Bringing Boat up from US

demco99

Hi guys - wondering if anyone has any tips on this? I have done a search but most threads seem to be about trailering boats up across the border. This boat I'm looking at is in the water in Seattle so I would be running it up through Puget Sound, past the San Juans and into Vancouver. Any advice is much appreciated..

I used a customs broker when bringing up a 28 pursuit on a trailer. The broker was money well spent. I used PCB - pacific customs brokers. Get in touch with them a week or so before and they will help you get all the paperwork in order.

Hi guys - wondering if anyone has any tips on this? I have done a search but most threads seem to be about trailering boats up across the border. This boat I'm looking at is in the water in Seattle so I would be running it up through Puget Sound, past the San Juans and into Vancouver. Any advice is much appreciated..

Use a customs broker and ensure all your paper work is in order. Run the boat to Port Sydney Marina and call Canada Customs from the Customs dock. They will instruct you on what to do at that point. They will come down to the boat and check paper work and clear you and the boat there.

Customs broker is only $500 or so, money well spent as the import process can be a pain doing it your self.

Make sure the boat has nothing "bad" stored on board!!

Good luck

What I did was stop in at the local customs office and asked them. The officer there told me everything I needed to know and do. It sounded a bit complicated at first but it really was a piece of cake thanks to the directions I got. Could depend on the particular officer I suppose, but the one I talked to was very helpful.

Demco.....there is a really good guy based out of Anacortes. I know a few people who have gone through him and said he was outstanding.

I'll find his info and email to you later.

I have brought boats up from the states by land never water. It was easy. 5 mins at the border, most of the time they just want there taxes. Not really worried about anything else. Make sure you have a copy of the listing, and have a sales agreement filled out. Put everything on the sales agreement like downriggers, rods, gps and anything else that comes with the boat. When bring a boat over the border you always have to come threw the truck crossing. Since you are coming by water I would phone the Canadian side of the truck crossing and ask them for advice. I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions.

Make sure if you're bringing up a US registered trailer you've applied for the Washingston temp permit if you plan to drive it up to the border, and, that you've gone to your ICBC broker in advance to get an insurance binder for the trailer. You'll need the title/registration in order to do that for the ICBC part. The Washington State temp permit is pretty liberal and I think there you just need to provide details of the trailer, their permit allows you I think a day to operate on the road, but, the permit is usuable over a 30 day period approx. The ICBC binder takes you only to one point in BC. Canada Customs although not responsible to enforce this will look/ask if you have the binder.

We bought our 38 footer in Anacortes.
We used a local broker recommended by Banana Belt Boats.
We had the paperwork with us when we left Anacortes and stopped at the Sydney customs dock to phone in.
They said they were too busy to attend at the dock, so they suggested we just carry on with our cruise home to Nanaimo and then check in with the customs office in downtown Nanaimo within 48 hours of our arrival.
We did that and the process at the customs office took about 10 minutes.
Give them a cheque for the taxes and they are happy

I can perhaps understand why you might want to use a broker to handle the sales transaction but can't figure out why you'd need the broker to handle anything to do with the customs transaction. When I brought my boat across the border all the customs folks wanted to see were the bills of sale (separate for the trailer and the boat) and something that showed that the price I paid was "reasonable". I had the craigslist ad that the PO had posted. Even though the amount I declared (which was what I had paid) was less than the PO had asked in the ad - it was a reasonable difference. I can't see why bringing the boat across the border by sea rather than by land would require anything different that a broker could assist with. In other words, why pay a broker to do something you can do easily yourself.

touché...why pay a broker to do something you can do easily yourself

Nick, if you havent already get it surveyed, I have a guy here that will travel down to do it, very resonable priced too
and is accredited

Usually when you import a boat the importation paperwork at the border is all about the trailer, which is considered a motor vehicle. The boat itself is just general merchandise, show your
receipt, and pay the tax, simple.

Since you don't have a trailer, it couldn't be easier, just keep all receipts, and the advertisements that attracted you to the boat, and declare it, no broker needed.

I agree,there is no need to involve a broker for bringing a boat or car across the border. The U.S. Guys aren't involved with boat importation , it's as simple as showing up at Canada Customs ,proving what you paid and paying the tax. Cars are only slightly more complex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick
email tony@boatsurvey.ca
or www.boatsurvey.ca I have his number somewhere too but its usually quick to email.
great guy he has done my last 2 for me, and he will travel south if you need,
I had a look, nice looking boat. seems a fair price too I think

"Seizing suspected drug money has been legal here for decades, but after 9/11 police acquired a whole new set of powers and justifications."

That's insane so they paint broad brush for everyone as a scheme to rip people out of cash. So if your carrying large amounts of cash your a terrorist or drug dealer. 2.5 billion in revenue! Thanks for posting no idea...

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop at the Canadian Border and get their exit form when you leave Canada as required tell the US border folks you have the cash on you,don't make them ask!Have all your documents and emails from the seller with you. They count it and you're off to the races, if you have no corroborating documents,pictures and bank withdrawal statements. They look at you funny. Do your homework and have proof of everything. Not an issue. Took $18,000 cash across for an RV recently, no big deal.just took a while for the US guys because they couldn't count well at 4 a.m. LOL..
I can see why done people would sweat a bit, but if you have proof of everything it's generally fine.

I took a copy of the ad with me when I brought it back since it was waaaay cheaper than here. They seemed to like it and didn't question the price.

Back