Newbee - UK Angler - Visiting the Island for month September

AnglingMad

Hi All,

I guess you may have a few threads like this posted but any knowledge/help you could share is very welcome. I am newly retired and very keen to catch my first Pacific Salmon, Halibut and Sturgeon but I know I may not hit all 3 in the one trip. My main hobby is fly fishing but I also love Deep Sea and lure fishing. It is always difficult to get boats trips fixed up as an individual but managed to get one out of Sooke so far. My wife and I are staying Chermainus as a base and from my limited research so far fishing may not be that good around there at this time and some of the rivers maybe closed albeit there is some trout fishing in the lakes. I am willing to travel to get good sport and from my limited research to date I am thinking of taking a couple of days in Ucuelet and up in the Comox area but any feedback I get on where to focus, who with and whether I always need a guide would be a big influence on this, particularly as the budget will get stretched.

If you like to fly fish, have you heard of the Nile Creek beach fishery for Pink Salmon just North of Qualicum Beach? It's a lot of fun and although the Pink Salmon is considered a lesser prize for a sport fish by many, these things are a blast on fly gear off the beach and damn good sport.

If you like to fly fish, have you heard of the Nile Creek beach fishery for Pink Salmon just North of Qualicum Beach? It's a lot of fun and although the Pink Salmon is considered a lesser prize for a sport fish by many, these things are a blast on fly gear off the beach and damn good sport.

Thank you for the information it sounds a really great crack. I have had brief look at the Nile Creek website - it looks a good and fairly local spot to try my luck.

Back