Old fishing pics from Strait of Georgia anyone?

I fished off of King Coho beach in the late 1980's and it was always busy. You could rent small boats and head out on your own. The weather was great, the fish were plentiful and there was always a ton of boats off Bates Beach. Wish I had taken pictures back then.

I wish I had photos. I had days out of Deep Bay bucktailing around Chrome Island with my old man in the early 70's where the Coho fishing was unreal. Non stop action until you simply got tired of reeling in fish. Man, those were the days.

PM sent Sangstercraft and Tips Up. Thanks guys.

Beauty pic there Nooky! That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Keep em coming.

Here we are in Secret Cove with part of our wild coho catch at Sangster. The hat I'm wearing is a dead giveaway this pic was taken in the eighties.

Attachments

• bb 5b.jpg
    bb 5b.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,160
Couldn't find any fishing pictures...but here's a pretty normal day of coho fishing near Lantzville. Looks like about 1979 judging my the age of my sister and me.

9u8uqegy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great thread! I started fishing in about 1987 with my grandparents out of Pender Harbour. I was 5. I have good memories of the last few years of the epic coho era. We were confirmed anchor moochers in those days, with occasional motor mooching and trolling with slip weights thrown in. I still miss that style of fishing.

Lots of days at Sangster. I can honestly say to this day that I've never been skunked there. It used to be great. I remember the big charter Fairlines coming over from the LM to fish there --Coho Fishing Adventures. Fuel must have been cheap back then!

Wish I had some pics handy, there are a few somewhere, but not of the scene, just of us on the boat. Anyway, keep them coming.

IMG-20130704-00393.jpgIMG-20130704-00394.jpg
The first is in the mid 80's, my grandpa's front yard in Qualicum. The second is the early 70's down at St Andrew's Lodge in Qualicum, Neil Mclean who fished out of the PearlMac5 and my grandpa Chuck Lombardo who fished out of the RipOff

This is a great thread! I started fishing in about 1987 with my grandparents out of Pender Harbour. I was 5. I have good memories of the last few years of the epic coho era. We were confirmed anchor moochers in those days, with occasional motor mooching and trolling with slip weights thrown in. I still miss that style of fishing.

Lots of days at Sangster. I can honestly say to this day that I've never been skunked there. It used to be great. I remember the big charter Fairlines coming over from the LM to fish there --Coho Fishing Adventures. Fuel must have been cheap back then!

Wish I had some pics handy, there are a few somewhere, but not of the scene, just of us on the boat. Anyway, keep them coming.

Boy this brings back all the memories from growing up on the docks in Secret Cove in The Summer.Coho Fishing Adventures was run by the late Fred Kuzak, He had to be one of the best light leader single hook moochers around.My brother and I spent many summers at the Jolly Roger Inn as the bait boys. Learning how to troll on the west coast was a mind boggling thing. Live bait is still availiable from the Mercers in buccaneer bay. In fact this summer some great fish were taken off Epson point and Sangster. I cant wait to put the bait bag back on and enjoy the day.

Lance

Here is one more. This one I love, my wife put the original on canvas so I could hang it in the man cave. I love the pure joy in my grandpa's face taking fish pics with his grandson. This is why I love fishing because my family involved me at young age and I was hooked. Don't hold the Canadiens jersey against me, I was young. Down in St Andrew's Lodge.
IMG-20140228-00123.jpg

Here is one more. This one I love, my wife put the original on canvas so I could hang it in the man cave. I love the pure joy in my grandpa's face taking fish pics with his grandson. This is why I love fishing because my family involved me at young age and I was hooked. Don't hold the Canadiens jersey against me, I was young. Down in St Andrew's Lodge.
View attachment 10720

Awesome photo!! I've spent a good amount of time at St. Andrew's too. I used to stay there from 1981 - 1987 a lot in the Winter. It was my home base during steelhead season.

Between Deez's and the Shady on the water side. I believe it is listed for sale.

Awesome photo!! I've spent a good amount of time at St. Andrew's too. I used to stay there from 1981 - 1987 a lot in the Winter. It was my home base during steelhead season.
Dont get me started on old steelhead pics out of the Little Q!

1897760_651014404945936_702940742_n.jpg

And back to regular programming

Discussions with old timers and this thread made me realize how big the Georgia Straight Coho fishery was. Chinook seemed like more of a welcomed by-catch instead of the other way around.

Back