Aluminum mooching reels...if not Islander?

Hey guys. I haven't heard anyone mention Daiwa Mooching reels. I have been running my M-One Plus reels for a year with no problems. This was my first year using mooching reels in WA state so I really haven't put them to the test. But after reading some reviews about the Daiwa drag I called up Smoooth drag (based out of CA, $8 for a set) and ordered replacement drag washers for all of my Daiwa mooching reels. I haven't replaced any of the drag washers yet because I haven't had much of an issue with line creep on the standard stock washers. When I do have creeping line I just snug the drag down little by little until it stops. I will admit that the excitement of a fish on the line makes me forget about my drag almost all the time, but I get "subtle" reminders to back the drag off when the fish takes a run and the rod almost flies out of my hands. :)

The Daiwa reels seem to have almost the exact same specs as the Shimanos (correct me if I'm wrong). I also couldn't say no to the closeout price for the M-One Plus models. I got them from a shop in Bellingham, WA for about $55 each. I picked up all four they had in stock. My little lady definitely gave me the "Why are you buying FOUR of the same reel!?!?!" look. :)

I personally never came to like their drag knobs feel or handles plus the constant spinning of the drag knob. Many M-Ones ended up in the garbage here over the years. Ones people gave me cause they hated them

I personally never came to like their drag knobs feel or handles plus the constant spinning of the drag knob. Many M-Ones ended up in the garbage here over the years. Ones people gave me cause they hated them

I do have to say the spinning knob is annoying! I found I dont have to deal with the spinning knob if I use the free spool feature VS drag adjustment to let line down with the downrigger. But I agree, the knob spin is a pain in the butt. But my Daiwas seem to be holding up will with little maintenance. I'll keep you all posted.

Boy, you must really be old if you remember that, Percy. :D
Yaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh .................................. Hmmmmmmm I am pretty sure that Fishing never meant saving money. If you want to save money, buy them commercially at the docks. :) Fishing used to mean an opportunity for a little solitude and peace in our lives, and that is still possible because of the amazing place we live. :cool:

Apologies for the thread hi-jack......................

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to evaluate again on developing a non islander copy again after this conversation... Thanks for some of this input...If we come up with something let you guys know... If we do it wont be the present drag system the way it is... And will look nothing like what we have now..Something totally different that no one has done before.... Still need to look closer at it if it is doable...

OK,

This reel thing in crazy. I started with shimanos. They were great...when you first get rolling, not much in the way of line creep, but like using a hammer at all times. No finesse.

Used a couple of trophys and once I figured out the drag I realized how much better life was. Had to get a pair of amundsons, and have not looked back. I lose less fish and I love the drag system, well tuned this reel is soooooo mush better than the shimano....a scalpel compared to a hammer.

Does it have line creep...sure if I don't tighten down the drag. Does it have a realease lever..well no, but even when I did have it, I never used it.

Love the bling factor too. Kind of like having a nice watch, or a cool looking boat.

IMHO. I'd check out the reels made for wise Butkus in Colwood.

Sent from my iPhone

They are the same price as an Islander. Unless they are way better, it makes more sense to stick with a well known brand. Who knows how long parts and service will be available for that small batch reel.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Going to evaluate again on developing a non islander copy again after this conversation... Thanks for some of this input...If we come up with something let you guys know... If we do it wont be the present drag system the way it is... And will look nothing like what we have now..Something totally different that no one has done before.... Still need to look closer at it if it is doable...

I will be your first customer! I have faith!

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Have had Daiwas and Shimanos over the years but always wanted Islanders, a fine BC company.
After blowing the wad on the new boat, how could I not justify the cost?
I took the plunge.
They will last a lifetime, and I have many more years to fish.
I even had my name laser etched in the finish so no confusion whose they be.

The smooth powerful cork drag and a 30lb plus Chinook on the end of the line is an amazing feeling.
Love them.

I bought a couple of m-1 plus's a number of years ago. Both seemed to have factory deficiencies. Mike Flynn at Country Rod Crafting fixed them up for me and I have been happy with them ever since. Pretty nice inexpensive low maintenance reel now.

Reels

Hi All
well how could i just sit on the side lines and let you guys have all the fun so
here is a tease
black or blue......... yes lots of hard work and a bit of time
big thanks to F.A. for getting me the 3rd MR3 just in time for x-mas

now which one's to use tomorrow

oh and they all work well just my opinion
but if there was one perfect reel we all would be using it ......lol

IMAG0044.jpgIMAG0017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All
well how could i just sit on the side lines and let you guys have all the fun so
here is a tease

View attachment 15115View attachment 15114

nice looking rigs. I'm curious about those cones in front of the bead chains. Where'd you get them? I'm assuming they work well for preventing line twist from a weedy swivel. Also, is the hi vis on the end of the rods your creation? Is it just for helping see the rod tip better?

Dave, I know it's not the same item as Wildthing but I put a clear #10 bead that same spot it protects the top eye from having some idiot try to put the swivel thru busting it out. It a safety item for me.

golf tee bead or use a gummy plug
as stated by
F.A." stop's one from trying to wind a flasher through the guides".....lol

also when setting up gives a bit of drag so can pull enough line out to put the flashers or leaders on
as well as a visual indicator

rod tips where done by Amundson there like that

Hi All
here is a tease

View attachment 15115View attachment 15114

Someone pulled a fast one on you and put all your reels on backwards…………..:p

(Someone pulled a fast one on you and put all your reels on backwards………….).

Haha , was thinking the same thing..

we wont go there....lol
its the way i wind'em

strong arm = rod arm but i can wind both ways
its you guys following the US
even cars should be driven on the left meaning right hand drive ....lol

Wait...what?

So you mean to say you reel them up clockwise with your left hand?

Boggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back