Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

It wasn't hot by any means, at least not between 7 and 11. We got 2 fish in the boat on two hits, but wasn't seeing anyone else catch anything (wasn't lookin to hard either...) The weather was fantastic though!! I'm going out there now again, hopefully we can pick up another couple.

fished the tide change yesterday at salamanca 1 hr after tide change pu a 10 lber 122 ft down with a spoon bait was not getting any hits.seen a red and white 18 ft open hull boat with 8 people fishing in the closed area just out of active pass on the left by canbouy gave them the warning not to fish there if i see them there today there will be a call to the hot line.

Call the hot line right away......every time..........I have a feeling I Know the exact boat,,,Come from the mainland every saturday and moor out of sturdies bay.

One hit, One fish. 21lb white spring at Porlier on an irish cream coho killer. 80 feet on the rigger in 90 feet of water. Fought like a freight train. Great times, too bad no more around though.

Nice one vanislehunter! Good fish for the gulf islands. We picked up 2 barely legals at porlier on sat and 1 nice teenager at Salamanca today... Only hit of the day. Chovies were working best for us this weekend.

fished salamanca yesterday not a sniff talked to a few boats guys were getting a few hits but nothing sticking on the hooks.stopped and gave another guy a nice reminder he was fishing in the rca area out side gossip island. I am pretty sure you can not troll for salmon in the rca areas as well ?.Correct me if i am wrong.

fished salamanca yesterday not a sniff talked to a few boats guys were getting a few hits but nothing sticking on the hooks.stopped and gave another guy a nice reminder he was fishing in the rca area out side gossip island. I am pretty sure you can not troll for salmon in the rca areas as well ?.Correct me if i am wrong.

Permitted Fishing Within Rockfish Conservation Areas
Photo: quillback rockfish Quillback rockfish
Recreational fishing
invertebrates by hand picking or dive
crab by trap
shrimp/prawn by trap
smelt by gillnet
Commercial fishing
crab by trap
prawn by trap
scallops by trawl
salmon by seine or gillnet
herring by gillnet, seine and spawn-on-kelp
sardine by gillnet, seine, and trap
smelt by gillnet
euphausiid (krill) by mid-water trawl
opal squid by seine
groundfish by mid-water trawl
Fishing activity not listed above is restricted.

Recreational fishing
crab by trap
shrimp/prawn by trap
smelt by gillnet
Commercial fishing
crab by trap
prawn by trap
scallops by trawl
salmon by seine or gillnet*
smelt by gillnet
opal squid by seine

*Weird that seining and gill netting are permitted in an RCA.

Recreational fishing
crab by trap
shrimp/prawn by trap
smelt by gillnet
Commercial fishing
crab by trap
prawn by trap
scallops by trawl
salmon by seine or gillnet*
smelt by gillnet
opal squid by seine

*Weird that seining and gill netting are permitted in an RCA.
Even worse is "midwaterTrawl" no monitoring and no way to prove or dis-prove depth of trawl. Any midwater trawler can get down to 20 feet off the bottom and drag up everything

Arrived at salamanca right as realaction was heading south yesterday. Slow for the first hr. all other boats left then the bite was on. Two 12 lber back to back. Then lost two real nice hits due to newbies on board. Definatly had some good hits that didnt stick though. Unfortunatly had to head in to drop one guest off at the ferry. Headed out to fairfax after that and got another matching 12 lber. Two on green glow spoon and one for andrew p s sand lance spoon

Fished salamance today not a sniff.But I did see the open 20ft blue aluminum boat kept at sturdies bay with the 6 guests on board fishing the closed rca out of active pass. It was nice to see the capatain put a bandana sun glass and a hat when i approached your boat. Fear not oh mighty capatain the picture the dfo will be getting clearly shows your boat and you clearly know what you were doing and where you were.Shame on you :(

Shame on him is right. I saw the same boat at the same RCA a couple of weeks ago and everyone onboard was incognito.
Lets hope the dfo acts on your good deed.

I see that same blue boat out there regularly as well. Usually have about 6-8 people on board and always bouncing bottom for rockfish / ling / etc. The boat operator / owner keeps it parked at the Sturdies Bay gov't dock and his 'guests' typically come over on a morning ferry, fish all day and then head back on the afternoon / evening ferry. I've had the opportunity over the years to sneak a peak into the coolers they have with them on the ferry and have, on several occasions, seen with my own eyes undersized ling, out of season ling and rockfish no longer than an Oh Henry bar. I have called DFO Record & Report (1.800.465.4336) on them a couple of times and got the usual DFO response (we'll look into it, thanks). Enforcement, along with most other frontline DFO staff has been cut sharply so I don't expect much to be done though I will continue to report boats breaking the rules, including fishing in RCA's, which this particular boat is infamous for.

Take a picture and send it in.i like to get the odd cod for dinner why should we all pay the price for this ding bat

I ended up trolling into that same RCA yesterday and was happy that a boater stopped in to give me the heads Up..I should of know that before I headed over there to fish ..it wont happen again...I have since checked the RCA's in that area and a good lessen learned for me. I did see a few boats all over that area in front of active pass jigging for cod.

Was over there for 3 days managed to get 3 springs at Polier pass 2 which went back as we caught then the first day ...the other one went to the fellow campers on Galliano.
Caught 2 more at Salamanca point ..all between 8-10lbs ...lost a couple of larger fish ..released a couple undersized... all action on TKO spoons at 80-100 feet on the rigger ...left last night back over the straight a very lumpy ride home

Anybody been out in the islands or heard of anyone out and about? Boats back in operation and wondering where to try out, porlier, narrows, bluffs? So many choices!!!

Back