Sooke2015

One of 3 boats out by possession late afternoon/evening today. Several hits, only one on that made it to the boat and released a really nice wild coho. Not much for good tides lines.

Fished from 12:30 to 4:30 this afternoon off the end of the Island. Kept 2 springs 12 and 9 pounds, one red, one white and a hatchery coho. Released 11 wild ones. 50-65 feet best all on anchovy.

Time to drop the Coho slot...1 wild at least!

Time to drop the Coho slot...1 wild at least!

Yeah we will have to wait till Oct 1st...:( I went out last trip last week in usual spots far out in tide lines and there weren't that many around yet and about 4 of them I got into were not that big.. Although I hooked a larger one out west fishing for springs.. I am not sure what our local SFAB did last year but we did have it open in Sept... Maybe it was rain situation that they didn't open it up..

No I would say more like a year when the natives were not allowed to take very many Sockeye that DFO played it safe by going back to Oct 1st as to not raise native hackles. More political BS.

Fished whirl bay near church pulled a 20 plus out got away from seals out in the deep ,fishing 60 ft on the downrigger 120 ft of water ....still big ones to be had ..

Fish on eh.........

Fished off the Head this AM, in close and out to 380 for 1 clipped coho. Slow for us.
T2

Went out front of the harbour. Had about 10 fish most were small, we did manage 2 hatchery, a 5 and 8 lber. Hope the rains brings in some larger ones by Oct 1. Nice weather just a little wet but not too bad.

The Coho seem smaller than normal so far. I haven't had anything over 7-8 pounds. All species seem to be getting smaller, even the pinks and sockeye were smaller. Always used to get a few close to 10 pounds, not even close this cycle.

The Coho seem smaller than normal so far. I haven't had anything over 7-8 pounds. All species seem to be getting smaller, even the pinks and sockeye were smaller. Always used to get a few close to 10 pounds, not even close this cycle.
been finding same...but it's not Oct yet and the bigger ones usually arrive then.

Out from 10-7 today, only wild coho for us, but one was very large, guessed over 10 lbs, safely released. But I suck at guessing size....still believe it was close to some of the spring we caught above ten lbs.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Went out Saturday afternoon around 3 with some friends from out of town. Got a hit right away that didn't stick. Around 5pm landed a fiesty 13 pound spring near Beechey head. The weather was excellent out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fished Otter from 0730-12pm. Quiet till 10am then the bite came in bursts of 3-5 hits so just kept working to stay on them. Found some down at 80' out aways from the beach but also at 60'. Landed about 8 or so, all wild though and small side. A couple around 8lbs but nothing to write home about. All hits on anchovies, nothing took the koho killer. Wonder if this newbie's leader was too long. 4' too long? The old man had a good time despite coming home empty. Talked to the DFO guy at the ramp and he said only 3 hatch's were caught so far right out front on the harbour in 500' of water.

Fished Otter from 0730-12pm. Quiet till 10am then the bite came in bursts of 3-5 hits so just kept working to stay on them. Found some down at 80' out aways from the beach but also at 60'. Landed about 8 or so, all wild though and small side. A couple around 8lbs but nothing to write home about. All hits on anchovies, nothing took the koho killer. Wonder if this newbie's leader was too long. 4' too long? The old man had a good time despite coming home empty. Talked to the DFO guy at the ramp and he said only 3 hatch's were caught so far right out front on the harbour in 500' of water.
N2013, don't think 4' was too long for your leader. Probably need to go a bit faster than you would with anchovies though. Most guys around Sooke use hootchies and spoons on opposite sides. Also coho don't hold around structure very much but keep on pushing through especially after rain. So most guys in Sooke troll way out in 400-500' of water at depths from 40-100'. And yes, most of the fish are small right now although there seems to be the exception and some on here have reported 10lb fish but that has not happened to me so far this year!!:)

Well went out for springs in morning for a few hours then bailed..Then went out for coho... I have been fishing area for years and these coho right now have to be smallest seen for this time of year. The qty there I must have hooked into 30 of them. But none if them were past 5lbs..even some already had hooked noses..very weird. Anywhere from 80 to 90 feet.

I thought I would add be careful out there especially going farther out.. on Wednesday my boat took on a about a 10 foot wave across beam of my boat. It's about the worst situation my boat went up almost greater than a 45. I am not sure where it came from maybe freighter...I couldn't see it in chop until it was on top of me. With a lot of these eastwinds BWD may be right but with opposing tide you don't need much with colder temps to get into trouble.... I am still shook up about it if I had hit a second one I probably would have flipped. Just thought I would pass it on.

Back