Campbell River Reports 2014

Thanks for the report Gong Show. If you don't mind sharing, how do you set your dummy flashers up? Something I've never tried but would like to. Also do you run single or tandem hooks on your hootchies?

Thanks

BL

Run the dummies straight from the downrigger balls. 3 - 4 feet of heavy test to a clip and then to flasher.
Bottom rigger clip 2 -3 feet above the ball.
I use two black 5/0 on the big pink hootchies.

Bruce
i run a dummy spin flasher right on my DR ball. and then a standard hotspot clipped to the line 5 feet up, with 6-8 ft of line to the clip. i have been out every day this week and found the small squirt hootchies have out fished everything else for sox. the large pink hootchies seem to attract more pinks. and i tie them with 1 5/0 black gamagatsu. i find i have a better landing average with one large single hook.
gorilla boy

Bruce
i run a dummy spin flasher right on my DR ball. and then a standard hotspot clipped to the line 5 feet up, with 6-8 ft of line to the clip. i have been out every day this week and found the small squirt hootchies have out fished everything else for sox. the large pink hootchies seem to attract more pinks. and i tie them with 1 5/0 black gamagatsu. i find i have a better landing average with one large single hook.
gorilla boy

Do you adjust the line length so that the flashers are stacked or is one behind the other since the down rigger cable is at some angle

Thanks for the set-up tips Gong Show and gorillaboy. Will put them to use in about 10 days when I can get up to BB. Hope the Sox are still thick then!

Cheers

BL

i stack the flashers to simulate a school of sox, i run 2 dummy flashers and 2 lines with flashers and hooks. the purple haze and the blue and green multi colour flashers out fished green and red by far.

My buddy fishing outta Campbell just sent me this pic..what a jerk.. but good for him, and no he is not in the SFBC derby...IMG_5067[1].jpg don't know where abouts how deep n on what ... but 43 lbs

WOW! NICE FISH!
I believe that would be the tyee marine derby leader if he weighs that one in today.

Green can had springs hitting just at sun down last night, 200ft on rigger. two man limit of sockeye in two hours this morning at browns bay.

Went fishing at Deep Water Bay today. Got there at Noon and missed the bite. Had a short bite around 4, had four hits and landed two. Otherwise not a sniff all day.

Those Fraser-bound sox are a riot on a 4" Peetz!
They fight way harder than the PA ones.

Holy snap the wind was ugly today.

Abit late on this update, fished Sat afternoon for a few hrs, caught 1. Fished early Sun morning, banged our limit (4 man) in no time. Depth 50-7-ft. Micheal baits sized seems better than squirts, traditional colors all working. Talked to a friend who fished early Sat morning and said bite was on also......died around 10am. Quality of fish was outstanding, good avg size and fat in the belly........might actually go back and I live in Alberni. Also heard from a source, fish are still very thick in McNeil.

I just travelled on the water down from Hardy to Campbell River. There are fish jumping everywhere! Also saw about 30 Orcas and more commercial fishing boats than I've ever seen before in my life. Seiners, trollers and gill netters..

Guys, I would like your help here.

I have friends arriving on September 15 for 3 days. Would like to take them fishing during that time around Campbell River or Courtenay. Where would you suggest would be our best bet for catching salmon in mid-September? I think it is too early for chum, might be a little late for sockeye, probably still have coho around and springs ??? Would Browns's Bay/Green Sea give us our best shot at success, and if so, what species would we target ?

Back