Cheapest Bottom Paint Needed

therise

I recently purcahsed a boat that has blue bottom paint from the previous owner, but has flaked away in several locations. I will be keeping it on a trailer, so I am looking for the cheapest kind of blue bottom paint that I can find.

Its just for looks. I cant stand the random missing spots.

Any advice?

Also,

If any one has a can left over near Port Alberni, I would be glad to take it off your hands.

Unless you're going to completely strip off the old paint, prep the surface properly and re-paint the bottom entirely, it's best to repaint with the same paint that was used previously. Do you know what kind of bottom paint is on there at present? Is it an ablative paint?

I have no idea what the original paint was. I will go to Alberni industrial marine, but was hoping to get it for as cheap as possible since it will be sitting on a trailer 95% of the time

Most bottom paints are not for boats sitting on trailer out of water. They will dry, crack and peel.
Probably what you are seeing.
You will probably need to prep and repaint with appropriate paint for boat kept out of water.
That's my understanding anyways.

Tips

Only good thing about going with the cheapest solution is that you get really experienced at re-doing it. Eventually you will tire of lifting your boat off of the trailer and settle on something that has both good value and durability.

If its out of water 95 % of the time, why bottom paint at all? Strip off the blue, use a gel coat restorer if at all, wax every year and leave it.

Drewski

Drewski,

That was my original plan, but was told it was a huge job to remove all the paint, and underneath, the gelcoat would look very rough. Has anyone done this before?

you may be able to have it soda blasted with minimal gelcoat damage

Some bottom paints come off with a pressure washer...mine does lol. Not sure how it stays on crashing waves at 25 kn but it does...

You could be just patching then patching some more in the future. Just sayin'.

I think you need to redo the whole bottom paint. Get rid of the existing and put on a good high performance system. There are lot's of new products out there like the Vivid line that are high gloss bottom paints specifically made for trailer boats. Have fun and remember there is nothing cheap about a boat:).

Last edited by a moderator:
After some research I used aquaguard paint you can buy it at can tire and its cheap. It's a water based paint so its a lot safer to use and easy to clean up. It can go in and out if the water and sit on the trailer with out it cracking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back