browns bay chum derby

Slow, very slow. Caught 1 and had a few other hits. Spent most of the day watching the coast guard helicopter and zodiacs look for the missing people in the sunken boat.

Slow, very slow. Caught 1 and had a few other hits. Spent most of the day watching the coast guard helicopter and zodiacs look for the missing people in the sunken boat.

How did it go with your hands tied LOL?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reporting in. Rain, wind, beer, music, laughs and a few fish. We had 3 Sat and 4 today, lost a few. Could only fish with the wind and there was lots of us struggling to stay out of each others way. Nice groups to fish around. Winning fish 16 lbs and only 200 weighed in. Thanks to the organizers for a great weekend, chums in the brine.... we will return.

No pics?

CHUMFEST2007.jpg

Felt like that on Saturday morning:) Cell phone died hunting for service Friday night so pictures did not occur in our boat. Am looking for someone to post a picture of the guy who put his boat over the edge on the road coming in Friday night. No major damage but we all got to drive by.

I know the guy that almost lost his boat in the ditch. No damage other that a tow bill. It looked worse than it was.

Anybody know the guy that won a MHX mooching rod at the Browns bay chum derby, my dad won the same rod with a MR3 reel but when we got home the rod has a different tip. The butt section on my dad's rod has silver thread wrapped at the eye's and the top section has blue thread. If anybody know's this guy/gal please PM me.
Thanks

Hey guys my son and I are thinking about going to the derby, what is the best way to fish for chum? Long or short leaders? Fast or slow?
Thanks guys hope to see ya there

There has been a thread on here every year about the chum derby. Plenty of info there about speed, colour, depth, dummies, how many rods, etc... Use the search function. Is your son drinking age?

we use the half purple/pink squirts sometimes with a spin/glow on top medium length leaders and slow troll if your flashers going full circle your going too fast - but when theyre on the bite they'll hit anything

There has been a thread on here every year about the chum derby. Plenty of info there about speed, colour, depth, dummies, how many rods, etc... Use the search function. Is your son drinking age?
He is 12, might be to young for this event???

There are lots of surprisingly young kids that come to that event. I'm not sure how many of them camp at Browns Bay due to the noise and late nights but it could be possible if you have the right set up.

Back