The 2014 Bamfield Tuna Shootout!

Guess it will depend on if we have mackerel around this year...there in no commercial fishery for anchovies up here and there a very few around most times

I bet live needle fish would work.
Used them lots for fall Coho.
Should be a few bait balls around that time of year.

A good buddy is renting a 34 foot Silverton for the derby. He is looking for two other crew mates. The boat is $4000 for the week, will act as accomodation as well. Work out to $1000 per guy. Pm if interested.

A good buddy is renting a 34 foot Silverton for the derby. He is looking for two other crew mates. The boat is $4000 for the week, will act as accomodation as well. Work out to $1000 per guy. Pm if interested.

Clear your inbox, give me details deposit in hand if it sounds right.

Steady interest, with 4 more guy saying they're sending entry cheques this week. That would leave us at 11-12 spots left but we haven't seen cheques from everyone yet. Remember you're not registered until you've paid.

We will get a confirmed count next week of registered boats as we had more entries come in this week. Again cheques must be received to confirm entry, saying you're sending a cheque won't cut it. Getting pumped, 7 months and counting!

Next week Terry. Kelly is in Hawaii swimming and Jon and I are both in northern Alberta working until Tuesday. Thanks to all who are on top of it.

Great pictures sculpin. That's enough to get the tuna blood flowing. I used the peetz last year and they held up pretty good. Just have to watch the knuckes.

Great pictures sculpin. That's enough to get the tuna blood flowing. I used the peetz last year and they held up pretty good. Just have to watch the knuckes.

More than watch knuckles... watch the reel!

I was on an 8 day LR trip out of San Diego in Nov. - we got onto a school of lil yellowfin tuna 20-25lbers - I switched to my Trophy reel after a few fish on the boat gear. Since it was a wide open bite and I wanted to play! You must freespool a live bait and the only way to do this easily was to flip the drag knob OFF ( leaving the drag pre-set but dis-engaged ) so the sardine could swim away freely. When you felt a pick up, I would then briefly grab the reel rim for a hook set, then palm my hand HOT for the first run until the fish paused long enough to re-engage the drag knob. TOTAL Blast! I lost a few because palm pressure only, did not really slow the tuna much AND I was giggling like a school girl at her first dance!

So... one of my fish takes off for Japan... 3 other guest were also hooked up using much heavier tackle and their fish were straight down doing the death spiral under the boat 40-50' down. Of course mine goes right between their lines and causes a potential saw off. Everyone is yelllin! One of the deck hands steps in and demands my rod to clear the line ( OK, its what they do ) but he has no sense of how my single action Trophy reel works and as I shout " the drags not ON, the drags not ON!!!" - he takes the rod
Whappa!whappa! whappa!, bang!, bang! on every finger of his right hand!!! As the freespooling reel unloads the rod and the tuna resumes its race to Japan!!!
HA HA HA - I'm almost on the deck laffin so hard I can barely stand.
The fish comes off and the deckhand is dumbfounded... I don't care - it was too much fun and there's plenty more to be had ( final count was over 240 fish in 3 hour bite )
But the posts on my reel took a beating and are bent. I kept fishing w my spare reel and the Americans were all muttering about 'crazy Canadians' and their goofy reels

Attachments

• Reel_posts[1].jpg
    Reel_posts[1].jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 349
  • YFT on Trophy.jpg
    YFT on Trophy.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 351
With all of the fishing and prep for summer going on it's easy to forget about the Bamfield Tuna Shootout! As always we are working behind the scenes to keep things on track and create a one of a kind event. We have already had huge support from a number of sponsors listed at the bottom of the link. There are still approximately 10 tickets available, don't wait until it's too late.

http://www.bctough.com/tuna/

I believe that last year you offered free ice and moorage for guys that slept aboard. I know you had fewer entries, but will that be the case for this year too?

Back