Christmas Gathering Comox Valley 2014

Yes, Yes and Yes. Thanks Owen and Laura. Great food and company. Nice to see the folks up from Nanaimo. Owen, you're a master at smoking fish and cheese and the pickled varieties were great as well. And then there was the sausages and pepperonis....no dinner for me tonight!
Good luck with your surgery on Monday, Owen. If you need help with anything after - just call!

A big thank you to the hosts for a great get together at this time of the year. I had a really nice time and it was great meeting a few new people and seeing some old friends. The food was outstanding as always. Have to try doing up some of the famous pickled fish soon, especially the halibut! All the goodies that everyone brought were fantastic. No dinner for me either lol!

Hey, thanks for attending and bringing such awesome treats guys. There was so much left over food we had to call on some friends and neighbors to come pick up.

Man I am stuffed....... No dinner being made tonight

Thanks Owen again was a good time... I still haven't eaten anything either tonight since.... That vodka B52 brought over was awesome....

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you survived shopping at the North end of Nanaimo lol! (you poor *******) :p:D.

You know what I walked in and walked out in like 20 minutes. It was a gong show....!! I think I am going to wait for a quiet morning to do Xmas shopping what a absolute zoo... I should have had more shots of vodka:p

g
Got all mine done tonight after the SFAB meeting..all the crowds were gone to watch the nucks...ouche.. :(

Thanks to Laura and Owen for the great get together. Food was great as was all the company.
Good luck tomorrow Owen and thanks for the recipes.

I'm doing up some pickled salmon and was wondering what the thoughts were on the pickled halibut that Owen did up?.....

I'm doing up some pickled salmon and was wondering what the thoughts were on the pickled halibut that Owen did up?.....

I liked it the best out of the three. The others were salmon and tuna (both were excellent as well). I'm going to do up a batch tonight using the IPHA site recipe that Owen posted up in the pickling thread :).

I used the salmon recipe on the halibut you ate at my house. Just salted all day washed, dried then cubed and layered in onions and covered in the vinegar, sugar and spice brine from the salmon recipe.

There are some recipes online using red wine, they looked interesting.

I used the salmon recipe on the halibut you ate at my house. Just salted all day washed, dried then cubed and layered in onions and covered in the vinegar, sugar and spice brine from the salmon recipe.

There are some recipes online using red wine, they looked interesting.

I'm going to try both recipes and compare them. The other recipe has white wine in it which should give it a different flavour. I'm doing up some salmon using the salmon recipe. There is a company up in Alaska that sells pickled ling cod so I'm going to try a small batch of that too :).

(Sorry for the hijack. Moved to the pickling thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back