Pender Bluffs

Great pic there kaelc! Not my boat but I'm sure that guy would like to get his hands on the photo. Good to hear the coho action has been steady and Pender Bluffs. I won't be able to get out there for another 2 weeks unfort. Does anyone have a good idea when the action is expected to die off?

Last year we hit fish on the first weekend in November off the bluffs - quite a bit of action. That being said, things do change and there has been a lot of rain this past week :)

gotta think with all this rain anything milling about made a b-line for their rivers -- heard last week was very good though.

Fished off fairfax the other day and had decent action, including a nice 10 lb spring that we boxed. A few small shakers as well that were let go. Was going to fish pender bluffs as well but didn't have time.

So for my first post... thought I would ask if there is any place along or near the bluffs where it's worthwhile setting a couple of prawn traps. I'm a former flatlander who is relatively new to salt water fishing. I've been spending some time burning fuel around Pender Island in search of salmon. Caught a few fish there and hope to be back to the bluffs in May. Any advice would be appreciated.

The commercial guys set right in front of the bluffs during the Spring. They are usually about 300 - 400 yards offshore when they set. I have tried with not much success. Be aware of some real strong tides off the bluffs so use lots of weight in your trap.

The commercial guys set right in front of the bluffs during the Spring. They are usually about 300 - 400 yards offshore when they set. I have tried with not much success. Be aware of some real strong tides off the bluffs so use lots of weight in your trap.

Thanks.
I'll have to figure out how much weight to use.... and what the best bait is. I have 2 folding traps that were given to me by a local commercial guy. They got wound up in his gear because they weren't set with enough weight!
I'm going to head to the boat show this week and see what sort of deal I can get on a pot puller. If I'm paying $500 a pound for salmon, why not get some prawns too....

Have been out the last 2 days for short scouts ,not marking any bait , no birds ,no seals, pretty quiet. Fairfax was quiet as well.

Going to be out that way this weekend and if the stars align will give the bluffs a try for my first time.

Nice on Vancouver side. Nasty on thrasher side. Bow dips while trolling. But still fishable. No fish yet :)

Going to be out that way this weekend and if the stars align will give the bluffs a try for my first time.

Didn't get the chance to fish the bluffs this weekend. However, hiked to the top and got a photo of someone who did fish it :)

20150517_152759.jpg

Not sure you missed out on much, other than being on the water which is always nice.
Spent the weekend on Saltspring with the Family and managed to fish Sat and Sun afternoon for a few hours.
Not even a nibble.
Did see a Grey whale and some Orca's on Sunday, you can never get tired of that.

Out today between 11 and 2 ,marked some bait,but no bites. Had the traps down for soak took home a 1/2 bucket of prawns. Hopefully they start showing up soon as last week has been pretty slow.

First time out this year on Sunday morning and picked up a 13 lb. white in the first hour 8:00AM . 110 ft. on the rigger,running a 4.0 coyote naked. Happy camper....:cool:

Back