Victoria Reports 2015

Today was first day of fishing since last fall. I badly injured my right shoulder (dominate arm) in a fall while moose hunting last September. I had massive shoulder surgery in February and with lots of physiotherapy and being a good boy, I had the go ahead to finally fish in my boat starting today. Today also coincided with my 65th birthday, so I got up early and bought my senior's discounted license. I can't begin to tell you how nice it was to get out. I wish I could say that I got a huge spring but that wasn't the case. I had to settle for keeping 4 pinks, a nice legal lingcod and a decent black rockfish. "Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" as my wife would say. The big springs will have to wait for the next trip, but I'll get em.

No springs for me yesterday morning either but there was a wall of pinks. Two times I had them grab the lure right in the wash of the boat as I was prepping to clip to the downrigger to let my gear down. lol

It's a good time to get kids and newbies out. There's much furious action with so many pinks around.

Oak Bay Flats was hot for us this morning, from 9-11 went 3 for 5 on Springs. Finished with 16, 13 & 8 lbs, lost a good one to a seal, got one in on a double header. All on bottom with Moon Jelly Sitka Spoon doing the damage.

Tried the harbour mouth yesterday to get away from pinks. It worked well for 2 hours and then a massive wave of pinks moved in tight to the beach. I've never seen that many jumping all over the place so close to the beach. Once they moved in, it was impossible to get the gear down.

DSCN1590.jpg
[/URL]

Nice to get back on the water again. Got this 28 at 20' in 45' on large anchovy, UV Green Anchovy Special and Green Jellyfish flasher. Lost a big one prior to catching this one when it went to the bottom and broke the leader off on rocks. Also caught a couple of pinks. Fun morning on the waterfront.

DSCN1590.jpg
[/URL]

Nice to get back on the water again. Got this 28 at 20' in 45' on large anchovy, UV Green Anchovy Special and Green Jellyfish flasher. Lost a big one prior to catching this one when it went to the bottom and broke the leader off on rocks. Also caught a couple of pinks. Fun morning on the waterfront.

Candidate for the Hog-O-The-Year award thus far.....

DSCN1590.jpg
[/URL]

Wow! Maybe that's where I am going wrong. I have never fished in water less than 60' deep. 20' in 45' I have never even considered. Probably not many pinks in that tight either. Mind you at those depths in Sooke are where the large kelp beds lurk.........
Congrats anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pink eat anywhere from surface to 150 feet.

In two weeks ago. I dumped the pink hootchy and I didn't put the line on the down rigger , the pink got it.

Wow! Maybe that's where I am going wrong. I have never fished in water less than 60' deep. 20' in 45' I have never even considered. Probably not many pinks in that tight either. Mind you at those depths in Sooke are where the large kelp beds lurk.........
Congrats anyway.

In two weeks ago. I dumped the pink hootchy and I didn't put the line on the down rigger , the pink got it.

Same. Happened to me twice the other day. Next time I go the fly rod is coming with me. They're damn good sport on light gear.

If the world serves you pinks.... Well.... You catch pinks. Lol. Turn it into fun.

Same. Happened to me twice the other day. Next time I go the fly rod is coming with me. They're damn good sport on light gear.

If the world serves you pinks.... Well.... You catch pinks. Lol. Turn it into fun.

That's the best advice I've heard in a while here, I agree, when in Rome......

agreed. On Saturday we were catching them with a small apex on the surface on a trout rod and reel. Wasnt adrenaline pumping migrating Chinook fishing, but it's fun.

This is exactly what I do on pink years. Run my 9 weight fly rod as a third rod with a spoon on it loaded with 15# mono,, it's a blast. Especially for kids,, gets them used to handling bigger fish on the larger mooching reels.. And hey I don't know any adult that doesn't enjoy a battle with 5# humpy on it either.. It really does add some fun to the day.

slow day on the OB flats and at the gap from 8 -2, one small keeper spring only couple other bites. Not a pink in sight.

Back