Victoria Reports 2015

those fn commies have rapped our coast of crab,,worst fn year ever crabbing in sooke basin,,DFO,,OPEN YOUR FN EYES AND do your job,,and i know just what they will do,,they will close it for the sporty and let the commies clean up,,i am so fn pissed at dfo for crab,,salmon and halis managements,,we,,the sporty will loose out,,

Yeah, never noticed any traps over by the lagoon...you mean you can fish crabs there too!

Hey wait...you're just trying to get me to put my trap in there so the rest of the ocean will be open for you! Dam you and your reverse psychology!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pounded out, and sat in the lumps 2-4pm
Chicken limit
View attachment 15926
Hubblebump, we appreciate your honest report and photos--but there are times when a different knife would be appropriate,
for example when you send you are taking fishing photos to send to friends in Alberta.

Does anyone know where I can buy a knife manufacturer that make "scale" knives
that are about 60% of the size of the actual knife?

I feel that they would be handy for some of the photos that I am forced to take of some of my friends
smaller catches. Lately they have been leaning towards buying expensive sports cars, and I am concerned they will have less time
and resources to spend fishing.

Help....?

It's because of the demand in China for our fresh Dungeness crabs. They're selling for 80 bucks a pound over there. It's causing the crabbers to fish all sorts of areas they would skip in the past. Each little bay is now worth $1000 per pull for them. The government wants this to happen of course. Resource development. Export. Tax revenue. But at some point it goes too far, the resource collapses for ten years, and eventually it comes back and we repeat our mistakes again. I think the best person to call would be the person at DFO who manages the crab fishery. Tell them you no longer catch crabs due to the over harvest. It's worth a try. If enough people do it.

Perhaps i should 3d print some at work @30%
??

Got my first skunking of the season..glad i havent lost my touch;)

Ok more crab talk..buddy at the dock informed me that they migrate from san fran to alaska.
I laughed a little

Ok more crab talk..buddy at the dock informed me that they migrate from san fran to alaska.
I laughed a little
I wouldn't know how far crabs migrate...but it's not all on the ocean floor.
Commercial netters have told me they have caught crabs in mid water swimming...yes swimming.
So who's to say how far they go.
There will be someone more knowledgeable than I on this subject who can give us more info I am sure.

The Canadian Fisheries dept was at the Seattle Boat Show. I complained to them about the raping of the crab in the bay at Port Renfrew. They said they are trying to come up with a commercial season that starts Sept 1st up there to let the fisherman have some crab during the summer prime months. They had no comment on how successful they thought they would be in securing this.

Victoria water front today, SEALS took 4 and I got 1. Fish all around that 5-7lb size. Moved over to Albert Head but Lots of tinies so I left.

Managed one today 47 lbs, fished 8 till 12 out of oak bay toward victoria, one dog shark, a lit bumpy but hung in there
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria water front today, SEALS took 4 and I got 1. Fish all around that 5-7lb size. Moved over to Albert Head but Lots of tinies so I left.

Bring a bucket of gravel from your driveway and a slingshot. You'll likely never hit one, but you can get pretty close, and it really freaks them out. They actually **** right off. It's the only legal thing I've found to keep the seals away. Four salmon to the seals, man that sucks.

Was out yesterday for a few hours. Not a lot of salmon action. Couple of good hits, boated maybe three little guys that went back to grow. Couldn't believe how nice the weather was, warm, almost no rain, hardly any wind...even some sun. Should have ran to constance. Anyway worked from Esquimalt to Albert head, then across the water front.

One more thing, just let me say how awesome Esquimalt anglers is. I appreciate the ramp, dock and cleaning station so much...not to mention how nice the guys are up there having coffee.

DVL is right about the weather on Sunday! What a pleasant surprise it was!

Sat - Out in the morning for a hali skunking with a buddy...unless you count HUGE dogfish.

Sunday - on the water 12-4pm. Dropped the crab trap and trolled a pass with a single rod down from Macauley to Flagpole. 3 fish on...lost a heavy, a light one and released a barely legal. Pulled the gear and ran out a bit and had a hali (15lb chicken) in the boat within 40min with the current still ripping! It was only 2pm and went back in to give the salmon another go and this time had much of the same but better luck getting them to the boat. 1 pass, Flagpole to Macauley: Released 2 and kept a 6-7lb. All salmon on bottom on a sandlance spoon behind a 7" Peetz flasher (a little something that I have had the pleasure to help develop). I saw seals, but none saw the action I guess or were full.

All in all a good 4 hours spent with my little guy and he was quite proud to show his mom.

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 11.04.53 AM.jpg

Fished 9 to 12. 7 to the boat 3 keepers. 191' on the rigger betsy white glow flasher, 3.5 green glow splattered spoon one side green spackle back hoochie on the other. Bigger of the fish liked the hoochie best....madi flasher on the other side 1.8 knots... Flemming to Brootchie ledge.

Fished saturday early morning to 1pm, fished in tight around water front, and esquimalt anglers area. 5 to the boat 3 keepers 2 tiny guys went back. Rough on the weather; nothing but rain rain rain and then wind around 12-1pm plus side the sun did burn throughish around 11am. All in all pretty happy with 3 keepers weighed them at the dock and came in around 8-10lbs a piece. Surprisingly fished in close around 90-140 feet of water all hits around 75 on the downrigger speed over water was fast too probably anywhere from 6-9kph. Orange and gold flasher with green white red striped 4 inch spoon, and a lemon green onion flasher with a coho killer army truck color worked. One hit on a 4 inch black and white spoon but it wasn't to be took one run and shook it off. Gonna need to learn how to halibut fish next, from the xmas gifts from family I think they were hinting they're tired of salmon :p tight lines all

Back