Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

Sorry...friends secret spot...can't really say. Can say that it was between 60-140 on some structure.

In fly fishing circles that secret spot is often called "Frenchman's Creek" so I'll assume in this case it's "Frenchman's Reef" :)

DVL, did you eat that thing? I have caught them but thought of them as too ugly to eat.

Are you kidding me? Ling Cod is a beautiful white fleshed fish. . . It's delicious. Catch it fresh and through it in a pan with butter and nothing but a little salt in pepper with perhaps a light drizzle of lemon. Can't beat it. Or throw it on the Barbie with a good blackened recipe.

I think he was referring to the Cabazon...I have had them fresh and they were decent...not fresh not so much

DVL, did you eat that thing? I have caught them but thought of them as too ugly to eat.

I left half with my cousin and I have frozen the other half...it was pretty ugly...but it will become fish tacos!

Lings--it would be gone already....

The cabazon is a member of the sculpin family. Mmm sculpin...

I kept one last year and it was not a nice fish to clean. Felt grose. Gave it away.

I remember eating one years ago and enjoyed it then though I bet the meat is good they are just all head and bone you don't get much meat compared to the size of the fish.

I believe the Cabazon is another one of those species that pee through their skin (correct me if I'm wrong).

Ones I've tried to butcher for eating (total about 2) had quite a few worms in them so re-gifted to the garden.

They've never been commercially regarded as viable.

went through polier pass and straight out for approx. 10 miles , fished for sox with pink squirts. managed 1 , 5 pound coho and 2 sox about the same size. very calm hot day. taked to guy at crofton ramp said he limited out........C.A.

I believe the Cabazon is another one of those species that pee through their skin (correct me if I'm wrong).

Ones I've tried to butcher for eating (total about 2) had quite a few worms in them so re-gifted to the garden.

They've never been commercially regarded as viable.

Looking them up it seems that the USA has been harvesting them for twenty years or so and there is some commercial fishery for them...anything my fathers generation would have considered an junk fish is now a boutique item, mostly cause we have hammered all the other fish stocks.

Don't think I would take one again...although some people seem to love them.

Out at Pender Bluffs yesterday for noon slack, 8 other boats didn't see any nets over the 4hrs but talked to a couple of guys [boat to boat] who said they were out at 6:30am and picked up a couple of sox and a couple of springs but after the early bite it went dead.

Cabazon are good eating, but make sure you use a good sharp and sturdy knife to clean them. I hear that those heads are like vises and they are so tough because they eat lots of crab, clams and even oysters. They are tough skinned and you need to avoid nicking any egg sacks/roe, as there is actually some kind of poison/irritant in the sac. The sculpins with blue flesh are wicked looking, but taste like ling.

Commercial harvesting of Cabezon must be something recent...if recent can be interpreted as in the last 20 years in the USA.

The book I have on them is older than 20 years....and in this book it lists them as being of little use commercially.

Would be enlightening to know who buys/eats them or what they are used for.....

Perhaps they are sold in the stores under another name...

Where I live I've never seen one for sale in the fish department in my life..........unless they called it something else.......

Talked to a fellow yesterday says hes been catching spring salmon 20-30 lbs inside polier pass white glow squirt hootchie green flasher any one else having this kind of luck ?. I have always found the tide to be a bit much inside but maybe worth spending some time there on a slck tide.

The Ebb fish the wall along Galiano on the Victoria side ..... on the flood, the Vancouver side right at the mouth and outside the Green can. There are holes inside we generally pick fish out of too but I cant even begin to describe where and we mooched it, no trolling.

Great place for schooling bait followed by the Salmon. Bad place for Seals !

If your fishing right inside the Pass, WATCH the Bottom ! Very up and down and claims those downrigger balls if any one wants to use them in there !

HT

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Pender Bluffs for 4 hours yesterday around midday slack, another 8 to 10 boats in the area and only saw one fish on. It was picked up well off the 'wall' maybe 3-400 yards out. Have heard at my marina of the occasional fish [Spring and Sox] picked up there over the weekend but VERRY spotty. Think next time I'm going out to Salamanca to see if any of those Johnstone Strait fish have drifted over to the west side of Georgia Strait.

Back