D

Just back from Ukee . Had some great days at South Bank to start on July 2 & 3 with 25lb Hali springs from 12 -25 lbs. The next few days were dead no action. Inside hit & miss. Better on flood tide close to surf line.
We made it out to Big Bank & was Awesome !!! Ton's of Springs of every size from 15-30lbs . Let go 40 wild coho to keep 2 hatchery. What a waste ! Caught some nice Halibut. Biggest was 40 lbs & a few 20-25 lbers let some small ones go. Black & White Glow in dark Hoochie & wonder bread spoon worked well for us. If weather good at Big Bank put some time in . The Tyee's are there. Last one caught at 69'.
Good Luck out There !!!
Cheers Slick

Couple of recent trips that I got photos of.

July 13 - 5 hr trip in Barclay Sound largest Chinook 29 lbs ( 3 Chinook, 1 Sockeye, 1 Coho, )

FullSizeRender (10).jpg

July 15 - 8 hr trip Big Bank

FullSizeRender (11).jpg

Fished Big Bank Sunday and Monday. Big spoon on the top rod with no flasher, Cuttlefish or squid hootchie on the bottom rod. Lots of springs and they are getting bigger. Only 7-9" herring in the bellies out there. There are large pockets of pinks and cohos from the surface to about 130. 160 was good, but we also got springs at 50-70, but then the small fish can be pesky. Got a 15lb spring at 20 feet while hooking up the top rod. And too many cohos if you don't clip on and get it down quickly. Also did some experimenting with an 8" flasher and hootchie leader length. 24" got a 20lber. Of course anything works out there some days. I have no knowledge of the closer in spots except there is a big pile of cabezons in some rocky spots. Slimey and tricky to fillet on a wet cutting board, but tasty.

July continues to be great fish are everywhere, the sound, offshore banks, shoreline you pretty much can't go wrong where ever you drop a line. The morning bite up to approx 10:30 am is strong and the rest of the day decent. Halibut has been a bit of a grind so on 4 & 6 hr trips it's can be time constricting but still manage to pull one or more hali's after the Chinook limit has been made. Most days Chinook limits are done even with 5 guests by about 10 am fairly consistently. Few picks below from 4 hr & 6 hr trips.

Chinook have been full of herring, plugs, spoons, bait and of course glow cuddle fish hoochies have all been excellent.

Guests from BC, Alberta, Ontario and as far away as Austria have been enjoying great days on the water.

FullSizeRender (23).jpgFullSizeRender (24).jpgFullSizeRender (26).jpgFullSizeRender (22).jpg

Back