11.5 lbs trout at Langford Lake.

just updated at Wise Buys...lost 2lbs in the freezer a couple days (if it was infact 11+), still probably take the prize for the year

Don't really fish fresh water much anymore but just knowing fish like that are available locally so close to Victoria is awesome. Congrats. to the skilled angler who put that one in the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The triploids hatchery fish they've been planting for a few years are starting to get BIG. That ones a real monster, even if it's only 9 pounds.

almost 12 pounds and the program has only been active for a few years. I assume it's because they can feed year round and aren't subjected to the ice cold water like in the interior.

How big can these triploids get? Are we going to see 20lb trout cruising the lakes?

Poppa Swiss:-

I was under the impression that triploids grow big fast because they remove the reproductive system from them and all the energy goes into growing.

They cannot reproduce, so once they die off.....that's it.

But get big they will (until caught).

They were catching them over 30lbs in Diefenbaker Lake (mainland prairies) a couple years back. A boatload of them got free from a netpen and have been growing ever since.

I was under the impression that triploids grow big fast because they remove the reproductive system from them and all the energy goes into growing.

From my understanding.... A diploid fish is normal and the orientation of the two sets of chromosomes determines whether it male or female. These fish will grow a pound a year give or take but when it goes through the reproductive cycle every year they will lose half of that through the production of gonads..

A triploid can be made through shocking the eggs with temp, chemical, or pressure creating a third chromosome effectively making it genderless. So I am not sure if removing the reproductive system would be the right words....

The fish from Diefenbaker are triploid escapees from the net pens in the lake that produce "farmed Steelhead" which is just an over sized trout.. and yes they just grow and eat till they die..

And to add.. There was another 7lber weighed in today at wise buys from Langford

Back