Victoria Reports 2015

Hmmmmm, interesting...
I was thinking sooke on sat....but maybe it's time to pound the break wall...

Out for a couple hours tonight with some extended family. Tons and tons of bait on the flats. We had a brief double header of pinks and that was that. 2 amazing crab trap pulls -- going out and coming in got us a massive feed. But Oak Bay is back to sleepy-town.

6-8pm on the flats last night. Spoon then hootchie on one side and bait on the other. Not even a nibble. 3 crab on the way in. It was nice and flat out there though.

Anybody tried for Halibut lately, assume dogfish are still thick ?

we had some good luck early in the week.
all chickens around 20 - 25 pounds
West end of Constance 200' using fresh pink heads
my guess they are in all your favorite spots and yes...dogs are a problem, but they can't seem to get their mouths around a fish head.

Yep givin hali a go tomorrow morn..then west i guess,which will be the first time i have left oak bay since last oct :)
dec- aug has had some great fishing. Saturday at the trap shall be a switch from zig zagging around the flatts!

Tried brodie to channel pt last night, jacks and a couple tail stripped chovies from a few that i netted out of a bait ball. After reviewing some go pro footage from last year i have noticed quite a few chinnook will nibble at the tail of any lure. Even pulling on plastic. I have recently gone back to just a single treble, and am not convinced i only want fish that devour the whole rig! So, teaser heads with stinger hooks or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hali

Anybody tried for Halibut lately, assume dogfish are still thick ?
Anchored off Race today but nothing (9-1pm). The current looked good but we could barely keep the lines down at 300ft. Gave up when the wind and fog rolled in. Saw a few caught.

Fished Border Bank today. Got a couple halis there. Only one dog. My buddy was out yesterday at the border as well. He got 2 halis and no dogs.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hi, looking to launch at Cattle Point this morning/early afternoon to catch the afternoon slack. Anything of note being brought in? Otherwise, I'll just stick to Pender Bluffs.

Thanks!

Fished 6-9 AM around Esquimalt Anglers and the breakwater yesterday. Got nothing. Spent most of the time trying to keep the lines clean.

Two hours at Constance. Just two pinks so far. Haven't seen much else happening here. Lots of Jiggers out today.

Out of Esquimalt at 7am. Fair amount of bait around Brochie marker and released a few small chinooks. Saw one guy release a nice coho that was wild. Lost 3 nice pin poppers between the flag pole and clover point. (I'm sharping my gear right now!) One was a screamer that released close to the boat. Funny thing was it pulled another hook out of it's mouth. If the gear below is yours, it was a nice fish and is some where between around clover and trial. :) Another first today, as I was bringing in a 14-16" ling cod a monster ling that I guess might be 36" plus was right along side of the one on the line. Sandlance was not working as good as anchovies today for us. Tomorrow is another day.

Attachments

• DSC08538.jpg
    DSC08538.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 816
I was on the water at 5:30 this morning. Had the breakwater all to myself until 7:00 or so. Landed a 21 at 6:30. Nothing after that. Nice flat calm water most of the day.

I'm working evenings this week, so the boy and I went out for a little fish along the waterfront. Seems like a few boats had fish, things started off a little slow for us, but then right in front of the brick wall we hooked up with a beautiful 20 pound spring or so. We fought him for a while, my boy finally got him close the boat and I had one chance at netting him but the fish wasn't quite close enough, he turned and that was it off he went.

Hot at the front today, lost a 20lber right at the boat then we got a 16 and a 13, and a couple big hits too. Yesterday was good too lost a hog and landed a 21lber. Long leaders!
Camping in renfrew for a couple days back on friday.

Got word that oak bays finest had found my devious trailer had lapsed decals, so they had it towed for everyones safety...phew. $300 dollars well earned guys!
I was cutting my evening on the flatts short when these two happened, first successfull solo double header of the year :)
Good timesimage.jpg

Nice! Glad to see fish from the flats! Did you see many other people get any? Looks like the Sitka spoon on one side, what on the other?

Back