2015 Nanaimo Reports

Just for fun I looked at it. Looks like current is ebbing and your wind in same direction.. So you are probably golden until around 1 and 2 then it will get snotty when flood current kicks in. I am just looking at Gabriola passage so it might be different close to you not sure what you guys use..

If anyone knows and use some sort current atlas for Nanaimo..north island can they let me know by PM..I use Murray's down here with a current atlas in combination with weather forecast but I cant find an atlas for up there? I have been using that Wind TV app its been pretty good... Its too bad Washington State Marine Forecast didn't also extend up there its pretty dam accurate at least in west side of island. If I tow rig up its an hour one way so its the ***** to turn around...

Sorry this is for reports very good fish Jeff carry on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done Aquadisiac. Not much action for us out there...did manage a 10 pounder at 130 feet on the homeland security spoon. Tried jigging for a bit and hooked an octopus. We released it unharmed. Does anyone know if Pacific octopus are of conservation concern?

Orcas and salmon - Victoria Day Saturday - Couple of flatlanders on the trip were pretty stoked.......

[ByfnEPOIHu4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByfnEPOIHu4

Nice amazing how good the fishing has become in close ..rumor has it a nanaimo local pulled in a 41 & 38 lber on friday....i know i know pics or it didn't happen.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_20150527_094200.jpg
Picked up two Humboldt squid yesterday. Good eating, kept heads for halibut bait. Water must be warmer than usual for them to be around or maybe they are after all the Pollock?

Wow, that is certainly a surprise I would think?
How deep were you? Did they hit the chovie?

Pretty sure those aren't Humbolts, but a smaller species called the minimal armhook squid. Caught a few up north and was intrigued as to what species they were so I did some research .

About 140ft down Fingers area both on anchovy. I did catch one of these same area about ten years ago, never since. We got some really big Humboldts at night when we went tuna fishing out of Westport one year, the two from yesterday look very similar and they also have the sharp teeth on the suction cups. Maybe adanac is right about it being some smaller species, interesting anyway. Would be nice if they can bring some tuna up with them to Nanaimo;)

I don't believe they are humboldts-don't look like the humboldts I get in Mexico-much too small as well. Bound to be some squid guys on here to tell you what type they are.

Back