sunshine coast gear and area reccomendations?

JuBy

I am headed over to a friends cabin on the sunshine and we wanted to give salmon fishing a go over there I am not particularly familiar with the area so I was wondering if anyone could pass a long general islands/reefs or geographic locations we can try to troll up a spring or coho. What is the normal go to for gear over there, I am an avid fisherman familiar with the Nanaimo area so I have the green glow, irish cream, cop car, gear etc and was hoping that would suffice but is there any spoons or hoochies i should pick up?

Cheers,

Juby

If you are on the inside ,9 mile and Tillicum have been ok at times for me. Kitchen sink and green glow coyotes have done the trick. Bait seems to have moved on so Narrows might be the spot. Not sure about the outside.

ok thanks! should i even bother fishing anchovies at all? what depths do you fish nanaimo is 80-200 ish

Where are you going on the sunshine coast?
Bring anchovies...they are a great standby.
Also, splatterback green hootchie.
No Banannas spoon is working well there too

I will be staying in halfmoon bay my friend has waterfront property there, as to where we will be fishing I dont have the slightest clue. I am much more experienced at salmon fishing my then my friends but don't have the local expertise. My general hopes were for him to take us to the usual places and we would fish bait on one side, then try cookies n creme/splatterback/irish creme gear on the other and hopefully something takes a bite! Any recommendation on areas to go?

Halfmoon Bay! Best spot to be on that part of the coast. North end of Thormanby, go to Epsom point and scour depths from 90'-160'. You should have great fishing!

Any standard gear hou have confidence in.... Green and chartreuse colours.... Coyotes, splatter back hooch, anchovies.

If you want to try something unique go into buccaneer marina and buy live herring. Head out to Epsom and anchor in 120' and fish 2 hours either side of a tide change. Drop to bottom and reel up 10 to 30 times.... And wait. Very fun way to fish!!! Potentially the only place on the coast still selling live bait!

Bring anchovie and small to medium herring fishing has been good any where from 85'- 160' on the rigger and up higher for coho. Epsons point, Point Upwood, young point, Sangster and the shoals all have been good.

sure thing! thanks for all the advice ill report in when i get back after the weekend hopefully i have a photo or two to share

Back