2015 Campbell River Reports

1.Yes, you can tyee fish under the club rules out of a kayak, one (that I know of) has been caught in the past (15+ years ago) and registered as a "Tyee" under club rules.

2.Yes you can launch off the spit, by the Tyee Clubhouse or farther along.

3. If your want your fish to qualify for the "club" go on the tyeeclub.org website to get all the restrictions/rules. You need to register before you fish! If you are in CR, stop in at the club and ask some questions. It is open to the public, and EVERYONE is welcome, the weighmaster and members hanging around are a great source of info. There's some really cool stuff to see inside too.

4. Fish don't really show up there until Aug, best being roughly Aug 15 to Sept 7 (there abouts). If you just want to catch a salmon out of a kayak (not under club rules) go somewhere else, there are better spots. Ask at the local sports stores, they will point you in the right direction.

I'm hoping to get up to fish the Tyee Pool out of a 15 ft. Sit on top kayak around the middle of August. I want to do it using old school equipment, so I'm having my 5" Peetz reel restored. I also have a Peetz Rod. If anyone is planning on doing the same, let me know. I believe there is a spot to camp on the spit.
Stosh

Hi all! First post on this so here it goes. Next week I will be heading to Quadra Island with a couple of friends and staying in Kanish Bay. I know that the hottest fishing appears be at the south end of the island but is there any decent fishing to be had near the north end of the island this time of year? We are hoping for Chinook, halibut and canary rockfish. Any locations, tips or advice? I have fished up and down the coast but never this area. Thanks for your time everyone! All feedback is greatly appreciated.

I dont know about halibut or canary rockfish but there is good fishing just north of Kanish (Green seas) and just south (Brown bay and area)

South of Quadra can be a bit of a parking lot at times, little more peaceful up that way. Unless the Sockeye are running!!! Haha

Went out there this morning and not much Joy with the springs:( released 2 wild cohos and kept 1 hatchery all of legal size but small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished the hump and green can this afternoon. No springs. Did release a good size pink at the green can. Funny looking pink. Wish I took a pic of it. Had big spots on the upper part of tail black gums tiny scales and the flesh was very soft. Of course it only put up a fight at the boat. Pink! Lol.

Thanks for the feedback on fishing the north side. Much appreciated. I heard Brown's Bay was not a bad spot to try. Deepwater Bay producing much these days?

Fished lower end Quadra today. Never saw a net. Tried jigging. Small lingcod with dogfish attached. And a couple nice rockfish. All released. Guy in marina said he landed 5, all underside spring and coho. Right on the bottom. 20# ball.

Anyone know what the best site for wind/wave info north of CR is? Tide-forecast.com is pretty good but usually off in the wind dept. Looking to head up north of Browns Bay this weekend....small tin boat + northwesterlies = bad.

Thanks in advance

BL

Google Marine forecast Johnstone strait. Its the Gov of Canada website. Looks like it might be lumpy up there this weekend for a smaller boat.

Another slow day trolling for me. #4 in a row. One undersized chinook. Tried jigging the hump at low slack landed a legal ling and lost a couple bigger than that, one right at the boat. Oh ya about 20 damn dogfish too. Lots of wood stacked up out there today. Trolling was so slow every boat out there was jigging when I left!

As I loaded up the boat this morning, one boat came in with a nice spring. Century shoals they said. But at least 4 on the boat and one fish.

Fished north of the narrows on Thursday. 2 undersized ling and lost 18-19lb spring at the boat. Hooked the spring at the bluffs just north of Deepwater bay 200ft on the rigger. Hundreds of dolphins went by several times. Quite the show

20150713_170834_resized.jpg
20150713_174921_resized.jpg

Went out from 4-7pm yesterday for a quick fish at the Campbell River hump. 2 nice little springs 10lb and 11lb. Double header with the salmon. One caught on a 6inch tomic silver spoon, the other on a white hoochie, 160 and 200ft. A couple nice pacific cod for fish and chips tonight also. Sure was a lot of crap in the water.

Back