Sooke2015

Took a family from England out yesterday morning, never fished before, bit of a gong show, but they managed some action with all the pinks still in the area from the head to possession. Weather was great!!

Nice work Chris. Good to see the Gov on the water showing how it's done.
Your new ride looks great too.

Good day again yesterday with my Jr crew.
1 decent spring, a good size hatch coho and a bunch of pinks.
Release a few coho of decent size. Lots of them around early this year.

Kids had a blast. Fighting pinks like they were marlin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,134
Last edited by a moderator:
Last Sat fished from 6 am till 11 am, my buddy and I went to Aldridge Point, I caught two teenager springs the 14 lbs red and 16 lbs white at 51 feet took on the anchovy. about 6 - 630 am. After that nothing happened. We changed the lures, in about 2 mins my buddy caught a nice 8 lbs hatchery coho after that was super busy end up limited out with pinks.

windy at pedder really windy; lost my hat :( lots of pinks no springs today. Got sucked into race passage that was nice my boat sure does act like a kite sometimes lol. All is good 5 pinks for us threw a bunch back and one screamer we never landed. That's fishing I guess. Be safe guys today was blowing pretty good. first light to 1pm.

Been out quite a few times over the last week and a half, including the consultant's derby. Nothing bigger than 14lbs to show for it, except for one ~20lb halibut.

Caught my first arrow tooth flounder and made the mistake of keeping it. Even though it was caught at the end of the day, put on ice right away, and cleaned back at the dock the flesh wasn't very appealing and it'll be going for use as crab bait. The parasites in the flesh didn't help to sell it's palatability.

Forgot to mention we chased around a fish dragging a flasher along the surface at the trap for quite a while.
We tired it out and got right up beside it but when I hooked the flasher with gaff, the line snapped right away.

So if you snapped off a fish with a shorter leader with what looked to be a bloody nose teaser... your fish looked to be mid to high teens.
And... you need to practice your knots. Must have broken off above the flasher at the knot when you lost him and below the flasher at the knot when I lost him. LOL

This has got to be one of the best pictures of the year. Look at how much fun that kid is having. All the bigger fish netted in my boat for the long weekend were on others rods, I was having fun watching them play em and I didn't trust them on the nets lol..... Great weather Saturday, Winday Monday and a long sleep needed great days. Hope the bigger springs are around for all of august.

Nice work Chris. Good to see the Gov on the water showing how it's done.
Your new ride looks great too.

Good day again yesterday with my Jr crew.
1 decent spring, a good size hatch coho and a bunch of pinks.
Release a few coho of decent size. Lots of them around early this year.

Kids had a blast. Fighting pinks like they were marlin.

Great couple days of fishing had to WORK really hard yesterday but managed our 4 springs as it was not a nice day Today was better. had clients for last 2 days with me 9 years in a row coming to fish our beautiful sooke. Today we landed a nice spring just a tad under 32 lbs along with a pair of 15s and a low teener.

Fish seem to be liking the greens and blue flashers last 2 days normal depths and the Andrew P spoon again deepest rod was 79 and up to 40 ft so normal depths, seems pinks have subsided for a bit only getting a few (for now) as im sure more are coming...hers the pics of the day

good luck Wolf

Attachments

• image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 600
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 604
Here is a picture of him 4 years ago at 13 and his first tyee a 31.5 lber awesome people and sure to be back again.....
hes taller then his dad now.....

Attachments

• 251578_10150322156586084_3597922_n.jpg
    251578_10150322156586084_3597922_n.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 596
Some nice fish coming in boys,,, well done all around.

I decided to hit Pedder bay this morning because the winds looked a little heavy everywhere else. My son and I played countless pinks on the Fly Rod and reel, what a blast that is.
We also lost a biggie. Straightened out the quick release clip on my line, going from the flasher to my spoon....unreal! I wasn't happy to lose a big fish that way, or my new spoon!! But things happen.
We were then rewarded with a 22, and a 12. Awesome morning, although the wind was a little heavy at times.image.jpg

Hiring a guide...

And I have to say English told you a long time ago to learn from others on here, told you bite the bullet hire a good charter guy like Rollie as i know you look up to him alot , and get him to SHOW you how what where and when, a few others have with me and you can learn alot of what your doing wrong.

Go for a half day the money you have spent already with skunks could have more than paid for it.

I dont know what your doing to be so unlucky but I really think you need a fresh set of eyes to see what your doing wrong. I think your missing some lil key things and he or any charter guy that does well can help you and maybe build up some confidence. SHOW whoever you go with WHAT you do be upfront tell them before hand what your intentions are most guides will help you learn..... take lots of note as your going to school man "fishing lessons 101"

There ARE lots of fish to be had out there. One word of advice And dont ask me How or why it does work but if you go into a spot feeling like "I dont know why we fished it for" and feeling UNconfident for some reason it wont work . you have to own it

Good luck Wolf

My son Zach and I went out with Wolf waaay back about 9 years ago (I think he was 9), for a day and it was well worth the cost of the trip. Fishing 101 is right. Zach was watching like a hawk and still uses most of the stuff that he saw Wolf doing. It was a crazy day with boats everywhere and yet Wolf managed to get us a Tyee and 3 more in the 20's. Much respect to Wolf for his skills and knowledge.

Zach is heading out to college in Florida in a couple of weeks on a baseball scholarship so we'll sneak out to Sooke on the water for a few days in our new to us Arima before he has to go. And we'll be using a lot of that knowledge that he learned from Wolf. Worth every penny of the charter price!

Ken D

Fished from 7:00am until 1:30pm with our son today. Started with a couple of passes of the Trap, then went East with the tide past Beechy and Aldridge. Came back around as water slackened and trolled back to Trap area both in close and further out. Tried anchovies, hootchies and both a glo spoon and the Andrew P. spoon. Got just a few pinks but no chinooks.

Waaay better day than I thought it might be, based on BWD prediction. Water was flat calm and all the fog stayed over in Washington. Saw a few sea lions and dolphins. There was also a herring ball at the west end of Trap area, and my son scooped some in the regular meshed landing net because we still have a many lbs from the last time and had no intention of keeping them. Ball was only about the size of 3 basketballs and boiled on the surface and there were many murres swimming around apparently uninterested. Perhaps they had eaten their fill?

Trolled around in that area for 20 mins but no luck there either.

launched at Cheanuh, 8-12. motored to the harbour mouth, trolled with the flood past Possession, Secretary, Trap Shack and Beechey Head, Hubby had three strikes, none stuck. Much nicer day, I agree, Englishman! Nice to wave and commiserate across the water:)
I just wish we could have connected with a spring.... Xena

Forgot to mention we chased around a fish dragging a flasher along the surface at the trap for quite a while.
We tired it out and got right up beside it but when I hooked the flasher with gaff, the line snapped right away.

So if you snapped off a fish with a shorter leader with what looked to be a bloody nose teaser... your fish looked to be mid to high teens.
And... you need to practice your knots. Must have broken off above the flasher at the knot when you lost him and below the flasher at the knot when I lost him. LOL

I actually lost one very very similar to that. took a few people out a week and a half ago. was a nice hit and fish was in site near the boat and the girl who brought it in kept reeling in with the flasher up at the top and then SNAP..Trust me, I know how to tie knots just need practice training women. that's funny that you saw the fish though.

Fished Otter and west to day. Got a 15 and a 19 and let a 10 and 12 go hoping for something bigger. Plus about 30 pinks. Had a few big pin poppers that didn't stick as well and one that broke the line.
Beautiful day on the water. Out again tomorrow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 328
Back