Victoria Reports 2015

Bad fishing day right from the get-go. Started up the main motor at the dock. "Knock, Knock" "Who's there" "Rod" "Rod who?" Con rod ready to let go. At least that's what I suspect. Will find out when do a tear down, but looks like my fishing season is done. Unless some one has a decent replacement for a 70 Evinrude. So putted out of Esquimalt Anglers on the kicker and stayed around McCauley and breakwater only for 2 lowly pinks. There were a few teener springs caught out front this morning.

One of the pinks we caught (male) had all these little white beebee size growths in the flesh. Dozens in this one and noticed a few in the flesh of a fish caught last week. They are solid but pop like zits when squeezed. Anyone know what these are?

Parasites?

I had those white balls in a coho a few years back. Supposedly a parasite. The coho I had had wounds that were healed. It seems that if a fish gets a cut the parasite gets in the fish. Supposedly still good to eat but just couldn't based on how it looked.

Picked up a 16 at Macaulay this morning about 7ish. a real screamer, awesome fight. As mentioned, a break from the pinks today was nice for a change. :). What a problem they were. lol <sarcasm>

So much weed in the water.... Was hard to keep the gear clean after a while.

Pulled the pin early but went home happy with a dandy Spring. :)

We picked up two 18 and 12 lbs both great fighter's. Both around 9am and shallow. There was lot's of weeds for sure, all morning. We got them right in the middle of the thick stuff too, sure made it interesting!

Ya I looked for red material at the tackle shop and had no luck. I assume it is like surgical hose. Island outfitters had some but you need to buy 20 feet of it. Scott where do you get this stuff?

Apparently the white gobules are cysts called Henneguya salminicola or "salmon Tapioca Disease" formed when the fish is infected with parasites and the immune system forms the cyst around the parasite. I aint eatin it.

/\ /\ You are correct, I cut open a pink a few weeks ago from the sooke area and it was covered in the white cysts, was pretty nasty. Apparently doesn't harm humans but I aint eating that stuff!!

/\ /\ You are correct, I cut open a pink a few weeks ago from the sooke area and it was covered in the white cysts, was pretty nasty. Apparently doesn't harm humans but I aint eating that stuff!!

Thankfully the Halibut will ;)

Ya I looked for red material at the tackle shop and had no luck. I assume it is like surgical hose. Island outfitters had some but you need to buy 20 feet of it. Scott where do you get this stuff?

It's red U.V.tubing . just cut a small piece and slide over the swivel.
buddy gave me some

Will be out on the flats tonight with a gaggle of nieces and nephews and will let you know how it goes. Tried for 30 mins yesterday around 3pm but the winds were too wicked so we moved to Haro. However, in that time, we got a small spring and lost another....

Check your water temps? Probably a lot warmer than normal and my PS Chinooks (LOL) are moving toward the Swiftsure area a little earlier than normal?

My boat is in Sooke this summer, but if it was in Victoria I would be at Albert head to Esquimalt hatbour mouth etc. Massive bait balls flowing by daily, birds going crazy. They roll in one after the other. There has to be fish holding there.

JL

Back