Sooke2015

Definitely a lot of fish out there still... Was out from 7-1 yesterday..I picked up and released four springs not big..Around the mid teen range... Between Muir and Otter..

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally found a bigger fish in the mix yesterday..28 1/2 and a white.

I sure hope they are around for the long weekend :) got blown off the water on Saturday with a late start to boot.

Was out yesterday from 10am to 3pm with the family, lots of action but only one 10 pound spring. After getting back to cheanuh marina there was an incredible amount of large fish STILL around and being caught. The fishing in Sooke has been one special year thus far!!

Yes, the Sooke fishing has been awesome this year, and it continues to be!! Lot's of good reports still coming in! I went out yesterday with a couple of buddies, ended up with 5 springs, released a couple, lost a couple, couple of pinks and coho that were released. We fished Otter with most fish caught off the beach towards Muir. Headed to Possesion at about 1pm and had a good scrap with a 23 lb. whitey that was tubbed, buddy lost another good one right at roll -up at about 4 pm. Wonder how long this good fishing will last , maybe til we get some good rains. Couple of our springs were smaller, seemed like winter feeder's. Fishing is good but i still say size is down, is for me anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,527
Definitely still lots of springs out there. Fished Otter and Muir for a few hours yesterday. Picked up 3 and lost a few more. After the bait ran out we put on spoons and moved to deeper water to look for coho. Ended up picking up a couple more springs at 70' in 200' of water.

Wow, Sept 1st and still red hot spring fishing. Went out today at 1pm and was done by 4pm. Hit 10 springs (2 doubles) landed 6...all teenagers, (got to take 2 home for myself) released 2 wild Coho, kept 2 hatchery Coho and 2 pinks. This in 3 hours fishing time!!

Yes defiantly still VERY GOOD not "poor" by any means last few trips been getting 3 to 5 springs per outing some in the mid 20s with some coho and pinks to throw in there as well.

Heard of a few hogs coming in too by others a 38.5 a few days ago and a 40 hit the dock yesterday.
you still have time

good luck wolf

Still some nice fish to be caught coho and odd pink around and some nice springs,yesterday wolf crew got 3 nice ones and lost 2 others woman reeled in her first salmon ever a nice red 25 lber and a white 20 and a 14 to top it off
hoping we still have a bit of time with these mice springs

Attachments

• 51505.jpg
    51505.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 728
defiantly mice springs...:)

Well last week the weather turned from late August to late October in an instant and so we have not felt like braving the torrential rains for almost a week. However, today we fished from 8:00am until 2:00pm and this morning it still felt like late October!!. Started out at Otter intending to troll down to Muir and maybe Sheringham. Did a couple of loops with all the boats there. Spoke to Wolf. Don’t know how he got on because he has only posted for yesterday, but for us Otter was its usual bust, although we may have had one hit which came to nothing. Continued down to Muir and picked up a couple of pinks in shallow (55-66’) on the way. Stayed at Muir going up and down at various depths and eventually got a hatch coho after releasing a couple of unclipped ones. By lunchtime abandoned the shallower waters and tried “winter” fishing at 108’ in 140’ of water. Promptly got two “winter” chinook of 6lbs each either side of a pink at the same depths. One on herring and one on anchovy. Although the Chinook were identical weights one was short and fat and a white and the other long and thin and a red. Not much to write home about compared to the expert's posts on here but I was very happy. It is hard enough to find the chinooks in summer let alone on a cold September day after all the rain has probably hurried the fish all through!!:D

Has anyone heard of any change to the COHO retention regs. coming up. At the cleaning table today, it was mentioned that there could be a change where we could keep a wild coho and a couple more clipped coho.

Out last eve for a "Hey, there's a break between the fronts and floater pants in the van" fish. Thanks to "Time We'll Wasted" for the use of a coat, and "Bait?" -offer of some fellow that had probably had it with seagulls in the bay. I want to say, as a lady fisherman, thank you to all the gentlemen that have welcomed us ladies to the fishing grounds, the derbies, and the radio chat. It was great to hear the lady on 68 who felt the need to ask about the seal with a flasher. That's in Sooke, right? I'm at Aldridge.

Dropped immediately into a 15-16 # on the line while verbally convincing a young gull that the f* bait was not his to ingest, the net over-turning over the tackle box in the classic single person gong show and borrowing a knife back at the dock to take the 88 year old at the end of the block a box of jarred bone-in fish to help with her osteoporiosis tonight! Thanks all. Cool thing, it was her Peetz reel she won as a ladies prize at the WFP derby years and years ago. "It was just a little fish, but I guess it was the only one entered in the derby" she said.

A double - header of 6 # wild coho followed, one losing an eye in the catch makes me wish that there was a "judgement clause". Hoochie Earrings 4-ever

Fish report...an "unnamed source" well I guess I know him...:) sent me a pic of a "50 + pounder" chinooky;it was a picture of a guy holding a bloodied,BIG fish,caught at 11:45 am today(Sooke)

Well EM should have come in the evening I cant understand why you can't get fish there?...What an excellent night. Just got home tonight hit Otter from 5-8 for the flood. Put rods down double header of pinks right away..10 minutes later a 12 lbs spring..Then a double header of springs in teens. Made a loop around around again picked up an over 20 fish we let go.

Slowed down a little than we got another spring on that tore off at the surface nearly spooled us. Headed back double header of some wild coho.All in 3 hours. One of the better nights I have had..hardly kept gear in water.

Well EM should have come in the evening I cant understand why you can't get fish there?...What an excellent night. Just got home tonight hit Otter from 5-8 for the flood. Put rods down double header of pinks right away..10 minutes later a 12 lbs spring..Then a double header of springs in teens. Made a loop around around again picked up an over 20 fish we let go.

Slowed down a little than we got another spring on that tore off at the surface nearly spooled us. Headed back double header of some wild coho.All in 3 hours. One of the better nights I have had..hardly kept gear in water.

Sounds like a great night SV. Maybe one of these nights I will have to try hitting the flood at Otter. 'Cept then I will read later about how there was a great bite at Otter early that morning!! :D

Back