Need a good mooching rod for a Islander reel

My girlfriend bought me a islander mr2 mooching reel for Christmas. I want to get a nice rod to fully appreciate the quality of this reel. Any suggestions? I will be using this rod/reel for trolling for salmon primarily.

shimano technium or a fetha Styx chrome downrigger both of my favs

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked those brands. Lots to chose from. What weight?

15-25(i think my lighter one is) but 15-30 tends to be a staple and my usual for mooching rods which will be on the rigger.

A quick tip....look at the butt of the rod and find something when buried in your gut will be somewhat comfortable. I really liked my Fenwick HMX's but hated the butt on them....switched to Technium's with a rounded butt on them (thanks Derby) and really enjoy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
15-25(i think my lighter one is) but 15-30 tends to be a staple and my usual for mooching rods which will be on the rigger.

A quick tip....look at the butt of the rod and find something when buried in your gut will be somewhat comfortable. I really liked my Fenwick HMX's but hated the butt on them....switched to Technium's with a rounded butt on them (thanks Derby) and really enjoy them.
Damn, Derby strikes again! that's where mine came from too glad he insisted,
I have my mr2's on the tech's and mr3's on the Styx and and both seem to be great match ups

I've had serious problems with Fetha Styx customer service, so wouldn't recommend them.

I have 2 Babcock Sage rods I run with my Islanders for Springs. These rods are unbelievable, and running deep have brought up 30lb Hali as well.
They are made locally, so any warranty issues are covered locally, which is GREAT - especially compared to my fetha-styx experience.

Planning to get 2 lighter ones to run for coho.

Trophy titans are what we use and love them.

X2 next best rod to a sage 100% I put mine through the ringer this year paired with a Blue me3 it nocked back most of the springs and felt almost better then a sage but hey it could also be how sexy they are built and when you match a blue rod with blue mr3 just for your daughter it's going to work. It has since replaced my gold mr2 and custom sage on my side. Love the rods going to get more this year. I told you not to buy the crap you did originally Chris . Lol

I have custom sages , g loomis and trophys titans . I mainly use my tophy I actually lent Chris my islanders and trophys and that was it they were hooked now they just need to buy my mr2s so I can buy Ables lol.

Cheers

Cheers

I matched my MR3's with Loomis G2's last year I bought at the Vancouver boat show on sale. I'm going to pick up two more next week at the show. I sold off my Trophy XL's and couldn't be happier. The Trophy's do the job and are good value. But, the Loomis G-2's are a better quality match to the MR3's...

I matched my MR3's with Loomis G2's last year I bought at the Vancouver boat show on sale. I'm going to pick up two more next week at the show. I sold off my Trophy XL's and couldn't be happier. The Trophy's do the job and are good value. But, the Loomis G-2's are a better quality match to the MR3's...

Pescador

We have 3-4 g loomis we wana sell and get all trophys I have the trophy titans, blue rods nt the brown ones. Ill pm you with all the details when I get back home

Derby

I never found any problems with the reels seats for mr2/ or 3s

Cheers

fetha styx, downrigger model, 10'6"

Couldn't agree more. Love the GL2's Loomis puts out. Have fished w/ it hard for years, no problems. Not a huge fan of the Trophys but all personal preference. Good luck with the rod hunt!

Save yourself a few bucks and just use a Shimano Convergence or maybe I'm just cheap. I have it paired up with my MR3. 10'6 is the only way to go.

I broke 3 Shimano Convergences last year, popping rigger release on 2 of them. Got warranty but still waiting for the replacements. Over 6 months now.
Cant say I'm happy with the warranty.

I broke 3 Shimano Convergences last year, popping rigger release on 2 of them. Got warranty but still waiting for the replacements. Over 6 months now.
Cant say I'm happy with the warranty.

Wow tuff luck. Hope mine last longer then that. I also have a Technium and love it.
Try lowering your cannon ball to pop the clip easier on the rod.

Back