Regulations on US residents returning with fish?

I have friends coming up from Ohio and Boston, for a few days of fishing, in August.
They will be going home with fish (either theirs or gifted).

What is required for them to fly back home, with the fish?

[I have searched and read all the threads on:
Out of country licenses - that is covered.
Transporting fish to my Residence - that is covered.
Gifting fish - that is covered.
Transporting fish via long distance flights - that is covered.]

Thanks,

They need their fishing license, abide by possession limits and luggage weight limits. They are not allowed to take smoked salmon, I forget the reason.

It's pretty easy.

They need their fishing license, abide by possession limits and luggage weight limits. They are not allowed to take smoked salmon, I forget the reason.

It's pretty easy.
I have taken smoked salmon to the U.S in my luggage a dozen times; mostly in transit, my bags clear customs & are checked through to my final destination. I declare it on the declaration forum they hand out on the plane. Yes,check the Goverment websites; perhaps also contact St. Jean's cannery/smokehouse , a licenced processor.

http://www.stjeans.com/cad/

I'm remembering now what it was. Our local fish packer/smoker doesn't have an export license, my clients can take the vac pack but not the smoked from him.

I found the text in the booklet put out by fisheries and oceans to be very clear regarding transporting fish. the biggest thing is possession limits and not exceeding them. this is quite different for US anglers who are used to the rules in AK so make sure 'possession' is clearly understood.

The other issue to remember is that airlines do not want ice in the coolers. Make sure the fish is frozen and use duct tape to secure the cooler. Once frozen, the fish will be fine for the flight to the east coast. I've brought fish back from Cabo to Seattle and never had problems going through customs. Just declare the fish when checking in. If your friends are flying out the same day you return from fishing, there may be freezer lockers at the airport to keep them until departure, ask the airline people. US custom never cared about the possession limit and I doubt the Canadian airport people will either.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Will definitely have to follow up with each airline and regs.

I would like to tack on an additional question for clarification. I hope someone on here can assist in helping keep me from running afoul of the law-

In the past, I have come up for a week or so. Mid-way through the trip, 2 new friends would come up island and swap out with 2 of the guys already there. The returning guys would take my fish home with them ( properly labeled with a signed note with my license number, address, phone#, etc ) and I would not catch anymore fish until I got notice that the fish transported for me had reached my primary residence. I have been checked by DFO officer's several times in the past and this was always spot-on correct. Looking the regs over this year in prep for our trip, the Possession for transport reg seem to say that the person taking my fish home can still do so, but it looks like my fish they are transporting count against their possession limit also ( i.e if they had caught a possession limit of Springs, and had two of mine also, they would be considered over the possession limit, even if they had the properly filled out transport note from me. Am I reading this correct?

We bend over backwards to follow the rules, both because we frankly do not want to get fined, and for respect for your fisheries and the sport, and would really appreciate any guidance any of you with access to a DFO resource can offer.

Thanks,
Capt. Red

I would like to tack on an additional question for clarification. I hope someone on here can assist in helping keep me from running afoul of the law-

In the past, I have come up for a week or so. Mid-way through the trip, 2 new friends would come up island and swap out with 2 of the guys already there. The returning guys would take my fish home with them ( properly labeled with a signed note with my license number, address, phone#, etc ) and I would not catch anymore fish until I got notice that the fish transported for me had reached my primary residence. I have been checked by DFO officer's several times in the past and this was always spot-on correct. Looking the regs over this year in prep for our trip, the Possession for transport reg seem to say that the person taking my fish home can still do so, but it looks like my fish they are transporting count against their possession limit also ( i.e if they had caught a possession limit of Springs, and had two of mine also, they would be considered over the possession limit, even if they had the properly filled out transport note from me. Am I reading this correct?

We bend over backwards to follow the rules, both because we frankly do not want to get fined, and for respect for your fisheries and the sport, and would really appreciate any guidance any of you with access to a DFO resource can offer.

Thanks,
Capt. Red

Yes you are correct

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0478
Sent June 13, 2014 at 1110

The British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations state that an individual may
have in their possession only twice the daily retention limit of any and all
species (except halibut, as prescribed by Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence
condition).

These possession limits apply per person regardless of who caught the fish. An
individual may transport another person's fish as long as the total quantity of
any and all species does not exceed an individual possession limit. Possession
limits may not be combined.

An individual transporting another person's sport caught fish must carry a
letter from that person with their signature and Tidal Waters Sport Fishing
Licence number, stating that the individual is authorized to transport the fish.

The letter must state:

The fisher's name

- Complete address and telephone number
- Fishing licence number
- When and where the fish were caught
- The number, species and size of fish
- Name and address of recipient
- Estimated date of arrival
- Reason for transport

The person who asked you to transport recreationally caught fish should also
retain a copy of the letter of authorization.

You are correct Capt. Red. They changed the rules. Your past history of compliance is much appreciated. This year, one idea being discussed on here is to do exactly what you did in past years and hope if your friends were inspected on the way out of town or at the ferry the officer would use discretion. But they would be violating the regulations. Another option is to enjoy your friends' company and our waters, send them on their way with their own limits and hope to get more fish for yourself at the end of your trip

Direct Mule and Tubber,

Thank you both for the information! While I know ignorance is no excuse, sometimes regulations are not written as clearly as a layman would like. I would like to also thank all you BC'ers for sharing your waters with us Yanks. I have had many pleasurable experiences getting to meet and chat with you, and, with only a single exception with a overzealous DFO female officer ( who was reined in by the two more senior male DFO officers onboard), very positive interaction with your enforcement personnel.

Back