chum and their tales

Fish Camp

I was on the puntlage bridge and viewed chum grabbing onto other chums wrist before the tail ,they would hold on tight and shake,taking both fish out of the eddy and downstream.could be why we call them dogs?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's why I've always called them dogs.

Them huge teeth they develop in the river and the way they attack each other. I know many fisherman that have had to get stiches after poorly releasing a spawner chum.

Not sure if that's tongue in cheek-- maybe you know in the Alaskan bush where Purina isn't on the menu they stack them up in the back yard like cord wood and they become dog food for the rest of the winter, hence the name

On redds the bucks do some pretty fancy spawning displays---one of them you mentioned. Then there's the "T" formation where competing bucks will broadside each other like pissed off rhinos. They spend so much time fussing in the gravel before finally getting it on, it's no wonder they look 10 miles of bad road once it's all finally over...

The chosen fish for free range farming in Alaska.Chum are harvested early summer on island shores northwest of the boarder.i was cut by a chum, pulling a floated purple white hand tied intruder. Every fish in the tongue .

Last edited by a moderator:
Got bit today releasing a big buck that took my colorado spinner deep.Bled like a stuck pig.******* got me pretty good.
Next time that happens I'm just gonna cut the leader and let him have it.I't's not worth the 0.70 cents to stick my hand
those chompers again!

Back