Sooke2015

fished yesterday 7-am to 12pm around posssession and secretary released 4 wild coho and kept two small hatcheries around 3 p0unds . ended up getting my left side down rigger cable snarled around the kicker propeller and nearly driffting into another boat................NOT FUN.....C.A.

Since summer has made a welcome last minute reappearance we went out again today. This time we went to the East side of Otter and Trailer Park area. A lot of this area is now unfishable due to the forest of crab traps which are resident opposite the Park. Anyway close to east otter shore is OK. But despite waiting for the flood and looping past the point a few times Otter was a bust for us as usual. Not even a shaker or a coho, We only saw one fish caught all morning. By 11am we headed out to deeper water to try for coho. In 400’ of water we released 6 or 7, all unclipped and all small. We have caught a few coho in the past two weeks but not one has made it to 4lbs. The fact that folks on here refer to catching coho up to 10lbs already amazes me and I do not know their secret. Out there a bit later the east wind kicked up a bigger chop than yesterday and so we trolled and bounced back with the tide to the harbour mouth eating our lunch without any further interruption from annoying fish, LOL.:D

Anyway, really enjoyed the last two days of summer fishing and at least we got one Chinook yesterday!! LOL:cool:

Not very many boats fish the east side of Otter...

I hope your kidding lol. East side of Otter a lot of people fish.

Sorry in all seriousness EM Otter point is very good fishing place it can be good on either side east or west. Keep in mind its slowing down now which it should ( we need those Chinooks in river). We didn't get any Chinook yesterday and put in a solid 6 hours pounding it. I did see a few get taken not many so some are there...

11 am in my opinion today was too early to leave. You left right before the change. I would have stayed with starting of the flood on the ebb change mid-day. That is probably why you saw no boats on that side when you were fishing it. Waiting for the change to happen on west side or off out aways directly from point..

I am really looking for the last big white next week before packing it in..

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope your kidding lol. East side of Otter a lot of people fish.

Sorry in all seriousness EM Otter point is very good fishing place it can be good on either side east or west. Keep in mind its slowing down now which it should ( we need those Chinooks in river). We didn't get any Chinook yesterday and put in a solid 6 hours pounding it. I did see a few get taken not many so some are there...

11 am in my opinion today was too early to leave. You left right before the change. I would have stayed with starting of the flood on the ebb change mid-day. That is probably why you saw no boats on that side when you were fishing it. Waiting for the change to happen on west side or off out aways directly from point..

I am really looking for the last big white next week before packing it in..

SV, the tide (current) change from ebb to flood was about 8:30am. By 11 am it was running quite strongly west to east past the point. By that time several boats that had been hanging about near 3rd rock during the ebb were all off the point doing the "dance". One or two poked down the east side a little way, but then came back. Like a said we only saw one fish caught, but as you say it is right at the end of the season and so not a typical day. The funny thing is this year and all the times in previous years we have been there I have never seen a "bite" like gets reported on here. One fish here, one there, but otherwise a large flock of boats all going round and round with no one catching. I guess I am just never there at the right time!!
(Sheringham has always been better for us (Not that we have caught many there - this is Englishman after all!! LOL:)) but at least there is never more than 5 or 6 boats there which makes it a lot more pleasant!!):cool:

I think this is yet another case of confusion between tide change and current change. I think SV is right, the current change after 11 might have been more productive.

The flood current started at about 10:30 at Otter. The change was about 10 o'clock, there was a short bite at that time we caught 2 and lost 2. Nothing big, 10-14 pounds.

Bite came on 1:30 at Otter just after I checked profisher's hooks for barbs...lol. Two teener springs and half a dozen wild coho with one of them around 13-14#. Biggest Sooke coho for me in a while. All fish released today. Just for the fun!

9.jpg5.jpg

went out from 10:00 to 1:30, decided to get my son into some coho action headed out of the harbor to 600 ft saw lots finning but they turned out to be a bunch of small ones, got to check your gear alot. Only got three decent hits but did not stick. Also hooked in a nice spring in about 400 ft of water which was already dark, got it 20 ft from the boat when the hook came out. I would say it was very slow and not much decent coho out there... Did not see any nets either. Hopefully the bigger ones will show up by Oct 1.

Was trying to decide where to fish tomorrow. I think you sold me LB.

Ended up at Otter as usual. 2 small red springs about 12 lb and a few coho released. Also got the ugliest looking spring you ever saw it looked like it's back was broken and was almost eel shaped. Otter still producing for us but fish getting smaller every time we are out.

Still good fishing but will describe it as spotty have to work an area managed a beauty 25 lb marbled today that was nice and chrome and was a hatchery!!!!!! normal depth of 65 ft on green had 4 on only got that 1,
2 lost at the boat damn barbless sometimes... and what awesome weather!!!!

good luck wolf

WOW sept 13 and they still keep coming another great day for the wolf crew!!!!!!! good am action biggest 18 and a small 9 lber that was a bleeder some nice teeners deeper today 85 ft was the number of the day ....

good luck Wolf

Attachments

• sept 13th day.jpg
    sept 13th day.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,071
was out on Saturday the 12th had really good coho action went through a lot of catch and release before we found the hatchery ended the day with hatch coho's and lost a spring at the boat. Knots gotta know hot to tie knots lol..... Buddy is just learning how to fish this year and his knot let go reason I know? the curly q pig tail that came back and the teaser head was still on the line :( oh wells gotta learn somehow, some lessons are harder than others :) Weather on Saturday was amazing I've never fished in a 14 foot whaler before amazed at how little freeboard the things have yet pretty stable. Personal preference? no I'll stick to my DE, next boat? biggger is better :p anyone know about the defiance boats pm me. End rant

@Arjento...:)
[tTO35aq0_yQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTO35aq0_yQ&feature=youtu.be

Back