Sand Lance Spoon Vs. Nog's Needle

crab bait

Someone needs to ask this. Has anyone fished them both? Side by side? Better or worse?

I realize both of the makers are well respected forum members and contribute a bunch to this site, (Thank-you for that, you are appreciated)
But...... any other lure will draw comparisons, comments and value for the $$. Every other hootchie, plug, rod, reel etc has been kicked around bashed, and favorites stated.

Both have gotten good reviews. Has anyone fished both (and are you up to stating your preference)?

Like all you guys, I have a couple or three rods out there and want the best lure possible on the line (not just better, but the best).

IMO, your question depends on so many variables it's almost pointless to ask. Two very different spoons.

If the needlefish really small - coho killer,
medium size - sitka,
xl - Nog

Or just use anchovy to cover all the bases :confused:

Well said Ham.

Now, just need to figure out what size needlefish they are feeding on for any given day, and then match the hatch!

Keep in mind that some areas will have feed that is predominantly one size, due to the characteristics of that location.

MMMM. two needle fish immitations, similiar lures, color, cost, etc.......... but almost pointless to ask?

We can do "coyote" vs other spoons, every brand of hootchie on the planet, even different styles of hook, I guess just not these two?

I've been waiting for this!! Someone has got to have tried!

I have a Nog and as mentioned, they are very very different spoons. I didn't think that until I actually had both in my hand. I agree that each will win out in different situations. The size is the major difference but also how they move through the water.

Both killers in my biased opinion and happy to have a Nog in my arsenal!

AP

All my enthusiasm about these spoons comes from the size being larger than coho killers which was basically all that has been available until now. I think maybe color(selection) and availability may be an important factor to the question at hand.

I tried them Both. for me for spring fishing speed is the factor the nog one was too slow for me personally once I trolled faster it worked better. and did get fish. Unfortunately in sooke alot of our bait is small 3 to 4 inch herring and tiny needle fish. both killers in my mind though I have a buddy I sent him both types and fishes malcom and he found the Nog worked the best there 2 different areas similar results....

Yep, gotta match the hatch

Not sure I would enjoy this sport if there was a one size fits all lure…….

Ah, but the Nog worked on Coho today in Sooke...... but so did everything else!!! No accurate comparison was made. This winter I will do a side by side comparison as I feel that's when either spoon will be at it's best.

I will release the findings to the respective manufacturers along with a marketing strategy and a consultant's invoice....

I believe each spoon is designed to be fished differently. They are quite different in size and weight, so a side by side comparison is not really effective. Speed would be the biggest difference in how you fish each of these. I'm a believer in running gears on both sides that fish well at the same speed. I'd never throw out a 6" coyote and an anchovy at the same time, would you crab bait?

Buy each spoon and try them both, then decide for yourself which you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
As many have said, these two lures are far from apple's to apple's similar. If there is one similarity, it is that both lures are designed, manufactured, assembled, and packaged right here in BC. Beyond that the size, shape, colors and action are entirely unique to each lure.

I recently attended the SFBC Derby wrap up and jumped at the chance to add two of AndrewP's Sandlance spoons to my tacklebox. It is NO Coho Killer. It has muscle! I'm looking forward to the future colour patterns coming with the Sandlance and fishing the 24k and stainless steel models I won at the wrap up.

[Shameless plug] We will as well be releasing new colours of the Iron Needle by the end of October.

Nick

{stuff clipped} If there is one similarity, it is that both lures are designed, manufactured, assembled, and packaged right here in BC. {more stuff clipped}
Nick

And you can tell that both are made in BC because:
1) The both work and
2) Both vendors are polite to each other in this thread.

If these were American made, there'd probably be tons of trash talking, unfair comparisons and statements etc. :)

One of the reasons I love SFBC is that most people here are smart and considerate of others.

I haven't seen a Nog's Needle in person yet.I know they are larger than the Sand Lance Spoons which I have. Our Sand Lance / Needlefish where I fish in the winter aren't real big like they are off the WCVI. Do you think the Nog's Needle would be a good winter feeder spoon? Coho Killers work good here so I know the Sand Lance Spoon will be a killer but would like to use the Nogs Needle's too if they would be productive. What are your thoughts?

I had the opportunity to fish some of Nog's Needles this summer off WCVI, and they performed pretty darn well, catching both Springs and Silvers. Fishing for us was poor compared to the last couple of years, but the Needles caught fish just as well as the Cut Plug herring we usually use, so I considered that a win. For winter fishing down here in the San Juan's, I wanted a smaller needlefish spoon, than Nog's, but larger and more robust that Coho Killers, so a buddy and I went halves on a 18 spoon order of the Sitka needlefish spoons. When they showed up I gave them a little personal color and tried them out. Fished my favorite Coho Killer spoon on one side, and the dolled-up Sitka on the other. The Sitka picked up 2 fish, and the Coho 1 fish. Not nearly enough water time yet to prove anything conclusive, but certainly looks promising! Props to both Nog and Sitka for producing quality products that catch fish, not just fishermen!

Back