Victoria Reports 2015

Following a slow start to the morning....I took my favorite fishing partner out for the afternoon (1-4pm) on the waterfront. What a start to the year! Jasper was bundled up but I had only a sweatshirt on the whole time. We only ran one rod and mostly 160-180' and right on bottom, sandlance spoons and mini flashers. 6 to the boat and mostly small. No seal problems! We did bring a nice 7-8lb home. Great first day of the year in my books!

Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 9.42.09 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-01-02 at 9.40.43 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-01-02 at 9.40.28 AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start. I had a go at winter springs yesterday off Esquimalt. Two little guys released in 4 hours of raking bottom.
Both fish caught on Andrew's sandlance spoon.
Found some bait here and there but other than the two little guys, I couldn't scratch up a keeper.

Maybe somebody else did better.

Was nice to get out on the water, I had cabin fever.

We fed the seal a small one, nothing in the tub though.
the weekend before was much better, sandlance spoon was working good.

...when you first don't succeed...try again with bait ;)

Fished Sunday 8 til 1200 Whirl Bay to Brochie ledge only a handful of bites tried everything in the arsenal wasn't one of the lucky few who took home fish...

That's a long one way troll from Whirl Bay to Brochie Ledge? We fished Whirl bay on Saturday, LOTS of fish there. White hootchie and spoons at 150-175 on rigger. Spoons were best, very few smalls . Big Fleet and It seemed everyone there had fish. Our fish were 8-12lb. Most guy worked middle of whirl bay to church rock.

Got impatient and moved.... Should have stuck it out! Congrats on the fish!

Ya it's always a tough call, my buddy was there Friday, fish were much bigger. We only went there on Sat because of him. Bite started around 9:30 lasted until the flood current kicked in big. Fished bank Friday and we only got 1 and had 4 tinies. Always next wknd! Lol

No mention of the 20 something that came in out of Esquimalt On Saturday?

Guy at the dock had an awesome fish in his boat. We found it slow and only took a 8er home with no seals. Noticed the crowd admiring his huge spring...seriously, would have been a beautiful summer fish. Apparently spooled him twice too!

So great day on the water, if slow...awesome day to see a fish of that size to keep my dreams alive through the winter!

That spring weighed in at 24 at Island Outfitters - surprisingly they never mentioned it in their fishing report

Three keepers from this afternoon off the flats.all on sitka spoons.snuffy must have been day dreaming,as he didn't steal me dinner after following us most of the day.

That spring weighed in at 24 at Island Outfitters - surprisingly they never mentioned it in their fishing report

It was weighed in after the fishing report had been written and posted. Besides, the fishing report is for the period ending the day before. It'll be in next week's report.

Christened the new cutting table at obm with another couple fine fish off the flats.couldn't ask for better conditions out there lately.

Back