Sooke2015

Today my friend and I went to Whirl Bay for Salmon fishing. My buddy had never been able to catch any salmon in whole his life. 8:30 - 12:30.

We trolled for winter spring, We caught one winter springs in after tide change. We kept one hatchery springs 12.8lbs. The weather and water were so amazingly beautiful but water was choppy. Salmon fishing is SLOW.

where were all the boats today. Not many fishing today. Fished from 8-12 today. Gorgeous day. Caught a 7 pound spring on my fav spoon out near the entrance. Wind started to pick up a bit but the forenoon was flat seas.

Fished the Bedfords to Church rock tonight with my son. Caught a nice 8lber right away off the Bedfords 5:30ish. 70 ft chrome and green teaser with a Super Betsy flasher. Lost another nice one just the Race Rocks side of Church rock same rig at 80 ft. No luck for dad even after I switched to bait. Started with a glow splatter back Hootchie and Purple Haze flasher at similar depths, just cod on my line.
Good night to be out with the boy

Went out yesterday morning for the first time this year. It was a beautiful day out on the water. Fished beechy head to the trap. Lost my first fish to a seal. Hopefully this isn't a trend for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

went out and anchored up for some halis yesterday out in front of sooke,,,nothing,,there were about 10 other boats out there also,,some must have been in the derby,,got 2 keeper crabs,,was a nice day out on the water,,

Saturday 25th - Two 10 lb springs. One was a blood-red hatchery and the other a wild white spring - nice description hey?! Both on glo coho killer/purple glo flasher, down 160' in 230 - Bluffs-ish. Morning bite.
So nice to feel a fish on the line - almost nothing beats it - must be some kind of primal guy thing hey - love it.
Really glad to see the summer fish showing up - winter bottom fishing is a b*tch as I'm still strong-arming the manual DRs - with a crappy depth sounder to boot.
Smoked up one fish - saving the white for a special dinner.

5b080e784bca4391fd924d280dc4c24a.jpg
Jordan River area Friday - 3 flatties for us

Sooke thread is alive! :D

1/3 of a million views for Sooke area thread in 2014... should get busy soon.

Looking forward to the parking lot that is the Trap Shack.

Fished otter point to the trailer park tonight. I think it it is the trailer park, there seems to be one in every bay (Sherringham Point side)
Tried the bottom, tried the top, tried everything in betewwen
Tried bait, tried hootchies, tried spoons.......
Nothing....not a touch, no bait on the sounder, nothing not even a sea bass nothing.
Nice night to be on the water though (little lumpy around 6 but it calmed down)

we did good on sunday out of cheanuh. all fairly deep... 150 feet seemed best in 150 - 350 feet of water. coho killer.

otter point this morning - 250-270 depth with the riggers between 150 and 200. 2 wild (one red and one white) and 1 clipped all retained - all between 6-8 lbs and within the slot. released a a 15 lb wild caught on an anchovy @ 150. purple haze th anchovy and glo hootchie both produced. betsy flashers on both rods. picked up a pacific cod too. all on the morning bite. went quiet after 11ish and when the wind picked up. beautiful morning - no wind, no seals and marked bait from 50 to 250. nothing marked when trolled in shallower (around 100).

Got back out there today after a few weeks absence. Been monitoring this thread while we were away, but there has been very little activity. Only 23 posts since my last on March 14 and many of them not report related.

All the action seems to be on the Victoria reports thread.

So…either folks are making great catches off Sooke and keeping quiet about it…….or there is very little happening yet.

I think it is the latter. Fished the bluffs and around Secretary from 7:30 till 12:30pm at depths ranging from 95-200 feet using anchovies for the first couple of hours, then the Andrew P needlefish and glow hootchies.

No fish, no hits and saw very few birds. Also we were the only boat out there until 10:00am then a couple appeared off Secretary. That says a lot, so shall wait a couple of weeks and try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. The east has been doing pretty good I can't say this area is much different from Vic... Not a lot of guys are putting stuff on here as much... There are fish out there but not always at trailer park/bluff areas... I was out yesterday but concentrating on halibut....Came in too shore and did a couple passes lots of bait around....

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished sooke yesterday. Put in a good effort muir to Sheringham and back. Not a sniff on typical summer spring gear and depths. Barely used half a pack of bait.

Fished Saturday and Sunday. 1 fish Saturday at 150 in 300 ft on bait in front of Beecher bay, one other hit. It was pretty rough for my boat. Sunday was flat calm, and my buddy and I managed 3 in the boat, 7-8 pounders. Between beechy and the trap, lost 3 more. Second fish was inches from getting grabbed by a seal.

Where's all the Sooke reports?

I found this on Facebook and thought it was worth sharing. I can't find the details anymore but it's Sooke around the 1920s.... Look at the quality of those fish! And the sturgeon lol.

Ok back to reports.

Hambone,

I believe there are very few posts because no one is catching much off Sooke (very few people post their skunk days except me!! LOL).

Those fish that are being caught have been coming from the east - Beechy Head, Beecher Bay and Whirl. Out front, the Bluffs, Trailer Park etc has been dead.

Of course now I have said that someone is going to come on here with reports of limit catches........but anyway I'll give it another go next week but probably head east unless things change on here.....and I will put up a post catch or no catch!!

I put in a long day on Sunday - was allowed out as I got the pool up for the kids and the garden in j:p
Quickly caught a 10 off the bluffs on anchovie-green teaser head. Trolled over to Otter- saw 2 netted just west of the point. Nothing for me-currents were smoking-tangled my lines. Motored over to the trap shack got one big hit-lost it. Went home w the 10'er that I caught many hours earlier at sunrise.

Interesting to hear that there are more fish being caught east Sooke than west Sooke - would others agree?

Back