Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Just got back tonight. Long day. Fished Bajo yesterday finally made it out at 1230 mid day. Had to navigate out in light fog, but, vis was reasonable. We made it to the South side of the outer reef and dropped in our lines. Within 5 minutes had a 20 on. Over the next 3 hours we caught 4 Springs and lost a hog we fought for 20 minutes. All on anchovy 44 feet usually. We would have stayed out longer, but wind picked up and we had to make a fast exit. This morning we dropped the lines for an hour in the "back yard" next to Critter and got a nice silver 12 lb Spring. We didn't have a lot of luck inside, so, maybe this was a sign they're moving inside. Fog kind of made fishing off shore an issue a few days, but, when we got out there the action was non-stop.

The fog & now the wind is keeping the fishing mainly inside BUT, that's a good thing because the Chinook have moved inshore BIG TIME.
In Nootka Good reports from the lighthouse all the way to Cootpe Pt on Springs is excellent. Coho not so much YET.
Esperanza Inlet is plugged with Chinook form Mozino Pt to Steamer Pt. Lots of Coho in the rocks on the south side of Catala Is. & at Twin Is. Ferrer Pt is still HOT on all flood tides. The results are worth the trip over there.
Lots of 23- 28lb fish around both in Nootka & Esperanza - Suspect they are mainly Conuma Fish. The odd low 30lb weighed in every day.
Largest Fish weighed in to date. Coho 10 lb., Spring 45.5 lb, Sockeye 5lb, Rock Cod 14lb, Ling Cod 50.5 lb. caught yesterday!!!

Yep! got the picture of the Monster Ling.

Sorry about the miscue on the sockeye. My fault really. We have over 30 employes here at the Marina.. Lots of university students some from back east. For some of them ID of fish species is not their strong suit. But It's My OOPS for just pulling the info. off the posting board without questioning it.

Here is the ling:
100_1977.jpg

FOJ and everyone else, thanks for all the reports they sure help get us pumped for heading out there! We're trying to get up to that area this weekend. Do you have any tips on where on the inside has the best potential to produce right now and what to use? The previous times that we've been out to Nootka we've been lucky enough to spend most of our time fishing the outside.

Thanks

Sorry about the miscue on the sockeye. My fault really. We have over 30 employes here at the Marina.. Lots of university students some from back east. For some of them ID of fish species is not their strong suit. But It's My OOPS for just pulling the info. off the posting board without questioning it.

Here is the ling:
View attachment 13182
Sweet ling. Isn't that Thor John?

Here is the ling:
View attachment 13182

Not trying to be a pot stirrer, and i do enjoy reading your detailed reports.

But, it may make sense for you to talk to your guides and have an plan for fish species ID and general fish conservation. There's no way that ling should have been killed. The large ones are the females and they should remain in the water to lay their eggs if you want to maintain a sustainable fishery. That is a really easy thing to explain to the guest (so they release their fish) and most of the better lodges have a conservation plan in place.

I hope that ling tastes good and doesn't end up with freezer rot and being used for crab bait. Did your guide not see it was massively pregnant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to be a pot stirrer, and i do enjoy reading your detailed reports.

But, it make makes sense for you to talk to your guides and have an plan for fish species ID and general fish conservation. There's no way that ling should have been killed. The large ones are the females and they should remain in the water to lay their eggs if you want to maintain a sustainable fishery. That is a really easy thing to explain to the guest (so they release their fish) and most of the better lodges have a conservation plan in place.

I hope that ling tastes good and doesn't end up with freezer rot and being used for crab bait. Did your guide not see it was massively pregnant?
X2 on that one bro!

Ok guys.....it's a perfectly legal fish and the anglers choice to kill or release. With all due respect to your thoughts on ethics and conservation let's bring this back to Nootka/Esperanza reports....
Dude posted that pic. Im thinking its fair game to reply to it. Maybe he doesn't kill that fish next time...

Back