Sooke2015

Sir reel. What depth were you at if you dont mind me asking

62 feet seemed to be the ticket today. All on Anchovy.
We actually got a 15 pound Chinook on the surface yesterday just checking the Bait.

Awesome. Sounds like you had an amazing day. Hopefully im as lucky as you are on sunday. Taking some friends out and would love to show them what a spring looks like.

Got a 22 and a 20 tonight by the can in pedder.
Just kept circling massive bait action. Definitely a great night on the water.
First one was about 20 minutes in.

Great night on the water last night, went out for the evening bite 7-9pm. Awarded with 2 springs in low 20s, hatch coho and 4 pinks. Not bad at all. Fished right close to the island with riggers at 62 and 72. All manner of teasers heads were working with gold betsy flashers. Pretty hard fought fish though, a few runs to the boat and back. Thankfully BWD was a bit off on his predictions last night

Went out again today from 7:00am until noon. Spoke to Rockfish at the dock and then got out to the harbour mouth ahead of him. About 30 minutes later Rockfish’s boat appeared out of the fog and he reported he had two fish after only 10 minutes. I thought “uh-oh” here we go again…….as we had had no hits until that point. Ten minutes later one rod goes off finally and we got a nice 13lb fish to the boat. We got it at 80’ in about 95’ of water on….wait for it….an Andrew P. spoon.! So finally after many tries and making the R.S. Craven mod (small silver swivel between lure and hook – no fancy red tubing ‘cos I don’t know where to get that! LOL) the spoon has worked. Obviously I have to practice some more with this lure as all the experts on here have caught dozens on it already, but for me it has been patience rewarded at last.

Then a couple of hours later in the Possession area we had a strange slow “pull” on the other rod which for an instant I thought was the bottom. Turned into a hard diving (not running; just plunging down) 16lb fish. This one was on conventional anchovy at about 72’. The 13lb fish was a white and the 16 was a “normal” red.

Fantastic day on the water and even the fog was beautiful in its way.

Out today and got 2 springs 15 and 18 plus 3 hatchery coho and kept a couple of pinks. All on anchovy from 38 to 69 feet.
Pinks around Muir were insane and we had to move farther west.
Also tons of clear jelly fish that kept getting around the downrigger line and causing blowback. We had to clean off every 10 minutes.
If someone could teach pinks to eat jellies and not anchovies that would be awesome!
Beautiful start to the morning although foggy. Ended up pretty windy.
Out again tomorrow

Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 407
Anyone tried setting crab traps around the trailer park or Otter?
around where the commercial guys set.
Or are the currents too strong?

Out Friday morning in the fog. Beautiful morning. Otter, into the beach area and down to Muir. Just pinks. Did see a nice spring caught at otter around 10:30.

I took a couple of buddies out on Thursday this week, found some fish at Otter, including a nice size hatch 'ho - we went back on friday but only one 10 lber, guess they moved to Sec/Poss, i knew we should have went there, all on anchovy. My buddy did try a knew way of filleting a pink, bring it up to the boat then feed it through the prop guard on the kicker, almost stalled it but not quite, to funny tho'

Attachments

• IMG_3152.jpg
    IMG_3152.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_3164.jpg
    IMG_3164.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 706
Does anyone in the Victoria area know (or is he on here) a Mike Murray? I found a float of his in Beacher Bay today. It still had about 30 feet of rope attached.

Was out today. My motor kept stalling. I think I had some air in the fuel line. Did get a nice sockeye (released) and boated a couple nice pinks. Had about 8 others that we released.

Fished out of pedder this morning. It was dead slow out there. Only saw a few pinks caught. We had a couple hits, more than likely pinks, but no real hookups, and that was it. Seemed like the fish just weren't there....

Fished Secretary to Christopher point this morning from 630 to 830. Started with a double header both 18. Alone so I played catch and release with 4 more teenagers. All on anchovies at 60 and 90 ft.
Fun morning

Epic day on the water today. Got our limit of 4 Chinooks 14 to 19 pounds including a double header. Released a couple more. Then got a fantastic killer whale show at Otter around 3pm. Breaches and hunting right in the bay.
Bit of rain today but calm water.
Pall fish were down deep at 90 feet on Black and Crome teaser head with anchovy.
Heading home tomorrow after a great trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 513
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 511
Saw a disturbing thing on the way home tonight. After we packed up and got on plane rounded Otter point and headed for Sooke harbour we spotted another pod of killer whales and steered well clear of them. However a boat behind us ran right through the pod at high speed and may have been only 50 feet from the whales.
He must have seen them. Could have easily hit a surfacing whale. We we absolutely aghast watching it.
Aren't there laws against that?
We saw the same boat heading out this morning full speed and bouncing along on the chop.
Was a 18 foot something with a dark stripe and Yamaha outboard. Soft top with something red on top.
Had poor trim as the boat was porposing badly.
He went into Sook harbour marina but did not see where he ended up.
Would like to have chat with him.

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/186378261.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 494
Thanks for posting this.
I see allot of respect on the water for Orcas*but everyonce in awhile some freeken knothead screws up.
I used the 1-800 observe and report number last month. Given pics or ID info that the officers can use, they do follow up.

Saw a disturbing thing on the way home tonight. After we packed up and got on plane rounded Otter point and headed for Sooke harbour we spotted another pod of killer whales and steered well clear of them. However a boat behind us ran right through the pod at high speed and may have been only 50 feet from the whales.
He must have seen them. Could have easily hit a surfacing whale. We we absolutely aghast watching it.
Aren't there laws against that?
We saw the same boat heading out this morning full speed and bouncing along on the chop.
Was a 18 foot something with a dark stripe and Yamaha outboard. Soft top with something red on top.
Had poor trim as the boat was porposing badly.
He went into Sook harbour marina but did not see where he ended up.
Would like to have chat with him.

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/186378261.html

Tried for Hali this morning but only caught dogfish and jigged up some pinks.

Hit Muir to otter late afternoon and landed a 19lber chinook, nice coho and zero pink.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439102677.033225.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439102725.176495.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439102690.670023.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439102690.670023.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 372
Back