Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

Fisher porlier this am from 6 to 11 today, no hits, didn't see any of the 5 boats around me hitting either. Very little bait to be found.

Was out at pender bluffs today seen a few boats but not many nets in the water. My buddy fishing beside me caught 2 one was a 10lber another 12lber on bait he said the seals were on him he spent some time chaseing the seal but he got his fish back less the tail.. gave a nice reminder to a fellow fishing in the rca by prevost island today to bad he decided to put his gear back in the water and keep fishing even worse to bad for him I ran into my old rcmp buddy on patrol today who went and had a visit with him. Unluckly.

Went out to try Sansum Narrows for a few hours today. Fished 2 hours before the tide change to an hour after and not so much as a bite. Didn't even really pick anything up on the sounder either. No bait and no fish. Lots of seals watching and waiting though. Saw one other boat setting up as we were packing up. Hopefully he had better luck then we did. I'm starting to think I need to find somewhere new to go in my little boat. Happy Canada day everyone.

Fished 2 hours either side of low slack at Salamanca yesterday - nada - counted 8 other boats but didn't see a net in the air. Some bait on the surface. And- good work out there SSIREELACTION.

anybody have any action out there on Canada day? Planning on heading up to Porlier for a few days this weekend....

Out around Salamanca 6 am to 10 high slack to ebb. One hit and that was it. Anchovies didn't unlock the puzzle. Currents in all likelyhood off.

Active pass

image.jpg

Went 1 for 2 bites yesterday near Collinson.
Stroked it for another 3 hours this morning without a sniff.
No one else there yesterday, one guy today, didn't see him get one either.

Yes near tide change.
Stroked it again this morn for 3.5 hrs.
0 for 2.5 bites. Still not sure last bite was for real...

Great fish tricky :)
What depth of water off of Salamanca and power lines?
I've been fishing pretty tight to shore...

Released a little guy, released a ling, lost another small salmon. That was it near collinson. One other boat there, didn't see any action there, but he was out of my sight a few times...

Released a little guy, released a ling, lost another small salmon. That was it near collinson. One other boat there, didn't see any action there, but he was out of my sight a few times...
Pretty close to shore down from the Power Sign couple hundred feet. Collinson hey. . .Never had much luck there. Just a couple hundred metres around the corner from the entrance to the Pass?

Either end of the Pass itself can be great. The Victoria end, the ol' commercial troll use to loop that mouth of the pass from Galiano towards Provost towards North Pender, to Mayne's Helen Point and Vavoom ..... them biggies still go through there at times ....... The Vancouver side from Pass mouth towards powerline, Salmanalca area's can usually produce some fish if your persistent , the seal population in that area is completely out of control there that has caused the fish to just run through he pass, When they used to hold for days at times, also the lower abundance of herring spawn compared to years past. I miss fishing the Pass, we live mooched it for years and years, then cut plug it for years and years, mean while the Commercial troll did there thing, we got springs to 55 and on down. Oh the good ol days.

Collinson, Salmanalca if your trolling. Inside can be a gong show trolling.

Good luck

image.jpgimage.jpg

Fished the commercial troll pattern at low slack this morn. Had two decent fish on, lost em both on the single barbless spoon. Damn it.
Few rockfish, couple lings. Pretty hard work with all of the crap in the water, tide, seals, ferries ect. Had fun though.
Hooked about 7 salmon in 4 mornings of fishing around collinson pt which I always fish for a week each summer. Only landed one undersize for release, and one number one red that fed the whole extended family. Kinda funny that after outboard parts, fuel, tackle ect, it probably cost $50 per pound!
Worth every penny :)
See ya next year

Back